Cumberland ATV Riders

ATV's & UTV's & Proud Supporters of our Troops!

HomeCalendarSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Bledsoe State Forest Riding--Anyone Been?
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:09 am by dkoogler

» Big Bottom Unit TWRA
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 pm by dkoogler

» Mobile Two-Way Radio
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:27 pm by ranger tim

» Any one ever ride Franklin State Park or Natural area TN
Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm by tosha20

» Tackett Creek?
Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm by bigcat

» Skyline WMA
Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 pm by pwm

» 2010 Polaris Ranger 800XP $8000.00 SOLD
Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 pm by ranger tim

» New Machine!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 pm by dkoogler

» New Place in NC Found!!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 pm by dkoogler

Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Links
Mud-Throwers

Atv Trail Tunes

Four Wheelin Expeditions

QSC

June 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Hit Counter
hit counters

Share | 

Catoosa WMA

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bootlegger
Admin

PostSubject: Catoosa WMA   Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:22 am

I have heard yes and No for riding. I went by TWRA so I could find out for myself. There exact words was NO RIDING ON CATOOSA!!! No I EVEN CALLED NASHVILLE TO MAKE SURE THEY WERE CORRECT HERE......they were. During Hunting season your allowed to transport and Animal by atv to your vehicle, but thats it.

Just a little info.

Cumberland ATV Riders

Back to top Go down
http://bootleggerperformance.weebly.com/
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Catoosa WMA   Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:26 am

Bootlegger wrote:
I have heard yes and No for riding. I went by TWRA so I could find out for myself. There exact words was NO RIDING ON CATOOSA!!! No I EVEN CALLED NASHVILLE TO MAKE SURE THEY WERE CORRECT HERE......they were. During Hunting season your allowed to transport and Animal by atv to your vehicle, but thats it.

Just a little info.

I hear ya........It really is a shame because it so close to home.
Back to top Go down
Grizz
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Catoosa WMA   Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:31 am

Just everybody strap deer to their atvs and ride around. think Wink Laughing
Back to top Go down
bigcat
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Catoosa WMA   Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:09 am

I have the whole Cherokee National Forest in my back yard and can't ride one inch of it. Evil or Very Mad

But if I rode horses I could ride any of it. co co
Back to top Go down
pistol4011

PostSubject: Re: Catoosa WMA   Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:38 am

The story I got from the TWRA was that you were allowed to ride on catoosa as long as the gates were open and a hunting season was open for the public and there was not a drawed hunt going on but you must have all hunting lic. to go with the open season I called twice to two different departments and got the same answer both times also it is in the TWRA book the same way.
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Catoosa WMA   Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:57 pm

pistol4011 wrote:
The story I got from the TWRA was that you were allowed to ride on catoosa as long as the gates were open and a hunting season was open for the public and there was not a drawed hunt going on but you must have all hunting lic. to go with the open season I called twice to two different departments and got the same answer both times also it is in the TWRA book the same way.

That's funny. I called a few months ago to the TWRA office in Crossville. They told me that all you needed to ride was the Hunt/Fish Combo plus the Type 93 Small Game or the Big Game Stamp. I asked them about scouting around for hunting locations and fishing and they said that you could use your 4-wheeler to do that as long as you had the required license.

The only time that Catoosa is closed to everything is from the end of Spring Squirrel (June 10 this year) until the 4th Weekend in August.

Seems like we got very similiar responses pistol4011.
Back to top Go down
GIP
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Catoosa WMA   Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:50 pm

I've got a co-worker that says he will show me around there sometime, and he says u can ride it, he grew up around that area
Back to top Go down
Smiley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Catoosa WMA   Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:58 pm

It's been about 8 years since I've rode on Catoosa, mostly from the Nemo side when I lived in Wartburg, lived about 3 miles from Nemo bridge so it was close. But I probably hadn't rode 10% of it. Wish it was still open to rec riding Sad Does anyone know the specific reason that they closed it down? I know that the whole area around Genises Rd burnt shortly after it was closed and it was deemed arson, I don't know if they figured out who done it though?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cumberlandatvriders.com
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Catoosa WMA   Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:22 am

Smiley wrote:
It's been about 8 years since I've rode on Catoosa, mostly from the Nemo side when I lived in Wartburg, lived about 3 miles from Nemo bridge so it was close. But I probably hadn't rode 10% of it. Wish it was still open to rec riding Sad Does anyone know the specific reason that they closed it down? I know that the whole area around Genises Rd burnt shortly after it was closed and it was deemed arson, I don't know if they figured out who done it though?

From what I was told the reason the closed it off was yes the Arson plus that Bar on Genisis Road (Hideaway) was hosting Poker Runs every weekend with alot of people involved riding up into Catoosa. You know how some people can be on these kind of events especially if alcohol is involved.

It is ashame. I wonder if there is anyway that the TWRA would open it back up like Royal Blue. Maybe a letter to the state or find out how the Royal Blue Rangers are able to ride 24/7 at Royal Blue and see if we can do the same thing.

I will fish around this weekend and ask some of them and the Lady who runs the Campground that has private access to Royal Blue.
Back to top Go down
Smiley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Catoosa WMA   Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:42 am

Rooster wrote:
Smiley wrote:

From what I was told the reason the closed it off was yes the Arson plus that Bar on Genisis Road (Hideaway) was hosting Poker Runs every weekend with alot of people involved riding up into Catoosa. You know how some people can be on these kind of events especially if alcohol is involved.

It is ashame. I wonder if there is anyway that the TWRA would open it back up like Royal Blue. Maybe a letter to the state or find out how the Royal Blue Rangers are able to ride 24/7 at Royal Blue and see if we can do the same thing.

I will fish around this weekend and ask some of them and the Lady who runs the Campground that has private access to Royal Blue.
I didn't know about riders form the hideaway. I had seen people park there to go riding, just didn't know they were riding drunk from there affraid
Back to top Go down
http://www.cumberlandatvriders.com
Bootlegger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Catoosa WMA   Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:46 am

Rooster wrote:
Smiley wrote:

Royal Blue is an desinated OHV area by the state.

Cumberland ATV Riders

Back to top Go down
bigcat
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Catoosa WMA   Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:31 pm

Rooster wrote:
Smiley wrote:

It took her 3 years and a lot of work, and legal papers to get access.
Back to top Go down
pistol4011

PostSubject: Re: Catoosa WMA   Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:42 pm

Rooster wrote:
pistol4011 wrote:

That's funny. I called a few months ago to the TWRA office in Crossville. They told me that all you needed to ride was the Hunt/Fish Combo plus the Type 93 Small Game or the Big Game Stamp. I asked them about scouting around for hunting locations and fishing and they said that you could use your 4-wheeler to do that as long as you had the required license.

The only time that Catoosa is closed to everything is from the end of Spring Squirrel (June 10 this year) until the 4th Weekend in August.

I also asked about mt roosevelt and it is the same way there except it is never closed I dont think, but it too is a WMA and is controlled by the twra
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Catoosa WMA   Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:06 pm

pistol4011 wrote:
Rooster wrote:
pistol4011 wrote:

I also asked about mt roosevelt and it is the same way there except it is never closed I dont think, but it too is a WMA and is controlled by the twra

Pistol,

There was another post that I started about the Sandy Bottoms area being closed off:

http://cumberland-mudders.forumotion.com/places-to-ride-f15/sandy-bottom-rockwood-overlook-closed-off-t979.htm

According to the Whites Creek Watershed Personnel Mt. Roosevelt down towards the south is closed off also.

I ride the Grassy Cove, Black Mtn area and last time I was up there it was still okay to ride that area.

You use to be able to ride from Grassy Cove all the way to Mtn. Roosevelt until the above happened.
Back to top Go down
pistol4011

PostSubject: Re: Catoosa WMA   Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:43 am

Rooster wrote:
pistol4011 wrote:
Rooster wrote:
pistol4011 wrote:

Pistol,

There was another post that I started about the Sandy Bottoms area being closed off:

http://cumberland-mudders.forumotion.com/places-to-ride-f15/sandy-bottom-rockwood-overlook-closed-off-t979.htm

According to the Whites Creek Watershed Personnel Mt. Roosevelt down towards the south is closed off also.

I ride the Grassy Cove, Black Mtn area and last time I was up there it was still okay to ride that area.

You use to be able to ride from Grassy Cove all the way to Mtn. Roosevelt until the above happened.

ya I heard about that, its a same for the honest and clean fun riders that go there.I always go to mt. rosie by way of the rockwood airport exit and there is still alot of good riding on that end that is available as far as I know.
Back to top Go down
bubbanewf

PostSubject: Re: Catoosa WMA   Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:24 pm

I read a lot on the TWRA site and it seems under a recent law change, OHV's can only be ridden in areas designated for them by the Head of TWRA. They have begun work on providing trails in some places because of the large popularity of OHV riding. But, it seems that all the complaints about damages from OHV riding was causing a lot of closures in the past. Firestone property just outside Cumberland county Pleasant Hill area for instance, does not allow any OHV riding.
Its important that we try not to cause erosion wherever we ride. I just rode Wind Rock and the company has carried tons of large chunks of rock onto the trails to create creek crossings and prevent erosion in washed out areas. The club did an awful lot of work on trails there, but only an org. like the company itself could afford to truck tons of stone in to shore up trails to prevent erosion. At least they are putting money back into the trails. Not just charging 17 dollars per day and running with it.
Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: Catoosa WMA   Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:53 pm

North Cumberland WMA (Sundquist, Royal Blue, & New River Units) is open to the public 24-7. The RoyalBlue Rangers are just part of the public.
Back to top Go down
Bootlegger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Catoosa WMA   Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:34 am

bubbanewf wrote:
I read a lot on the TWRA site and it seems under a recent law change, OHV's can only be ridden in areas designated for them by the Head of TWRA. They have begun work on providing trails in some places because of the large popularity of OHV riding. But, it seems that all the complaints about damages from OHV riding was causing a lot of closures in the past. Firestone property just outside Cumberland county Pleasant Hill area for instance, does not allow any OHV riding.
Its important that we try not to cause erosion wherever we ride. I just rode Wind Rock and the company has carried tons of large chunks of rock onto the trails to create creek crossings and prevent erosion in washed out areas. The club did an awful lot of work on trails there, but only an org. like the company itself could afford to truck tons of stone in to shore up trails to prevent erosion. At least they are putting money back into the trails. Not just charging 17 dollars per day and running with it.

Catoosa... I was told the same just a few weeks ago. THey said we could NOT ride there anymore.

If we was to stay on the trials i don't understnad why we can't ride. They drive all over them scratch

Cumberland ATV Riders

Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: Catoosa WMA   Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:17 am

I would suggest that everyone not take anyone's word on this subject.

Here is what the rule book has to say about Catoosa... "Entire area open on all deer hunts. Catoosa WMA will be closed to all users Feb. 1 through last Friday in March except for walk-in small game hunting from Feb. 1-last day of Feb. Guides prohibited on all hunts. Unauthorized entry or presence is prohibited between sunset and sunrise. During big game hunts, the area is open only to legal big game hunting participants. ATVs and motorized bikes are permitted only by individuals possessing a hunting and fishing license and a WMA permit, from the fourth Saturday in August through the spring squirrel season. Feral hog hunting is prohibited; boar hunting is allowed as indicated." --- http://www.state.tn.us/twra/pdfs/huntguide.pdf

JMHO, but I believe this will stand up in a court of law. A telephone conversation will not stand the test of law. If during a hunting season, take the appropriate gun along. If during a scouting session, leave the gun at home, but have the approprtiate permit an license on your person.

If you want to find out which WMA ATVs are permited and those that prohibit ATVs just search for "ATV" in the above document.

Just a suggestion... go alone, a person by himself will get the benefit of doubt... at most two riders in a group. A larger group would obviously be an organized ride... not hunting or scouting. I've ATVed Catoosa quite a bit, alone, and never had any problem.
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Catoosa WMA   Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Is this pretty much the 2010 rules as well ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.absolutetreework.com
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Catoosa WMA   Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:12 pm

I looked at the new rules and nothing has changed but ivce heard many times that its closed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.absolutetreework.com
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Catoosa WMA   Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:31 pm

There are only limited times that you can get in there and ride. The next window of opportunity will be the later part of May until June 10 (Spring Squirrel Close). Then it is shut down for the summer gates closed etc.....

February is Walk-In traffic only. Then there are the times that the big RED sign is up that says HUNTERS ONLY. I only live 2 miles from the Firetower Rd. Gate so I may be wrong.

Last edited by Rooster on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: Catoosa WMA   Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:44 pm

You can ride there now with the appropriate permit/s... from the 4th Sat in Aug through spring squirrel season.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Catoosa WMA   

Back to top Go down

Catoosa WMA
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1