Cumberland ATV Riders

ATV's & UTV's & Proud Supporters of our Troops!

HomeCalendarSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Bledsoe State Forest Riding--Anyone Been?
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:09 am by dkoogler

» Big Bottom Unit TWRA
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 pm by dkoogler

» Mobile Two-Way Radio
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:27 pm by ranger tim

» Any one ever ride Franklin State Park or Natural area TN
Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm by tosha20

» Tackett Creek?
Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm by bigcat

» Skyline WMA
Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 pm by pwm

» 2010 Polaris Ranger 800XP $8000.00 SOLD
Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 pm by ranger tim

» New Machine!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 pm by dkoogler

» New Place in NC Found!!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 pm by dkoogler

Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Links
Mud-Throwers

Atv Trail Tunes

Four Wheelin Expeditions

QSC

September 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Hit Counter
hit counters

Share | 

I installed sterring damper by precision.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: I installed sterring damper by precision.   Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:48 pm

I know yall need some pics but for now , wow what a difference but ouch the $$$
So this is a story of how good they really are.
First i was able to do the install in about 20 mins on my factory newish KQ450.
I immediatly took the bike into the yard and ran it up against evry rock in my yard since i live at the bottom of suck creek i have alot of rocks.
Befor the the bike would just punch the crap out of me the KQ sterring is twitchy anyhow.
Now it just jumped up on most every rock i went at.
Here where the story gets good and bad.
My wifes first trip to windrock yall already know we chose trail 9 and 12 Trail 12 has plenty of punch options .
But befor we got to 12 we decided to do alittle test.
She was getting loose loving her new steering so i suggested she try my 750 out .
Ok she hops on drive around ona perfectly straight road and hits a root ball slash stump and it punches her so hard the bike endo's slash rolls while i watch in horror.
My wife is fast , she takes the hit hard and immediatly is on her feet running from a rolling bike.
Wow .
Moral of the story dont ever get used to precision racing steering damper then get on a KQ without it .
She escaped with bad contusions on her knee and both palms are bruised but she hung in there and drove all but the worse of trail 12.
Im installing a damper on my 750 now fo sho.
Back to top Go down
http://www.absolutetreework.com
BigDaddy

PostSubject: Re: I installed sterring damper by precision.   Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:54 pm

glad to hear she is ok........which one of these is it that went rolling down that hill? the 450? or 750? i should of said the one awhile back with the pictures......
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/bigdaddywilbur
ollie
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: I installed sterring damper by precision.   Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:20 pm

A steering dampner or a caster mod is a must do on the kings!
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: I installed sterring damper by precision.   Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:35 pm

That would be the old 450 , and that was my fault.
Ive learned better now , instead of just going up anything i see i pre scout it .
I totaled that 450 so bad .
It was salvagable ,but just barely. So mostly for psychological stand point for my wife ,since it was her bike.
I just traded the wreck in and bought her a new one . Which byt the way for some strange reason is alot better than the other new one i totaled.
This time it was proably my fault again, i let her get used to a really nice steering damper on a shorter less powerful bike .
Then i put her on my 750 with no damper and the first thing she hit was a big AZZ stump but it totally threw her.
She had gotton used to the steering of the damped 450 its so much easier.
Then wam Blast off ...
My bad im so glad she is ok.
I prayed thanks all day and all day today.We have ridden some pretty hard core stuff at the cove and this accident came as a total suprise on flat terrain.Just a twitch of the wheel , she was hugging the curve and the tire just caught the root ball.
It looked lethal ,but thank the lord live to ride another day.
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: I installed sterring damper by precision.   Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:49 pm

Hey guys quick up date , i installed one on the KQ 750 in under 12 mins.
And it is awesome , but you got to be real careful it kinda lulls you into complacency.
Back to top Go down
ollie
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: I installed sterring damper by precision.   Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:52 pm

Where did you buy yours at?
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: I installed sterring damper by precision.   Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:30 pm

Precision, i went whole hog man, very very pricy.
But installs in seconds almost, and its bomber.
Ive seen umm kinda rigged for less than 100 bucks
Back to top Go down
ollie
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: I installed sterring damper by precision.   Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:46 pm

I got a used one from a YFZ, mounting it will be a major PITA!
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: I installed sterring damper by precision.   Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:28 pm

Naw, i heard its not to bad Ollie.
Now if i had to do it , it would be bad.
Back to top Go down
ollie
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: I installed sterring damper by precision.   Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:16 pm

I am going to have my guys in the shop try to make some brackets and see how it does. Wish the pression was so $$$$$$$$!
Back to top Go down
DREWFORCE
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: I installed sterring damper by precision.   Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:19 am

im goin to put one on the can-am (prp)!! that tanks slap sucks!!! and if i decide to go on the trip out west next year i will have a set of crutchfields too lol
Back to top Go down
bubbanewf

PostSubject: Re: I installed sterring damper by precision.   Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:01 pm

Glad she came out ok.

Strange you all talking about this now. I was having a lot of trouble last year, since I was riding with a broken right thumb and didnt know it was broken. Went to a surgeon and he operated and I was in hospital for three days on an IV because of a bone infection. It started with a dog bite in the joint. Anyway, this year I decided a steering damper might help. Had them on two trucks in the past. I was shocked to find no one made one to fit the CanAM outlander,until I found Precision. But, it cost so much it was unbelievable. I saved enough to get it and tried that "so easy 20 minute install"
Well, no way Jose! I gave up after a couple hours. I had to have another pair of hands to get it done. When I finally got someone to help, it only took about half an hour. We also installed a set of extra light so I would be ready for a night ride. My CanAM 650 steers like a tank but having the handle bar ripped from my hand was not a good thing. Admittedly, I was steering with one hand but even now while holding the throttle, my right hand is not holding the bars very tightly.
The Precision damper adjusts for turns and while in the straight a way.

I see a world of difference with it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I installed sterring damper by precision.   Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:09 am

I hate to bring an old thread back, but I just ordered a precision damper for my new KFX 700. I haven't even taken it on a trail ride yet, but I know going form a power steering Foreman to this will be rough so it is a must have. I'l report back my thoughts once I get it installed.
Back to top Go down
S.C.

PostSubject: Re: I installed sterring damper by precision.   Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:17 pm

I am glad somebody could tell the difference , I shelled out $500 bucks and couldn't tell it was even on the KQ 700 .

The light steering was about my only complaint , great cushy ride , could use some more power , but if you never get on something else ( Griz ) you wouldn't know what your missing LoL .

I couldn't believe the power difference when I got the Griz 700 . The power steering was unbelieveable ! run down the trails with one hand , no kickback especially when dropping off steps or rocks , very nice .

I see the KQ"s have the power steering now , but I think I'd get another 2010 Griz for my next one . The KQ would be my second choice .

We forget sometimes how quickly a "fun" ride can turn into something else ! Glad shes ok !

S.C.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I installed sterring damper by precision.   

Back to top Go down

I installed sterring damper by precision.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1