Cumberland ATV Riders

ATV's & UTV's & Proud Supporters of our Troops!

HomeCalendarSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Bledsoe State Forest Riding--Anyone Been?
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:09 am by dkoogler

» Big Bottom Unit TWRA
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 pm by dkoogler

» Mobile Two-Way Radio
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:27 pm by ranger tim

» Any one ever ride Franklin State Park or Natural area TN
Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm by tosha20

» Tackett Creek?
Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm by bigcat

» Skyline WMA
Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 pm by pwm

» 2010 Polaris Ranger 800XP $8000.00 SOLD
Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 pm by ranger tim

» New Machine!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 pm by dkoogler

» New Place in NC Found!!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 pm by dkoogler

Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Links
Mud-Throwers

Atv Trail Tunes

Four Wheelin Expeditions

QSC

October 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Hit Counter
hit counters

Share | 

North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Dan

PostSubject: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Fri May 01, 2009 10:00 pm

I have ported all my GPS data and info into Google Earth's 3D format. Hopefully everyone will take the time to install Google Earth, the free version, and download my map. This map covers Coal Creek, Brimstone and all of the North Cumberland WMA.

This version of North Cumberland Trails (821KB) needs Google Earth installed. Get Google Earth here... free. Uncheck "Include Google Chrome". Install Google Earth first. If you already have GE installed, then you are ahead of the game.

Next download North Cumberland Trails.zip and open the archive. Double click the North Cumberland Trails.kml file and it will open in Google Earth. Watch GE zoom to the map.

Layers settings I use...

Roads

Borders and Labels
      Borders
        1st Level Admin Borders (states)
        2nd Level Admin Regions (counties)

Places of Interest
      Geographic Features
        Mountains
      Transportation
        Airports
        Rail

Terrain

All others are unchecked... but it may be interesting to see the current weather conditions. All you have to do is check the Layer box you want to see.

In Tools / Options / 3D View
True color; Anisotropic Filtering- high; Labels - Medium; Graphics Mode - DirectX; Show Lat/Long - Decimal; Show Elevation - Feet, Miles; Fonts - both - Ariel Normal 14; Terrain Quality - Higher; Elevation Exaggeration - 2 (this make it interesting)

You may need to experiment with some of these settings... how well it works will depend on your graphics card.

My wheel causes the map to zoom. Left click and drag pans the map. Shift, left click, and drag causes the map to tilt into 3D and rotate about the pointer when clicked. Shift-Wheel tilts about center of view. CTRL-Wheel rotates about center of view. If that motion seems to fast, then slow the motion by adding in the Alt key, as Alt-Shift-Wheel slows the tilting to about half speed. The trails go up and down and over the hills in pseudo 3D... enjoy.

Google small roads are in view between ~6000' Eye Alt and ~12000' Eye Alt.

Feel free to ask questions... I'll answer them... if I can.

Latest Update: 7/12/11

Facebook page... https://www.facebook.com/NorthCumberlandTrailsMap

Last edited by Dan on Sun May 20, 2012 10:55 pm; edited 9 times in total
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Fri May 01, 2009 10:10 pm

That is cool. Thanks Dan I will have plenty of questions after I play for a while.

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup, 2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
ollie
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Fri May 01, 2009 10:15 pm

That is so COOL!!!!!!!!!!! AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Smiley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Fri May 01, 2009 10:35 pm

That is Awesome Dan, that took a lot of work to put together, Good Job Thumb
Back to top Go down
http://www.cumberlandatvriders.com
Dan

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Wed May 06, 2009 3:19 pm

I am making a Garmin GPS version of this data available for $49.95 for online access. ($54.95 on cd) If you wish to pay via PayPal, cost is $51.95.

Included are

• riding areas (WMA and CC, Brimstone boundary is missing),
  • trails (500+tracks, includes some nearby private property),
  • hydro (streams, ponds, & lakes),
  • county lines,
  • landmarks,
  • surrounding roads, and a
  • 50' resolution topo.
Each of these layers may be turned off/on as desired. NONE of the normal user space is consumed. File size is ~31 16 MB.

Known problems exist with "H" and "HC" Garmin units. The file will NOT load and these units are like me, they just don't have enough memory. It should load onto all model "x" units, and others that have the extended microSD card memory chip.

Link to Order Form. I need the 10 digit Unit ID # in order to create a map. This is NOT the unit's Serial #.

Last edited by Dan on Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:48 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : deleted)
Back to top Go down
sstandefer

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Wed May 06, 2009 6:56 pm

GREAT a new toy I have a new Magellan Crossover haven,t chance to us on trails yyet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.s3ATVSalvage.com
Dan

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Thu May 21, 2009 11:03 am

I just uploaded a new update to the GE map...
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:55 pm

So if i had your maps down loaded i could pick a trail or place and the garmin would direct me there ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.absolutetreework.com
Dan

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:52 pm

Well, sort of... I use the Go To navigation function with Lock on Roads disabled... from this you can tell which way to turn by zooming out a bit. I don't have trail routing available, and right now I can't afford it. It doesn't tell you which way, but there is enough info available that you will know which way to turn.

I tested this a few days ago... we were at the back side of New River Unit when I turned Go To Parking WR on... the process never missed giving enough information to make an intelligent choice. My buddy had just purchased a new 60CSx and was following my lead. I was trying to teach him several of the functions available to him. His comment when we arrived at the parking lot was, "The GPS was always right at every intersection."

I used Go To once prior to having the area mapped. In fact, that was our first time in that area. We were three mountains away from Norma on the Brimstone area and wanted to go to Norma. We were starting to run low on fuel and the temp was ~25F that afternoon. We followed the navigation line and it pointed the way.

Don't take this wrong, I'm not claiming my data is all up to date, or even all there. However, I believe my map is the most complete one available. Several months ago I discovered that a goal like that would be impossible. I am still discovering trails that I don't know exists. Almost every time I go out, I find something I want to add, or improve upon, or a trail has been changed, or closed, or occasionally even one gets added. It is a never ending battle, but it's a hobby I enjoy doing.
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:05 pm

Dan wrote:
I am making a Garmin GPS version of this data available for $49.95 for online access ($54.95 on cd)

Included are

• riding areas (WMA and CC, Brimstone boundary is missing),
  • trails (500+tracks, includes some nearby private property),
  • hydro (streams, ponds, & lakes),
  • county lines,
  • landmarks,
  • surrounding roads, and a
  • 50' resolution topo.
Each of these layers may be turned off/on as desired. NONE of the normal user space is consumed. File size is ~31 MB.

Known problems exist with "H" and "HC" Garmin units. The file will NOT load and these units are like me, they just don't have enough memory. It should load onto all model "x" units, and others that have the extended microSD card memory chip.

Link to Order Form.

Dan,

I received my map CD from you just in time to use it this past Saturday. All I can say is FANTASTIC and GOOD JOB. I have several GPS tracks up at Sunquist and Royal Blue. With your program being so complete I don't need mine anymore. This is an excellent product and a must purchase for anyone that rides alot in Sunquist, Royal Blue, Brimstone and Windrock.

This product has a Rooster Endorsement.
Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:30 pm

Thank you, Sir Rooster...
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:51 pm

BUMP
Ill be ordering those as soon as we get back , hopefully ill know how to use umm by then.
And then its off to hatfield, ill be ginning for the jungles of the east.
I think for atving the east coast is where its at.
Back to top Go down
raptordave

PostSubject: Thats awesome. Do you have the same for Pickett?   Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:44 pm

Dan wrote:
I have ported all my GPS data and info into Google Earth's 3D format. Hopefully everyone will take the time to install Google Earth, the free version, and download my map. This map covers Coal Creek, Brimstone and all of the North Cumberland WMA.

This version of North Cumberland Trails (821KB) needs Google Earth installed. Get Google Earth here... free. Uncheck "Include Google Chrome". Install Google Earth first. If you already have GE installed, then you are ahead of the game.

Next download North Cumberland Trails.zip and open the archive. Double click the North Cumberland Trails.kml file and it will open in Google Earth. Watch GE zoom to the map.

Layers settings I use...

Roads

Borders and Labels
      Borders
        1st Level Admin Borders (states)
        2nd Level Admin Regions (counties)

Places of Interest
      Geographic Features
        Mountains
      Transportation
        Airports
        Rail

Terrain

All others are unchecked... but it may be interesting to see the current weather conditions. All you have to do is check the Layer box you want to see.

In Tools / Options / 3D View
True color; Anisotropic Filtering- high; Labels - Medium; Graphics Mode - DirectX; Show Lat/Long - Decimal; Show Elevation - Feet, Miles; Fonts - both - Ariel Normal 14; Terrain Quality - Higher; Elevation Exaggeration - 2 (this make it interesting)

You may need to experiment with some of these settings... how well it works will depend on your graphics card.

My wheel causes the map to zoom. Left click and drag pans the map. Shift, left click, and drag causes the map to tilt into 3D and rotate about the pointer when clicked. Shift-Wheel tilts about center of view. CTRL-Wheel rotates about center of view. If that motion seems to fast, then slow the motion by adding in the Alt key, as Alt-Shift-Wheel slows the tilting to about half speed. The trails go up and down and over the hills in pseudo 3D... enjoy.

Google small roads are in view between ~6000' Eye Alt and ~12000' Eye Alt.

Feel free to ask questions... I'll answer them... if I can.

Latest Update: 5/21/09
Back to top Go down
raptordave

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:45 pm

Thats awesome. Do you have the same for pickett?
Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:50 pm

raptordave wrote:
Thats awesome. Do you have the same for pickett?
I'm not sure how much is missing...

Pickett Map in GE format

Last edited by Dan on Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:36 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : corrected bad link)
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:30 am

That is awesome Dan.
Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:01 am

I have just recently updated the GPS version... and added several new features...
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:11 pm

Dan wrote:
I have just recently updated the GPS version... and added several new features...

Thanks for the Update on my Maps. I used them at Brimstone and all I have to say is FLAWLESS. Dan you have done a bang up job with these maps. Folks if you ride Royal Blue, Sunquist, Brimstone or Windrock and you have a mapping Garmin GPS Unit these maps are worth it. Contact DAN he will hook you up.
Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:49 pm

Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:28 pm

Dan wrote:
Dan I need you to hook me up with this as well. Please give me a call and I can meet you sometime.

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup, 2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:36 pm

Phil, just snail mail the Order Form.
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:17 pm

Will do Dan

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Dan wrote:
Phil, just snail mail the Order Form.
Its in the mail.

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:56 pm

I'll watch for it... thanks...
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:18 pm

You will be pleasantly surprised Phil.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version   

Back to top Go down

North Cumberland Trails Map - Google Earth Version
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next