Cumberland ATV Riders

ATV's & UTV's & Proud Supporters of our Troops!

HomeCalendarSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Bledsoe State Forest Riding--Anyone Been?
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:09 am by dkoogler

» Big Bottom Unit TWRA
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 pm by dkoogler

» Mobile Two-Way Radio
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:27 pm by ranger tim

» Any one ever ride Franklin State Park or Natural area TN
Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm by tosha20

» Tackett Creek?
Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm by bigcat

» Skyline WMA
Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 pm by pwm

» 2010 Polaris Ranger 800XP $8000.00 SOLD
Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 pm by ranger tim

» New Machine!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 pm by dkoogler

» New Place in NC Found!!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 pm by dkoogler

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Links
Mud-Throwers

Atv Trail Tunes

Four Wheelin Expeditions

QSC

June 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Hit Counter
hit counters

Share | 

GPS for under $200?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:17 pm

I am just starting to look around at GPS devices. Anyone have any recommendations for units under $200. Am I wasting my money going with this cheap of a GPS? I want something that can track my route, get me back to my car, and have the ability to save routes. It would be nice to have topography maps that show water. hills, etc.., but its not a must.
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:37 pm

I havent seen one, im in the middle of the great debate, ive ordered the garmin 60cx but im attracted to the new Earthmate 40.
Problem is apprently only delorme maps will work on it , which is great for the US but i go to europe everynow and again.
I really want good topo maps and satillite imagry as well.
And i want to be able to use other online maps .
Its hard to get into, Dan will chime in , he knows alot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.absolutetreework.com

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:42 pm

Garmin 60cx is around $250 so that is close to my budget. I just need to stay away from the $500 one's.
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:57 pm

mbogosia wrote:
Garmin 60cx is around $250 so that is close to my budget. I just need to stay away from the $500 one's.

If you don;t get the 60Csx you will not be able to save alot of things. It is over $300. The Csx units take a memory card.
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:17 pm

I paid 303 plus shipping and a ram mount and plug for the cig lighter.
On http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-gpsmap-60csx-with-2gb.html
Dan said it was good ,Where should i get the maps for it ?

Their 100x map looks pitaful compared to delormes maps,
Also will the 60cx display sat. immagry like the earth mate 40 will.
I really like that function while out riding, possibly just as a novelity.

Lastly i hear the earthmate will only use earthmate maps period .
I was thinking that would make it incompatable for downloading trails and data like Dan has compiled.
For our CO trip Charles Wells has several guide books and he has entered all the way points of every trail available for free on his web site .
I would deffinatly not want any GPS that was not compatable with the format that he used .

I do know he used alot of delorme mapping soft ware but im awaiting an e mail from him on the topic.
What do you think Rooster ?
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:22 pm

HOLY COW LOOK AT THIS , now is your chance only 239.00
http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-gpsmap-76cx.html

Im returning my 60 for sure as it hasent even been shipped possibly.
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:52 pm

Dirt Dobber wrote:

Here is the link for the 76Csx. Apparently it is a bargain.

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-gpsmap-76csx.html

Your link does not say it is a 76 CSx. It says in the title it is a 76Cx. I might be incorrect but it is my understanding that only the CSx units will take a memory card. Maybe Dan will chime in. I think either the 60CSx or 76CSX will do everything you need it to do.

As far as Delorme.....Most of their stuff is proprietary. I have there Topo Map and Street Atlas. You can convert waypoints from Delorme into a GPX format which the Garmin Software will import.

Most of us (all of us) use the Garmin Products. I believe that you will find it easier to get help around here if you are using the Garmin Products.
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:04 pm

I totally agree with that Rooster, but man this baby is suweet.

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/gps/delorme-earthmate-pn-40-gps-review/

http://www.delorme.com/

In that site check some of the imagry.
Look here >>>

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10460&minisite=10020

Im not one try anything new and im sure it has problems, ive heard the battery runs out way fast.
I really like the old delorme topos.
They say the 40 is unreal but the earlier versions had problems.
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:39 pm

Rooster wrote:
Dirt Dobber wrote:

Here is the link for the 76Csx. Apparently it is a bargain.

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-gpsmap-76csx.html

Your link does not say it is a 76 CSx. It says in the title it is a 76Cx. I might be incorrect but it is my understanding that only the CSx units will take a memory card. Maybe Dan will chime in. I think either the 60CSx or 76CSX will do everything you need it to do.

As far as Delorme.....Most of their stuff is proprietary. I have there Topo Map and Street Atlas. You can convert waypoints from Delorme into a GPX format which the Garmin Software will import.

Most of us (all of us) use the Garmin Products. I believe that you will find it easier to get help around here if you are using the Garmin Products.
That is a deal.

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup,  2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:39 pm

230 is a great price for the garmin 74csx

As far as earthmate

I Kinda wish i would have never seen it
Read this about the trail sofware do any of you guys use topo usa ?

Trail routes
One of the best aspects of the Topo USA software is the extensive trail network. As a bonus, those trails are routable! Place a starting point at a trailhead, pick your ending point, add via points, and the device will create a route that follows an existing trail network. This will provide you with more realistic distance estimates, the ability to view a profile of the route to see just how steep it is, and you can share your trip plan over the internet with anyone that has web access.

Of course you can download those routes to your GPS and be able to monitor your progress along the trip with much greater precision than just bunch of long joined straight likes like you might do with other GPS devices.
at
http://www.gpsreview.net/delorme-pn-40/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:45 pm

Should I pull the trigger on that 76csx? Wouldn't the Garmin etrex do the job I need it to. Seems reasonably priced. Not sure if you can save your routes though.
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:14 pm

Seems like you should , let those who know comment .
Im obsssed , spent like 12 hours researching.

And i can tell you in all seriousness that unit has been sold many a time for near 400 bucks.
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:55 pm

mbogosia wrote:
Should I pull the trigger on that 76csx? Wouldn't the Garmin etrex do the job I need it to. Seems reasonably priced. Not sure if you can save your routes though.
Although the etrex is a great little unit that will probably do what you want, for the money, I would go with the 76 series hands down. There is just so much more you can do with it that you can not do with the Etrex.

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup,  2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:26 pm

I am also looking at one called the lowtrance h20. Looks like it has expandable memory and a built in compass which the etrex doesn't. And it is pretty cheap.
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:29 pm

pwm wrote:
mbogosia wrote:
Although the etrex is a great little unit that will probably do what you want, for the money, I would go with the 76 series hands down. There is just so much more you can do with it that you can not do with the Etrex.

I strongly agree with PWM......Don't skimp on a GPS. Get the Ram Mount for it too. You won't be sorry. Mount it to your handlebars. It will stay high and dry that way.
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:30 pm

mbogosia wrote:
I am also looking at one called the lowtrance h20. Looks like it has expandable memory and a built in compass which the etrex doesn't. And it is pretty cheap.

Not good for what we do. Good for Fisherman...
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:31 pm

Mbogosia,

If you insist on getting an Etrex than at least get the Vista HCx. It takes a memory card.
Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Any of the low end Garmin mapping units will do what you describe. BUT... if it doesn't have a "x" in the model number, stay away.

I can personally attest to the capabilities of the 60 CSx and the 76 CSx. I use a 76 CSx. It is slightly larger with a larger button layout. Both are spec'd to be waterproof to one meter deep for 30 minutes... which is nice in rainy weather, a must have for me since I trail ride rain or shine. I use an old toothbrush under the sink faucet to clean the trail mud and grime off.

Last edited by Dan on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:50 pm

[/quote]Not good for what we do. Good for Fisherman...[/quote]

Rooster, I did a search on another Atv forum and it seams several guys have had great luck with the lowrance ifinder H20. What makes it good for fishing and not Atv'ing? Guys are using it with good reviews. I believe you, I just don't understand the difference.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/lowrance-ifinder-h2o.aspx?a=202780

I also just noticed the Lowrance explorer comes with topo maps already on it. Takes an sd card, and has a car power adapter.
Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:05 pm

I've never seen a Lowrance unit... so can't comment... however, my map won't play on one.

The unit just gets you hooked. The next costs comes in the form of proprietary software, e.g., topo map, street map, maritime chart, etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:09 pm

I see. If I go with the 76 CS x is it loaded with most of the things I would need or want? I hate to spend that much, but I know I'll wish I had it down the road.
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:11 pm

I think the problem with the lowrance is that most people use them for water sports and they are not well known in this industry.

The problem I would have with the lowrance is the same as the megellan, they both are probably great units but if you want to share data (maps, tracks, routes, waypoints, and such), there are no users to share them with unlike the Garmin units.

I started with a Megellan Explorist 400. It was probably a better unit that my Garmin 60 but I found the problems that I mentioned above and bought my 60c. I wish like Dan said that I had the x series so that I could have more memory. I will sell you my 60c with handlebar mount for $125

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Ahh! I didn't know about the map sharing problem. So if I go with a Garmin I can get some of the routes that you guys have already put together. It would be great if I could get a Picket route and a Royal Blue.
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:18 pm

mbogosia wrote:
Ahh! I didn't know about the map sharing problem. So if I go with a Garmin I can get some of the routes that you guys have already put together. It would be great if I could get a Picket route and a Royal Blue.
Ifn you treat us right Very Happy

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:20 pm

Ha!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GPS for under $200?   

Back to top Go down

GPS for under $200?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cumberland ATV Riders :: General :: GPS Talk and Information-
Jump to:  
Forum create on Forumotion | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com