Cumberland ATV Riders

ATV's & UTV's & Proud Supporters of our Troops!

HomeCalendarSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Bledsoe State Forest Riding--Anyone Been?
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:09 am by dkoogler

» Big Bottom Unit TWRA
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 pm by dkoogler

» Mobile Two-Way Radio
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:27 pm by ranger tim

» Any one ever ride Franklin State Park or Natural area TN
Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm by tosha20

» Tackett Creek?
Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm by bigcat

» Skyline WMA
Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 pm by pwm

» 2010 Polaris Ranger 800XP $8000.00 SOLD
Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 pm by ranger tim

» New Machine!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 pm by dkoogler

» New Place in NC Found!!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 pm by dkoogler

Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Links
Mud-Throwers

Atv Trail Tunes

Four Wheelin Expeditions

QSC

October 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Hit Counter
hit counters

Share | 

Driving GPS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JWMullins79

PostSubject: Driving GPS   Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:36 pm

Aight, a little different, but how many of ya'll have GPS turn by turn units in your vehicles. We have one in each truck and I don't know how I ever lived without it. We'll go somewhere and then on the way back I'll set it to avoid Highways and start back home. It's amazing how many back roads you think you know, till you get proven wrong by one of these things. Both of the ones we are using are Garmin Nuvi's.........and I absolutly love it.
Back to top Go down
bamajeepjunkie
TCM Race Team

PostSubject: Re: Driving GPS   Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:42 pm

I have a dell handheld computer with nav and it is great, def worth every penny. Nav is great but we always carry an atlas also, some roads don't get show up on nav.
Back to top Go down
JWMullins79

PostSubject: Re: Driving GPS   Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:45 pm

Yea, we've found several roads that ain't on the Nav, however most of them are new roads. And each year we are goin to go back and update each one of them. Can upload from the computer the new maps and down load to the units. Along with new cars (vehicle icon's).
Back to top Go down
REPOMAN

PostSubject: Re: Driving GPS   Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:58 pm

I got the Garmin 76 csx and love it for directions and also use it on my wheeler for the trails Thumb
Back to top Go down
Smiley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Driving GPS   Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:11 pm

I got a Nuvi 200 for Christmas, still finding out all of it. It makes me laugh on my way into work, the shortest distance takes me across a dam that is closed for repairs and a new road was built for a bypass. Well the new road is not on the map and it goes crazy telling me "Turn Left, Turn Left, Turn Left!!!!" Then I'm Off Road and it tells me to turn around till I get to the other end of the new road and it recaluclates to where I'm at then. Just gotta becareful with some of them back roads it can suggest, took mine on a delivery for work the other day and it told me to again turn around and go the way I came by a "road" that was actually just a walking path cutting across the corner of the intersection of 2 roads.

I like it tho that it has most of the side roads marked when road signs could be tore down / missing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cumberlandatvriders.com
Tennessee Tornado
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Driving GPS   Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:48 pm

Smiley wrote:
I got a Nuvi 200 for Christmas, still finding out all of it. It makes me laugh on my way into work, the shortest distance takes me across a dam that is closed for repairs and a new road was built for a bypass. Well the new road is not on the map and it goes crazy telling me "Turn Left, Turn Left, Turn Left!!!!" Then I'm Off Road and it tells me to turn around till I get to the other end of the new road and it recaluclates to where I'm at then. Just gotta becareful with some of them back roads it can suggest, took mine on a delivery for work the other day and it told me to again turn around and go the way I came by a "road" that was actually just a walking path cutting across the corner of the intersection of 2 roads.

I like it tho that it has most of the side roads marked when road signs could be tore down / missing.
roll
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/TennesseeTornado
JWMullins79

PostSubject: Re: Driving GPS   Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:37 pm

I ran across that once, was a construction road that was used a couple years ago while building a sub division.................now it's all growed up, and not able to get a truck through there without tearin up the truck. I love it none the less.
Back to top Go down
MedicMomma
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Driving GPS   Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:06 pm

I bought Scott a Garmin for his birthday. We took it to Gulf Shores and had it preset to the gas stations we wanted to stop at along the way. I loved it. I love how it says turn here or there. ONly thing is some of the roads arent there that are new. We went to Benton A while back and the bypass we were on was not on the navigation system at all. Scott said it had been there a few years at least, and the road we live on is not on there either. It looks like we are in a huge field. I like watchin me back up my drive way on it tho. it cracks me up.
I wish they would put them in our ambulances tho. It seems faster and easier for the most part.
Back to top Go down
bubbanewf

PostSubject: Re: Driving GPS   Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:13 pm

Check the internet for updates for both the operating system and the maps. You can update the system for free just by plugging in and using the program that was on the cd. If your maps are from 2008, they have come out with a new one. Of course it will cost you to purchase the new cd.
We have used ours to travel to Atlanta to a meeting and to Memphis. Both times it worked flawlessly right to the driveway of the motel.
Mine only gives the choice of fastest route or shortest route. Sometimes I would like to choose which way to go for a short time and cant. So I just do it and listen to her nagging at me because she is recalculating! Its like having the wife with me when she isnt! LOL
Back to top Go down
Tennessee Tornado
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Driving GPS   Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:20 pm

roll
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/TennesseeTornado
Wyld
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Driving GPS   Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:32 pm

Every year the mapmakers are supposed to update the maps for the GPS. Least I know Shelby county ( out of Birmingham AL) sends us their map for updates every year. But with the slowing economy this upcoming year i fear the cities will not ask for new mapping and just use their old outdated maps. Basically my job depends on them needing and paying for new maps.

Went to the Bell-buckle cafe in Bell-Buckle TN last saturday night for supper, thing is we typed in the address for the cafe and the GPS wouldn't recognize it. Had to just type in the town and go from there. Rode with dad and mom in their car and we had both our Nuvis in the car, Mine said( as we were waiting on a train) "Take U-turns when necessary". As I looked behind us, saw the sign to Bell-buckle pointing to another road right beside the tracks and told dad about it. Guess he's not used to the Nuvi yet.

If you ever go to bell-buckle, you gotta go during the moon-pie and RC cola Festival.
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Driving GPS   Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:07 am

I have used my Nuvi in 4 different countries with no problems other than me spelling the street names Very Happy

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup,  2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
Tackleberry
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Driving GPS   Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:32 pm

I have had a Tom Tom for about a year and I love it. Some places are not on the unit but I have found out that you can go to Google Earth to find the location and put it in and you are on your way..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Driving GPS   

Back to top Go down

Driving GPS
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1