Cumberland ATV Riders

ATV's & UTV's & Proud Supporters of our Troops!

HomeCalendarSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Bledsoe State Forest Riding--Anyone Been?
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:09 am by dkoogler

» Big Bottom Unit TWRA
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 pm by dkoogler

» Mobile Two-Way Radio
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:27 pm by ranger tim

» Any one ever ride Franklin State Park or Natural area TN
Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm by tosha20

» Tackett Creek?
Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm by bigcat

» Skyline WMA
Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 pm by pwm

» 2010 Polaris Ranger 800XP $8000.00 SOLD
Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 pm by ranger tim

» New Machine!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 pm by dkoogler

» New Place in NC Found!!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 pm by dkoogler

Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Links
Mud-Throwers

Atv Trail Tunes

Four Wheelin Expeditions

QSC

August 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Hit Counter
hit counters

Share | 

Doing a "Go To"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
winwun

PostSubject: Doing a "Go To"   Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:54 pm

I have a Garmin Quest I use on my Honda Rincon, and I have quite a few bread-crumb trails for Pickett and also quite a few different waypoints marked.

Saturday, I got a little "misplaced" on the way back to the truck, and it was nothing serious with all the riders running around, it was easy enough to ask people which way to go, but I was wondering what would happen if I had decided to do a "Go To" on the quest, how it would know to guide me back to the parking lot, which is one of the waypoints I have in the quest.

Since all the area is only bread-crumbs, with no streets or marked roads, it wouldn't be worth a nickle to be guided "cross-country", at least at Pickett, and I wouldn't be at all interested in doing a "backtrack".

Is there any software that could be loaded for Pickett that would allow the Quest to do a "Go To" without it taking you off a cliff ? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Smiley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Doing a "Go To"   Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:02 pm

I think Rooster has several of the trails mapped out on his GPS. I think he has them to where you can load up the trails on your unit. I wouldn't do a Go To without the trails already predefined because it could send you off a cliff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cumberlandatvriders.com
Bootlegger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Doing a "Go To"   Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:08 pm

I think you would put track back to the parking lot and follow that route... think

Cumberland ATV Riders

Back to top Go down
http://bootleggerperformance.weebly.com/
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Doing a "Go To"   Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:16 pm

Bootlegger wrote:
I think you would put track back to the parking lot and follow that route... think

A track back would only work if you were tracking that days ride. Then it would send you back the way you came.

In Leonard's situation he didn't want to Track Back but Go - To. In order to use a Go-To you need to set a Waypoint for the Parking Lot. Then when you are out on the trail you can FIND the waypoint and select it. On of the options should be Go-To. It will show you a straight line back to that Waypoint.

In reality a Go-To is not much good except it will show you the general direction to that WayPoint. Having the complete trail tracks would help alot in this situation as you could at least see if the trail you were on was heading you in the right direction.
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Doing a "Go To"   Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:20 pm

Yeah That

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup,  2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: Doing a "Go To"   Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:41 pm

Rooster wrote:
Bootlegger wrote:
In reality a Go-To is not much good except it will show you the general direction to that WayPoint. Having the complete trail tracks would help alot in this situation as you could at least see if the trail you were on was heading you in the right direction.
This is where a map like my North Cumberland Trails map loaded into your GPS works like a charm. Last winter we were at the south end of New River. We needed to go to the Swinging Bridge which I didn't have marked. I did have Norma marked; which is only a 1/2 mile to the North of the Swinging Bridge. I didn't have the trails mapped at that time either, but I did have a lot of the old abandoned roadways. So I tried it and set the GoTo to navigate us to Norma. It kept the direction to Norma on the screen. It works without tracks... but it works better with tracks. You simply make turn choices when you come to the next intersection. Sometimes you hit deadends, or too rough of a trail... then you have to back up and take the next turn going the way you want to go.

BTW, it works better on water...
Back to top Go down
Bootlegger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Doing a "Go To"   Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:12 am

Dan wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Bootlegger wrote:
This is where a map like my North Cumberland Trails map loaded into your GPS works like a charm. Last winter we were at the south end of New River. We needed to go to the Swinging Bridge which I didn't have marked. I did have Norma marked; which is only a 1/2 mile to the North of the Swinging Bridge. I didn't have the trails mapped at that time either, but I did have a lot of the old abandoned roadways. So I tried it and set the GoTo to navigate us to Norma. It kept the direction to Norma on the screen. It works without tracks... but it works better with tracks. You simply make turn choices when you come to the next intersection. Sometimes you hit deadends, or too rough of a trail... then you have to back up and take the next turn going the way you want to go.

BTW, it works better on water...

Sounds Cool Dan... Cool

Cumberland ATV Riders

Back to top Go down
http://bootleggerperformance.weebly.com/
winwun

PostSubject: Re: Doing a "Go To"   Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:35 am

It would be nice if you could open up a "second screen" sort of thing, where you would be on a clean slate and not have to be confused with all the bread-crumbs previously laid down.

That way, at least a track-back could be easily accomplished.

I should have stayed with Rooster -- as it was he was about 2 minutes behind me anyway . . .

Man, what a ride -- good weather -- good people -- good machine -- good trails -- good everything . . .

People that don't have 4-wheelers need to move their butt from the city rut and see what God has in store for them . . .
Back to top Go down
S.C.

PostSubject: Re: Doing a "Go To"   Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:58 am

If its a gpsmap model , you can start the tracking when you pull out of the parking lot and whenever your ready to head back , follow the track ( self mapping ) back , you have a nice map you have made duing your ride to get back with .

I mark all the intersections or confusing spots also . When I get home I can add trail #'s to the waypoints I've marked . Like that secert , nice trial off of T 57 at WR we found last year
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its a secert trail , so I can't tell you !!! pistol
Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: Doing a "Go To"   Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:35 am

Tngrizzly700 wrote:
Like that secert , nice trial off of T 57 at WR we found last year
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its a secert trail , so I can't tell you !!! pistol
Hehe... I got all those on my map... in the GPSr. Works fine.
Back to top Go down
bubbanewf

PostSubject: Re: Doing a "Go To"   Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:02 pm

Wouldn't it be nice if our trail GPS's worked like the Garmin for the road. At each intersection in the trail, a sweet voice would ring out with: In ten feet, turn left!! RECALCULATING! LOL
Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: Doing a "Go To"   Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:26 pm

bubbanewf wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice if our trail GPS's worked like the Garmin for the road. At each intersection in the trail, a sweet voice would ring out with: In ten feet, turn left!! RECALCULATING! LOL
The map has to be "routable" in order to do that. I been working on it but haven't figured out how to do it yet, at least not on my GPSr. I do know this... saved tracks are not routable.
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Doing a "Go To"   Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:03 pm

I cant see the advanatage of having it unless you just want to return to the car.
Now with your maps loaded Dan i could see a deffinate advantage for those trying to just get out there .
Which models work with your map ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.absolutetreework.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Doing a "Go To"   

Back to top Go down

Doing a "Go To"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1