Cumberland ATV Riders

ATV's & UTV's & Proud Supporters of our Troops!

HomeCalendarSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Bledsoe State Forest Riding--Anyone Been?
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:09 am by dkoogler

» Big Bottom Unit TWRA
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 pm by dkoogler

» Mobile Two-Way Radio
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:27 pm by ranger tim

» Any one ever ride Franklin State Park or Natural area TN
Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm by tosha20

» Tackett Creek?
Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm by bigcat

» Skyline WMA
Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 pm by pwm

» 2010 Polaris Ranger 800XP $8000.00 SOLD
Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 pm by ranger tim

» New Machine!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 pm by dkoogler

» New Place in NC Found!!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 pm by dkoogler

Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Links
Mud-Throwers

Atv Trail Tunes

Four Wheelin Expeditions

QSC

August 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Hit Counter
hit counters

Share | 

MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:30 pm

Go to TruthAboutRhino.com for Accurate Information
CYPRESS, Calif. – August 4, 2009 – The following is an official statement from Yamaha Motor Corp., U.S.A., in response to the recent CBS News story. This statement can be attributed to Yamaha Motor Corp., U.S.A. Please go to www.TruthAboutRhino.com for more information.

Safety drives everything we do at Yamaha. We are proud of the safety record and safety features of the Yamaha Rhino, which has skyrocketed in popularity due to its exceptional reliability, safety and versatility.

Over 150,000 Rhino owners have used the vehicles safely, including the U.S. military, border patrol, and a growing number of law enforcement agencies, fire fighters and other first responders. In fact, more than 99 percent of Rhino owners have operated their vehicles safely and responsibly over millions of hours of use. The Rhino has won virtually every “first in class” award and top safety ratings in independent reviews since its introduction.

The popularity of the Rhino, and the fact that it represents a new category of off-road motorized vehicles, has made it a target for some plaintiffs’ lawyers who increasingly use the Internet, television advertisements and the news media to attract clients. As the first trial dates approach in personal injury litigation in various courts, some law firms have embarked on a misleading publicity campaign to influence potential jurors and/or the outcomes of these cases, and to solicit potential clients. Yamaha will properly deal with these cases in the courtroom based on all the relevant evidence and a fair opportunity to be heard.

Unfortunately, these law firms successfully convinced CBS News to help further their disingenuous publicity campaign, and the network aired a story on the Rhino that included inaccurate, incomplete and false information.

To begin with, CBS featured an incident involving Justin Miller, but failed to mention that Mr. Miller was driving a heavily modified Rhino. As the photo of that Rhino posted on CBS's own website reveals and the investigating officer testified -- the Rhino Miller was driving had an extended cage structure, and what looks to be a back seat bolted to the rear cargo bed. The vehicle's owner signed a waiver for his purchase of a "Custom Rhino" stating that the vehicle has "additional third party parts and accessories not offered by the manufacturer" and releasing all claims against the dealer and "all other persons and entities" related to the purchase of the vehicle.

The CBS story also shows security camera footage of an incident involving Zach Murray, a former employee at a Yamaha dealership who is currently a plaintiff with his own pending lawsuit. In a post-incident letter to his employer, Mr. Murray wrote that he intentionally stepped out of the overturning vehicle. Although CBS was made aware of Mr. Murray's letter, they neglected to include mention of it in their story.

In addition, Mr. Murray was not wearing a seatbelt or a helmet. He was operating the vehicle on pavement then made a sharp, high-acceleration turn, and did not stay inside the vehicle.

A more complete version of the security camera tape shows two other vehicles being driven recklessly on the same stretch of pavement where the accident occurred, suggesting that an atmosphere of horseplay existed just prior to Murray's crash, and that the only reason for Murray to be making a sharp, high acceleration turn was to also engage in horseplay.
In a separate part of the story, CBS cites documents that discuss an early pre-prototype vehicle that had a different design than, and no relation to, the Rhino that is on the market today. Despite being told weeks ago that it would be false to imply that these documents relate to the Rhino in any way, CBS chose to include this misleading information in its report.

Yamaha was contacted for the CBS segment two months ago by Myron Levin, a freelance reporter with a long history of writing news stories that favor the plaintiffs’ bar. Yamaha provided a great deal of information to Mr. Levin, including responding to more than 40 written questions. Mr. Levin also conducted an hour-long interview with a Yamaha representative at Yamaha's offices in California. Yamaha did not agree to an on-air interview with the reporter, Armen Keteyian, because we could not be assured that such an interview would not be selectively edited and used in misleading ways with statements taken out-of-context given the obvious plaintiffs’ slant with which the CBS producers were developing their story.

Like the CPSC, Yamaha takes very seriously any reported Rhino-related accident, and Yamaha has fully cooperated in the agency’s investigation of the Rhino and its request for modifications. Yamaha will continue to work to promote safe and responsible use of the vehicles, including the active, ongoing development of standards for all recreational off-road side-by-side vehicles, including the Rhino.

Yamaha stands firmly behind the Rhino and will continue to vigorously defend the product against baseless claims and distortions, whether they be from plaintiffs’ law firms or biased, inaccurate media reports parroting these lawyers’ claims. The Rhino is a safe and useful off-road vehicle when driven responsibly by licensed operators aged 16 or older and according to the instructions and warnings in our on-product labels, owner’s manuals, and other safety materials.

About Yamaha Motor Corp., U.S.A.
Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A. (YMUS), a leader in the motorsports market, makes the toughest, most capable and versatile ATV and Side-by-Side vehicles. The company’s ever-expanding product offerings also include motorcycles, outboard motors, personal watercraft, snowmobiles, boats, outdoor power equipment, race kart engines, accessories, apparel and much more. YMUS products are sold through a nationwide network of more than 4,000 dealers in the United States.

Headquartered in Cypress, Calif., since its incorporation in 1977, YMUS also has facilities in Wisconsin and Georgia, as well as factory operations in Tennessee and Georgia. For more information on Yamaha, visit www.yamaha-motor.com.

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup,  2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
RedRockMudder

PostSubject: Re: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:40 pm

glad yamaha is fighting back. the media always puts that spin on it... well 99% of the media. i get frustrated everytime i see the commercials with lawyers talking about those "dangerous vehicles" Crap
Back to top Go down
bamajeepjunkie
TCM Race Team

PostSubject: Re: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:13 pm

Does the media ever tell the whole story? Mad I've never heard a full truth from the media.
Back to top Go down
ollie
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:27 pm

Wish some one would show all those videos in full length!
Back to top Go down
DREWFORCE
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:50 pm

lol yea and show the beer or bottle of liquor in their han b4 they drive !!
Back to top Go down
Vamped450

PostSubject: Re: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:31 am

Typical media crap. They will only show the negative part of anything and never the good stuff. I guess they think negativity is what everybody wants to hear. It is just like what is going in the middle east. All they show and report on is the negative parts that make our HEROs look bad and not the fact for the most part, the citizens over there are glad that our guys are there helping them. In my opinion, the media is the largest terriisom group in this country, they put all these negative thoughts and ideas into the minds of people. This is why I don't watch the news. It is the same old crap everytime you turn it on. If I want to know the weather or the latest sport scores, I'll look it up on the net.

Sorry for the rant, but this is a sore subject with me.
Back to top Go down
bigred1

PostSubject: Re: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:12 am

i will not defend the media in this matter, but i am also not going to blindly accept yamaha's version without scepticism, the truth and reality of the matter is several thousands of people have been hurt, many seriously and some killed by rhinos, name another off-road vehicle with similar history, not to mention the recalls and refits yamaha made voluntarily (and was going to be forced to make by the gov and courts), what other vehicle is as dangerous? check out the number of lawsuits filed: since 1-1-00 to date 1,487 (only federal and not state cases), not all related to injuries but the over whelming number were, i had a good friend nearly loose his foot because the vehicle almost turned over and he put his foot out (reflect) to keep it from turning over, a simple cheap door would've prevented it, healthy newly married 30 years old and out of work for several months recovering, happened on flat ground at low speed, comparison: last 15 + years polaris sued 636 (as of this date in federal court) times and a substantial number dealt with non injury claims, how many more polaris sold than rhinos? don't believe me go to: http://pacer.uspci.uscourts.gov/ and check it out (you have to register, small charges to view some documents), an unsafe vehicle is an unsafe vehicle, i would be curious to know how many people injured since yamaha put the doors on? also tell me that if you or a family member seriously injured wouldn't look to yamaha to pay your medical bills (especially if don't have health insurance) and lost income, not to mention pain and suffering, yamaha is a great company and helped the off-road industry in immeasurable ways for many years but that doesn't give them a free pass when they screwed up, food for thought
Back to top Go down
Bald Eagle
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:06 pm

1974 Ford Pinto. Now, that's an unsafe vehicle!
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/BaldEagle7164?vhost=community
bigred1

PostSubject: Re: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:01 pm

i had a 73, i know!
Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:09 pm

Hmmm... I don't think those Pinto's were anywhere near as bad as the pickups with the gas tank behind the seat. I remember one oldie that had the tank under the seat... had to tip the seat forward to fill it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:47 pm

bigred1 wrote:
i will not defend the media in this matter, but i am also not going to blindly accept yamaha's version without scepticism, the truth and reality of the matter is several thousands of people have been hurt, many seriously and some killed by rhinos, name another off-road vehicle with similar history, not to mention the recalls and refits yamaha made voluntarily (and was going to be forced to make by the gov and courts), what other vehicle is as dangerous? check out the number of lawsuits filed: since 1-1-00 to date 1,487 (only federal and not state cases), not all related to injuries but the over whelming number were, i had a good friend nearly loose his foot because the vehicle almost turned over and he put his foot out (reflect) to keep it from turning over, a simple cheap door would've prevented it, healthy newly married 30 years old and out of work for several months recovering, happened on flat ground at low speed, comparison: last 15 + years polaris sued 636 (as of this date in federal court) times and a substantial number dealt with non injury claims, how many more polaris sold than rhinos? don't believe me go to: http://pacer.uspci.uscourts.gov/ and check it out (you have to register, small charges to view some documents), an unsafe vehicle is an unsafe vehicle, i would be curious to know how many people injured since yamaha put the doors on? also tell me that if you or a family member seriously injured wouldn't look to yamaha to pay your medical bills (especially if don't have health insurance) and lost income, not to mention pain and suffering, yamaha is a great company and helped the off-road industry in immeasurable ways for many years but that doesn't give them a free pass when they screwed up, food for thought

sorry about your friend.but it was not the rhino fault.it was his.......... the arguement is stupid. any off road vehicle can hurt u bad if not kill u.but the vehicle is not to blame.the driver is the one controlling it,period.!!!!!!!!i ve riden mine for 2.5 years had havent had a problem yet.i could someday but my rhino wont be at fault.

there is no way to make any thing completly safe.iv riden atvs for more than 20 yrs and my rhino IMO is safer than any of the atvs i have ridden.every body has there own opinion,so.......... but u cant tell me that a accident was yamahas fault when they never made the buyer buy there unit or drive it.they have there a$$ covered all in the owners manual just like everybody else does with the units they sell.
nobody can tell me that the were just riding at a slow speed and there rhino just turned over.i ve had my rhino in every position possible with out turning it over .been close on some off camber stuff ,but not over.he had to off been gasing it and cutting the wheel hard!!!!!!!!!no other possible way!!!!!!the owners manual warns u about that.
all those law suits against the rhino s is because all those lawyers doing all there advertizing ,to make there pockets richer.all those people that have done stupid stuff driving there rhino s r just trying to blame there stupid mistakes on the rhino.heck i guess i could go out tomarrow and roll mine and get in on the money.notttttttttttt!!!!!!! im smarter than that. i would like to see u ride a rhino for a while and then come back and tell us how un safe they r .ur welcome to come to windrock and ride with me anytime.i ll take u on # 12 .i would like somebody to show me how unsafe they r while u ride them with respect,just like u should ride any off road vehicle.

i respect yr opinion but i definitly dont agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Grizz
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:06 pm

RedNeckRhino wrote:
bigred1 wrote:

sorry about your friend.but it was not the rhino fault.it was his.......... the arguement is stupid. any off road vehicle can hurt u bad if not kill u.but the vehicle is not to blame.the driver is the one controlling it,period.!!!!!!!!i ve riden mine for 2.5 years had havent had a problem yet.i could someday but my rhino wont be at fault.

there is no way to make any thing completly safe.iv riden atvs for more than 20 yrs and my rhino IMO is safer than any of the atvs i have ridden.every body has there own opinion,so.......... but u cant tell me that a accident was yamahas fault when they never made the buyer buy there unit or drive it.they have there a$$ covered all in the owners manual just like everybody else does with the units they sell.

i respect yr opinion but i definitly dont agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree RedNeck, it is the same comparison as guns. A gun is as harmless as a baby, but can be deadly when mishandled. Would I sue Chevrolet because I slid off the road and hit a tree? I don't think so, and it would be laughed out of court. Everybody is looking for a quick, easy dollar with no morals nowadays. I hate to see anyone get hurt also, but if a faulty part broke and caused the accident, then that is a different story.
Back to top Go down
HayStack

PostSubject: Re: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:15 pm

I AGREE with RedNeckRhino also!! nobody made me buy a Rhino. if i hurt myself while riding in it IT IS MY FAULT!! i am the driver, I bought it so simple to say if i get hurt it is my Fault. Peace out Smile
Back to top Go down
bigred1

PostSubject: Re: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:06 pm

"I hate to see anyone get hurt also, but if a faulty part broke and caused the accident, then that is a different story.": the faulty parts was the design failure by not including doors (or high inside floor board) and the high number of tip/turn overs, my only point was the rhinos injured and killed people at an extremely high rate compared to other similar vehicles until they fixed the door problem and high centered design, when was the last time (the first time) someone was severely injured in a rzr accident due to faulty design?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:27 pm

due to faulty design

that can be argued till the cows come home.there have been alot of hand injuries too.yea i have several diff tyoe of doors that i use.it was just about the first mod i bolted on mine.i saw it as a must for safty.but.............atvs dont have doors.there is not much diff.there have been alot more deaths on atvs than rhinos.where do u draw the line??? my bud rolled his wheeler 2 weeks ago at the viola ride.he hurt his leg when the wheeler rolled on top of him.whats the differance??????????a heavier vehicle is all.
how many people have been injured on tractors?? the dont have doors.this all is stupid IMO .

YAMAHA doesnt build these to ride like we ride them.they could no way keep the cost down if they tried too.thats why they have all the warning labels.the way they have the owners manual layed out is for people to ride them around there yard.anybody with any common since can ride these with out injury.people just get carried away and think they r bullet proof.people need to read the manuals and drive safe.if they get hurt acting stupid then own up to it.i hate it that people r getting hurt and dont have insurance like your bud.im sure its a bad ordeal.but in eveybody elses case.people r just driving the cost up for all the other people buying the units.
people need to look at what there buying and what they need to do to it to make it the way they need it in the mannor they will be riding it.then buy what best suits them.no diff than a car.my self i have doors and 4 pt harrnesses that can be warn.but my arms and hands r still very much at risk to be crushed by the roll bars.but is thats yamahas fault ???no!!!!
people just need to use common since and quit trying to blame someone ese for there own mistakes IMO.

lets ride!!!
Back to top Go down
bigred1

PostSubject: Re: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:38 pm

i respect your view point and do agree with you on one thing: lets ride!
Back to top Go down
winwun

PostSubject: Re: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:20 pm

Can you say "personal responsibility" ? ?

Can you take the blame when it is your fault, purely and simply ? ?

When are we going to stop blaming an inanimate object for problems caused by improper usage of the object in question ? ?

I think it starts at an early age, "The cookie jar broke, Mommy !", and Mommy, trying to placate a tearful baby replies, "Mean old cookie jar ! !", when she should have said, "No, darling, the cookie jar didn't break, YOU broke the cookie jar, and you must be punished for breaking it".

The list is endless, "The Cell Phone caused me to wreck", or "The Jeep turned over", or "The 4-wheeler flipped", or "The gun killed somebody", when all these objects could be piled up for 97 years and not hurt a soul, but let someone who has been taught that it is OK to blame someone or something else for his troubles get ahold of these items and problems occur.

Face it, people, the problem is NOT with the object, but with the improper USE of the object -- the problem is, and always has been, people, not things . . .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:26 pm

winwun wrote:
Can you say "personal responsibility" ? ?

Can you take the blame when it is your fault, purely and simply ? ?

When are we going to stop blaming an inanimate object for problems caused by improper usage of the object in question ? ?

I think it starts at an early age, "The cookie jar broke, Mommy !", and Mommy, trying to placate a tearful baby replies, "Mean old cookie jar ! !", when she should have said, "No, darling, the cookie jar didn't break, YOU broke the cookie jar, and you must be punished for breaking it".

The list is endless, "The Cell Phone caused me to wreck", or "The Jeep turned over", or "The 4-wheeler flipped", or "The gun killed somebody", when all these objects could be piled up for 97 years and not hurt a soul, but let someone who has been taught that it is OK to blame someone or something else for his troubles get ahold of these items and problems occur.

Face it, people, the problem is NOT with the object, but with the improper USE of the object -- the problem is, and always has been, people, not things . . .

winwun,now that im a little older than i used to be.i have learned one thing.i should off listen to my elders more.i ve figured out that years makes most smarter!!!!! those older folks r no wheres near as dumb as i used to think they were. study lol!
your words always get my attention.u said it short and sweet and directly top the point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thumb wheelie
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:59 pm

I hate Lawyers and their suck it up law suits.
A rhino is as dangerous as you make it.
Point is just getting into or onto any off road ride is dangerous.
There have been more accidents in the parking lot than on the trails by average.
go figure
Back to top Go down
http://www.absolutetreework.com
HayStack

PostSubject: Re: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:36 am

Winwun never got to meet you personally but you are now on my Hero List Smile Hope my mind is sharp as yours when i get your age?? Wisdom is a Great thing for sure Very Happy Now let's go and Ride as stated above and maybe we can find a few lawyers for our Rhino's to turn over on Shocked J/K Laughing Don't want anyone to get hurt even lawers Smile
Back to top Go down
Bald Eagle
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:26 am

Lawyers & apples have something in common. They both look good hanging in a tree.
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/BaldEagle7164?vhost=community
bigcat
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:20 am

I was going to stay out of this but can't. I have led several rides with Rhinos and brought up the rear with groups of Rhinos. IMO they are just as safe as any other side by side.
I don't believe in suing. But sadly these days I am in the minority. People don't take responsibility for their actions. Too easy to sue and blame someone else.
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:00 am

I agree with you Bigcat. Every ride is as safe as the rider allows.

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup,  2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MEDIA ALERT – YAMAHA RESPONSE TO CBS NEWS STORY   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1