Cumberland ATV Riders

ATV's & UTV's & Proud Supporters of our Troops!

HomeCalendarSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Bledsoe State Forest Riding--Anyone Been?
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:09 am by dkoogler

» Big Bottom Unit TWRA
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 pm by dkoogler

» Mobile Two-Way Radio
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:27 pm by ranger tim

» Any one ever ride Franklin State Park or Natural area TN
Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm by tosha20

» Tackett Creek?
Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm by bigcat

» Skyline WMA
Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 pm by pwm

» 2010 Polaris Ranger 800XP $8000.00 SOLD
Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 pm by ranger tim

» New Machine!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 pm by dkoogler

» New Place in NC Found!!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 pm by dkoogler

Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Links
Mud-Throwers

Atv Trail Tunes

Four Wheelin Expeditions

QSC

August 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Hit Counter
hit counters

Share | 

Arctic Cat Leaps Ahead with the New Prowler XTZ 1000H2

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Arctic Cat Leaps Ahead with the New Prowler XTZ 1000H2   Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:38 pm

Posted: Oct 3rd 2008 (Friday)Story: Don McNeilly

2009 Arctic Cat Prowler XTZ 1000H2 Review

Arctic Cat Prowler XTZ 1000H2

When Arctic Cat asked us if we wanted to attend the introduction to the newest member of its Prowler family, we could hardly contain ourselves. It has been rumored that AC’s engineers would use the Thunder Cat 951cc motor in this new Prowler—the XTZ 1000H2, which AC classified as an ROV (Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle)--and for once the rumors were true. Taking up AC on its invitation, we headed out to South Dakota to get a gander at its newest Prowler.
The flight into South Dakota was relaxing. The skies were clear and blue. It seemed like you could see forever. Off in the distance, about halfway to our destination, we could see the snow-covered mountains near Jackson Hole, WY. As we were nearing the airport the pilot came on the intercom and said the people on the left side of the aircraft would have a good view of Mt. Rushmore (he even banked the plane for a better view). It just so happened I was on the left side. Rushmore is an impressive sight--even from the air it looked massive.
Speaking of impressive, it only took one look at the Sunset Orange Prowler XTZ 1000H2 for us to be very impressed. The color is striking-- Arctic Cat uses metallic automotive paint that can be buffed and waxed if you happen to scratch the paint--and the machine looked not only beautiful but tough as nails just standing still
Arctic Cat chose an area in South Dakota’s Black Hills for a day of riding. I had thought that we would be bounding through trees and forests, but to my surprise our ride took place mainly in treeless expanses of hills, whoops, white sand and hard pack in order for us to give the Prowler XTZ a good workout. Our test area was a public designated riding area, but since we happened to be there in the middle of the week, we pretty much had the whole place to ourselves. The Sunset Orange color, along with the stylish accessories, make this machine look tough even when standing still.
Exterior Features

The first noticeable item is the hood scoop with flames on either side. It helps set the mood for the most powerful Side-x-Side on the market today. The body styling has smooth lines with a wide stance. The front sport bumper is standard, as is a two-inch receiver front and rear. There are also nerf bars on the sides for extra body protection along with rails on the top sides of the rear dump box. Speaking of the dump box, Arctic Cat redesigned the box with a brand-new latch. Not only is it easier to use but AC reversed the direction you pull the handle. Now you pull the handle from the rear of the machine towards the front. The reason for this change was because AC’s engineers discovered that if you happened to hit, for example, a bush on the dump side it was possible for the box to be released as you were driving—most riders would not look too favorably upon their gear winding up on the trail or tangled up in the bushes because of an accidental dump. While this may not be an earth-shaking development, it shows just how much AC’s engineers pay attention to every detail.
The composite box itself can hold 600 pounds of cargo. Towing capacity is rated at a whopping 1500 pounds. There’s a large storage container under the front hood that can carry up to 25 pounds of gear or you could use it a cooler to hold ice (a word to the wise, though: I wouldn’t recommend using it as an ice chest unless you plan on taking a nice leisurely ride, as there’s a good chance that most of your ice and beverages would wind up getting bounced out of it during a rough trail ride. Of course, that could also be a way to mark your way back to camp—follow the trail of ice and beverage containers lying on the trail). There’s a 25-gal.-capacity storage box under the front hood and the rear box can carry 600 lb.
Interior Amenities

As we slid into the very comfortable seats of the Prowler, we noticed the slight sag in the suspension. AC’s engineers designed the Prowler, as they do all of their performance products, to have a ride-in feel rather than a ride-on feel. The suspension depresses approximately 2.5”. Arctic Cat even paid extra attention to the foot pedals: they’re large and have a raised rough texture to help keep your feet planted where they’re supposed to be. It’s an excellent feature, as our feet never slid off the throttle as has happened on other machines.
The digital display is easy to read and shows up to 14 separate functions, such as a clock / hour meter to make sure you get back home in time, fuel level, set / reset button for the odometer / trip meter along with a speedometer (which is a needle readout) / tachometer, gear position, diff lock light, high-beam light, battery status, temperature and oil pressure light. It even glows red to make it easier to read at nighttime.
The gearshift lever is conveniently located in the console between the seats, along with cup holders, and has a nice solid feel. It’s changed this year to a cable mechanism for a more positive feel. There’s also a reverse override button next to the shift lever in case you need additional power in reverse. There’s also a convenient hand brake lever. For storage in the cab there’s a full glove box as well as two open compartments and a 12-volt accessory plug in case you want to plug in a GPS.
The Engine

Powering the Prowler 1000H2 (the “H” stands for “Hemi”) is the same motor Arctic Cat came out with for 2008 in its Thunder Cat 1000, which is made at the company’s St. Cloud (MN) plant. It’s a 951cc, EFI, SOHC, four-stroke, four-valve, V-twin, liquid-cooled powerplant. Using a hemispherical-shaped head produces a more efficient burn cycle, which translates into more power, and if there’s one thing this motor doesn’t have a shortage of, it’s raw power. Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) also helps keep the motor running at peak performance no matter what altitude or weather you happen to be riding in. Riders who live in areas with substantial elevation changes should love this. I ride in Arizona most of the time, and often we’ll start a ride at the 3000-foot mark and before the day’s over we’ll be at 7800 feet. That’s also a reason to appreciate the large-capacity (8.2-gal.) fuel tank. To keep the engine running cool there’s a high-capacity radiator with a thermostatically controlled cooling fan located high under the front hood. Even though the Prowler XTZ 1000 H2 weighs approx 1300 lb., it flies through the air with ease.
The Transmission

Arctic Cat uses a Duramatic automatic transmission to put the power to the wheels. This features a long-life, maintenance-free belt drive system. The Prowler also has a new clutch configuration along with different rollers and weights for increased acceleration.
With so much torque generated by this motor, the engineers designed a Spike Load Dampener to protect the driveshafts and gearing. Huh? Well, if too much torque is sent through the driveshaft, the system allows the rear differential to slip for a split-second, thus dampening the torque load. This isn’t a speed restrictor, but it simply saves you from sending more power through the drive system than it can handle, thus saving you from a hefty repair bill. Arctic Cat also uses this same system on the Thunder Cat 1000, and it works great.
Launching This Bad Boy

Turning the key on the Prowler will accomplish two things: bring the motor roaring to life and put a smile on your face. The rumble of the mighty V-twin 951cc motor will bring to mind the throaty growl you get when you fire up the engine on one of those great ‘60s / ’70s-era “muscle cars” like the Pontiac GTO, the Dodge Challenger or the Mustang Mach I. At least it did for me, and I loved it.
A few of us took off into the Black Hills riding area to see what terrain we could find to test this awesome machine. As we surveyed the area we saw a large, steep hill with a trail going straight up—the perfect spot to see how the four-wheel drive worked. It was at this point we discovered another feature we really liked: the rocker switch on the dash where you could pick two-wheel drive, four-wheel drive or four-wheel full electronic diff lock (you can actually hear the front differential lock up). The hill looked steep and loose, so we put the gearshift in Low and took off for the hill. The Prowler actually leaped forward, but then sputtered. That’s when we found out that the Prowler has a rev limiter when it’s in low range. We stopped, put it back in high four-wheel drive with diff lock, punched the throttle and flew up the hill. As it turned out, there’s so much power in the Prowler XTZ that we never needed to use low range; the torque is unbelievable. The sound of the amazing 951 twin is incredible. The rack-and-pinion steering gave the machine very precise handling, whether on the trails or in the dunes. Its power lets it fly through the air with ease, and its reservoir shocks let it soak up landings like a Trophy truck. Rear independent suspension.
Coming back down the hill we had a chance to see how the engine braking worked. Arctic Cat has always done a good job with engine braking, and this new machine was no different. The all-new outboard-mounted rear disc brakes provided excellent stopping power as well.
Next we stopped at a spot that had a great launch pad where we could test out not only the power of the 951cc motor but the sport-tuned suspension as well. I couldn’t believe the air this big machine was getting. The landing was plush and predictable. There were a few times I didn’t hit the perfect line, so I came down off camber, but the Prowler leveled out without hesitation. With 10” of ground clearance and 10” of front and rear suspension travel, we never found any terrain that was even a remote challenge to the Prowler.
The machine’s performance package includes gas-charged shocks along with Arctic Cat’s monotube A-arm design. AC also added a stylish new cast aluminum wheel package with Goodyear MTR tires. Fronts are 26x9R14 and rears are 26x11R14, which we found to have excellent traction.
Conclusion

It’s difficult to explain in words just how powerful this new Prowler XTZ really is. Suffice it to say that I just could not keep off the gas. This machine will give you an adrenaline rush that is virtually indescribable. The second you hit the throttle, the Prowler 1000XTZ will rocket forward. It’s hard to imagine a Side-x-Side with this much power. To give you an idea, though, consider this: the next closest machine in its class claims a top speed of 63 mph—the Prowler will top that by at least 20 mph!
It may be hard to believe that a 60-inch-wide machine (MSRP $13,999) that weighs in at 1243 lb. dry could have that kind of speed.
Believe it.
Specifications: Arctic Cat Prowler XTZ 1000 H2 EFI

• Displacement: 951cc
  • Engine Type: V-Twin, SOHC, 4-stroke, 4-valve
  • Bore & Stroke: 92x71.6mm
  • Cooling System: Liquid w / fan
  • Transmission: Automatic CVT w / EBS, Hi / Lo range & Reverse
  • Drive System: 2 / 4 WD + Electronic Diff Lock
  • Overall Width: 60”
  • Overall Height: 75”
  • Overall Length: 118.5”
  • Wheelbase: 75”
  • Suspension Travel: 10” front / rear
  • Ground Clearance: 10”
  • Suspension Type: Front and rear double A-arm
  • Brakes: Front and rear hydraulic disc
  • Tires: Front 26x9-14, Rear 26x11-14
  • Fuel Tank: 8.2-gal. capacity
  • Rack / Box / Flatbed Capacity: Rear, 60 lb.
  • Under-hood Storage Capacity: 25 lb.
  • Towing Capacity: 1500 lb.
  • Alternator: 25 amps
  • Speedometer: Analog
  • Odometer: Digital
  • Dry Weight: 1243 lb.
  • Available Color: Sunset Orange Metallic Paint
  • Special Features: Foot rails, cargo box rails, gas-charged shocks
  • MSRP: $13,999

Additional Photos

Climbing this hill wasn’t much of a challenge for the powerful 951 V-Twin Hemi motor.Interior view.
On the top of the heap.

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup,  2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
big red don

PostSubject: Re: Arctic Cat Leaps Ahead with the New Prowler XTZ 1000H2   Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:21 pm

I hope polaris is taking notes. 1000cc razor anyone?
Back to top Go down
REPOMAN

PostSubject: Re: Arctic Cat Leaps Ahead with the New Prowler XTZ 1000H2   Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:36 pm

big red don wrote:
I hope polaris is taking notes. 1000cc razor anyone?
oh ya Thumb
Back to top Go down
Razorbak75
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Arctic Cat Leaps Ahead with the New Prowler XTZ 1000H2   Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:06 am

I hope they have one at the local BassPro. I'm going there Friday and picking up some riding gloves and other riding gear for this weekend. I will check it out when I get there if they have one. That thing is nice. I was looking at AC when I got the foreman but AC was next on my list.
Back to top Go down
BigDaddy

PostSubject: Re: Arctic Cat Leaps Ahead with the New Prowler XTZ 1000H2   Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:09 am

PWM.....this should be your next ride!!
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/bigdaddywilbur
Bootlegger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Arctic Cat Leaps Ahead with the New Prowler XTZ 1000H2   Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:31 am

BigDaddy wrote:
PWM.....this should be your next ride!!

I agree....easier on you shoulder.. Wink

Cumberland ATV Riders

Back to top Go down
http://bootleggerperformance.weebly.com/
Moose
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Arctic Cat Leaps Ahead with the New Prowler XTZ 1000H2   Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:38 am

Nice!!! Thumb
Back to top Go down
Bald Eagle
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Arctic Cat Leaps Ahead with the New Prowler XTZ 1000H2   Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:46 am

No more 'throttle thumb' for PWM!
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/BaldEagle7164?vhost=community
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Arctic Cat Leaps Ahead with the New Prowler XTZ 1000H2   Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:22 am

I love the color. It will be my next ride as long as the boss don't find out Very Happy

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup,  2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
BigDaddy

PostSubject: Re: Arctic Cat Leaps Ahead with the New Prowler XTZ 1000H2   Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:05 am

sell both of them....that way she can have you drive her around!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/bigdaddywilbur
OutlanderDan
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Arctic Cat Leaps Ahead with the New Prowler XTZ 1000H2   Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:48 am

A 1000cc Can-Am SxS would be great...if they ever decide to get in the game.

The color is pretty for sure.
Back to top Go down
Airborne LT

PostSubject: Re: Arctic Cat Leaps Ahead with the New Prowler XTZ 1000H2   Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:14 pm

That new Cat looks mean for sure! I would like to drive it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Arctic Cat Leaps Ahead with the New Prowler XTZ 1000H2   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1