Cumberland ATV Riders

ATV's & UTV's & Proud Supporters of our Troops!

HomeCalendarSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Bledsoe State Forest Riding--Anyone Been?
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:09 am by dkoogler

» Big Bottom Unit TWRA
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 pm by dkoogler

» Mobile Two-Way Radio
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:27 pm by ranger tim

» Any one ever ride Franklin State Park or Natural area TN
Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm by tosha20

» Tackett Creek?
Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm by bigcat

» Skyline WMA
Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 pm by pwm

» 2010 Polaris Ranger 800XP $8000.00 SOLD
Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 pm by ranger tim

» New Machine!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 pm by dkoogler

» New Place in NC Found!!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 pm by dkoogler

Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Links
Mud-Throwers

Atv Trail Tunes

Four Wheelin Expeditions

QSC

October 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Hit Counter
hit counters

Share | 

GPS Basics

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: GPS Basics   Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:15 pm

By:Terry Taylor
ATV at Off-Road.com

First, some basic GPS history

The Global Positioning System was invented by the U.S. Department of Defense and Ivan Gelling using eighteen satellites together with their ground stations primarily as a navigational tool to calculate geographical locations. The satellites are geostationary, or geosynchronous, meaning that they revolve at the same rate as the earth rotates, so they always stay above the same place on the earth’s surface.

Two major brand-names of handheld GPS units

There are many brands, but the most common handhelds are:

Garmin -- 22 models, ranging in price from about $115 to $550

Magellan -- 8 models, about $110.00 to $450.00

That’s 30 of the newest and most popular compact GPS receivers to choose from! How do you make a decision?

What’s your purpose?

I talked with our local sporting goods retailer to get advice. If you use your ATV as a hunting vehicle and/or want to use your GPS unit as a fishing tool, it would probably be worth your while to consider map software capability. And there’s plenty to consider. You can get CDs for varying purposes. MapSource™ has a quite a few CDs including: Roads and Recreation maps, USA Topographical Information, Metroguide – for residential and business addresses, hotels, restaurants, emergency etc., and World Map. When I was in our local sales and service center, I noticed software for Wisconsin ATV trails. I imagine most states probably have them available. Make sure the software you purchase is compatible with your brand-name GPS unit.

As trail riders, we were most interested in using our GPS for tracking our rides and finding our way home when we got lost. We decided against purchasing additional map software because trails are added and/or changed in our area often depending on weather, wildlife, and wear and tear. This would make map software obsolete shortly after we purchased it.

A few options

Here are a few of the options available on handheld GPS models.

Most have 12 channel receivers and WAAS capability

Antenna type: patch, detachable, quad helix, or built-in quad helix.

Acquisition time, the time it takes the unit to acquire satellite information based on manufacturer literature. Garmin - 0:15 to 0:45 seconds, Magellan – 0:15 seconds to 2:00 minutes.

Navigation accuracy will vary from <15m (Garmin) to <7m (Magellan) depending on number and strength of satellites acquired.

MB of memory: 1 to 115.

Number of waypoint and route storage capability. Most store from 1to 50 routes and 50 to 250 waypoints.

Most have waypoint icon options. It’s nice to be able to plug in an icon, a gas pump icon, for example, at your favorite fill-up.

Some have a tracback mode option, but some don’t. Since our primary use was to keep us from getting lost in the woods, we opted for tracback.

Compasses. GPS computes compass headings if you are moving forward at least two MPH. Some units have an electronic compass that allows the user to read the heading while standing still.

Barometer and altimeter.

Calendar.

Battery life from ten to thirty hours. Most units can use AAs. We plug ours into to the 12 volt jack on our quads. See photo.

Display sizes vary from1.7 x 1.3 to 2.2 x 1.5.

Number of pixels varies from 128 x 64 to 288 x 160.

Display type: color or gray scale.

Alarm capability.

USB or serial capability.

Hunting/fishing calculations

Celestial calculations.

Tide information.

Unit size (HWD): 2.9 x 6.4 x 1.33 to 7.5 x 2.3 x 1.8.

Unit weight: 5.30 to 12.25 oz.

Waterproofing. Most are IPX7.

Garmin GPS 60

We chose the Garmin GPS 60 because price was an issue (approximately $180) and we weren’t interested in a lot of memory (1 MB) for software storage for maps. It stores up to 50 routes with 250 waypoints in each. It automatically puts in the date and time of a waypoint, and then assigns a number that can be changed to a name using the rocker switch. We thought the Tracback mode option on the Garmin 60 was important for our uses. The display size is 2.2 x 1.5 with 240 x 160 pixels in a gray scale display. Unit size is 6.2 x 2.7 x 1.4., 5.4 oz. without batteries.

GPS Mounts

There are a variety of GPS mounts made just for ATVs. They range in price, beginning at about $60. As you can see in the photo, we tuck our unit into a small pouch along with our cell phone.

GARMIN GPS 60, Basic Operation

The Garmin GPS 60 has 5 main pages or screens and indicates the level of battery charge in the upper left corner. When you turn it on, it opens to a greeting page and then automatically goes to the Satellite page.

Satellite Page: displays longitude and latitude coordinates. Includes the number of satellites providing information and the relative strength of each signal.

Information Page: heading, speed, max speed, odometer, elevations. You can program your choices and whether you want small or large print, which is nice for people (like us) who usually need reading glasses to see anything smaller than a matchbook.

Map page: Zoom out to 200 miles and in to 20 feet. You can set the unit to declutter the screen of extraneous information.

The solid triangle indicates your present location. You can depress the “quit” button to back up a page without altering any settings. You can set North at the top of your screen or Heading at the top of your screen. We like North at the top, and use Heading at the top of screen to orient ourselves to N. The Map Pointer/arrow will give latitude and longitude coordinates as you move it around the map and will also calculate mileage as the crow flies. Tracking is automatic and is shown by small black dots. Double dots appear when you are tracking back, but they are very small so you need to look closely at the screen to see whether they are single or double. You can get 2D or 3D navigation, depending on the number of satellites that are drawing information.

Compass page: shows reading with either North at top or Heading at top of unit. Gives “as the crow flies” information.

Menu page: shows 12 available icons from which to choose including: calculator, tracks, routes, date, setup, and others.

We are primarily trail riders and so are most interested in marking points on our travels, called waypoints, so we don’t get lost. Use the “mark” button at the point you want to mark. The unit will assign it a number and will tell you the date and time. You can also name your waypoints and add an icon at this point using the rocker switch and menu option.

Hypothetical example

Let’s say we’re out riding and come to a fork in the trail and it’s not marked by any signage. We stop and hit “mark” button. It shows up as #36 (for example). We use the rocker switch to enter a name. (We call this one, “fork number one”, for example.) Then we press enter to record the waypoint and continue exploring the trail. At the next fork, or point of interest, we stop and hit the “mark” button again. The unit names this one #37, we rename it “fire tower”. There’s a gas station here, so we add the gas icon and then press enter. You get the general idea.

At any time during our ride, we can push the “find” key and it will list all the waypoints we’ve entered so far.

More advanced maneuvers - Routes

A route gives straight line directions from one waypoint to another. You can create routes with multiple waypoints by using the Route icon on the menu page. You can also edit routes by adding or removing a waypoint, changing the order of the waypoints, or by replacing one point in a route with another.

GPS units can be complex and sophisticated. But remember, whatever unit you choose you don’t need to be an expert on every facet of operation in order to get out there and find your way around. Happy trails!

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup,  2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
ranger tim

PostSubject: Re: GPS Basics   Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:05 pm

Thanks I have been looking into getting a GPS Some good info.

Tim
Back to top Go down
powerbomb400

PostSubject: Re: GPS Basics   Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:28 pm

We ride sport quads and I use mine to help keep track of our mileage. We carry 1 gallon gas cans and using the GPS helps me know when its time to either head to a gas pump or back to the trailer.
Back to top Go down
TNGAL
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: GPS Basics   Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:10 pm

Great info pwm,thanks! Smile
Back to top Go down
ranger tim

PostSubject: Garman gps   Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:40 am

I am getting ready to buy my first GPS I like the Garman's but do not know what model to get. This will be used just for the tails (and to find my way back ) any input would help.What model do you have and any up grades.

Thanks
Tim
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: GPS Basics   Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:44 am

Tshinn there are many models to choose from that will do what you want. It really depends on the amount of money that you are willing to spend. I highly recommend the 60 series from Garmin like in the article. Maybe this link will help you decide.

Gamin Handhelds

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup,  2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
Bootlegger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: GPS Basics   Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:09 pm

I like the Garmin E-Trex Venture HC. It's great for the money.

Cumberland ATV Riders

Back to top Go down
http://bootleggerperformance.weebly.com/
REPOMAN

PostSubject: Re: GPS Basics   Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:33 pm

Bootlegger wrote:
I like the Garmin E-Trex Venture HC. It's great for the money.
Yep for the trail I say what Bootlegger said cheers
Back to top Go down
ranger tim

PostSubject: Re: GPS Basics   Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:33 pm

Are the Factory refurbished any good, new ones are only $30.00 more same on the warranty one year on both?
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: GPS Basics   Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:46 pm

TShinn wrote:
Are the Factory refurbished any good, new ones are only $30.00 more same on the warranty one year on both?
The only difference is the refurbed ones may have scratches on them. The insides are the same.

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
ranger tim

PostSubject: Re: GPS Basics   Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:50 pm

What are the pros and cons of the Ram mount for the handle bars for the GPS?
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: GPS Basics   Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:47 pm

TShinn wrote:
What are the pros and cons of the Ram mount for the handle bars for the GPS?
The pros are they keep the unit up and out of the way. They are adjustable. IMO, a must.

The cons, cost and if you decide to be part of the "Tumble Bugs" if you have them too tight, they brake. Take up a lot of room on the bars.

To me, the pros far outway the cons though.

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GPS Basics   Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:30 pm

i just bought a magellan crossover,i love it!! i can use it at work and on the rhino Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ranger tim

PostSubject: Re: GPS Basics   Sun May 11, 2008 4:29 pm

Well I pick up a Garmin gps 60 and a ram mount the gps is nice to have on the trails.
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: GPS Basics   Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:59 pm

I moved this here so it would be easier to find.

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
Venture420

PostSubject: Re: GPS Basics   Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:29 am

I am in the process of building a website for gps information. there will also be a forum. This will be an experiment. if the site goes over well and people are interested, and i have time to keep it up than i will continue to build it, and manage, but for now i am in the process of the initial build.
Back to top Go down
http://www.guidedgps.com
Venture420

PostSubject: Re: GPS Basics   Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:31 am

check out amazon, for a good new unit. I bout the venutre cx for $110 because it was the outdated version. this is a good basic unit and very compact. If i buy again i would get the 60cx or the colorado. however price keeps the colorado out of reach.
Back to top Go down
http://www.guidedgps.com
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: GPS Basics   Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:47 pm

The Colorado is a nice unit.

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
Tennessee Tornado
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: GPS Basics   Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:45 pm

Well, I settled on the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx personal navigator. (Early Christmas present) Did I make a mistake or a good decision? Now I just have to figure out how to use it....

Last edited by Tennessee_Tornado on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/TennesseeTornado
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: GPS Basics   Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:11 pm

Nope you got a good one

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
Tennessee Tornado
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: GPS Basics   Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:13 pm

Kewl, thanks!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/TennesseeTornado
Dan

PostSubject: Re: GPS Basics   Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:15 pm

I have found that one needs a bit more than a basic unit. The basic unit generally contains a bare bones map that is not as useful as most folks want. I certainly wanted more. So they offer addons in the form of electronic maps, e.g., road maps, topographic maps, marine maps, etc., and always at an addon cost.
Back to top Go down
REPOMAN

PostSubject: Re: GPS Basics   Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:00 am

I have the Garmin 76csx and finally put a memory card in it so I can load it with all the info I could ever want
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GPS Basics   

Back to top Go down

GPS Basics
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1