Cumberland ATV Riders

ATV's & UTV's & Proud Supporters of our Troops!

HomeCalendarSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Bledsoe State Forest Riding--Anyone Been?
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:09 am by dkoogler

» Big Bottom Unit TWRA
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 pm by dkoogler

» Mobile Two-Way Radio
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:27 pm by ranger tim

» Any one ever ride Franklin State Park or Natural area TN
Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm by tosha20

» Tackett Creek?
Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm by bigcat

» Skyline WMA
Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 pm by pwm

» 2010 Polaris Ranger 800XP $8000.00 SOLD
Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 pm by ranger tim

» New Machine!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 pm by dkoogler

» New Place in NC Found!!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 pm by dkoogler

Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Links
Mud-Throwers

Atv Trail Tunes

Four Wheelin Expeditions

QSC

September 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Hit Counter
hit counters

Share | 

? About trailer wheels

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mudder

PostSubject: ? About trailer wheels   Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:53 pm

ive got a trailer with mobile home wheels and tires. I heard they are illegal on the hiway. I pretty sure the tires are. But i dont think the wheels are. Does any body know for sure. My friend said u can get tires for the wheels that are hi way legal. Any info will be appreciated
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ? About trailer wheels   Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:54 pm

It should state on the tire somewhere if it is not for highway use I think.

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup,  2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
Tennessee

PostSubject: Re: ? About trailer wheels   Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:42 pm

If its the wheels that the star looking center that bolts to a ring that holds the tire they are illegal. Nothing to do with the tire. I have a friend that has them and has never been bothered.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vitoman.com
Smiley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ? About trailer wheels   Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:42 pm

Yeah it is the wheels / hubs that are the problem with that set up...you can get new hubs and wheels to be road legal, but do your home work carefully on replacing the hubs, you may be better off to get whole axles with hubs included. Less questions about having the right thing, and if your trailer doesn't have trailer brakes now, it would be the perfect time to upgrade to axles with brakes. I recommend Dexter brand axles and brakes.

I know several people that have those type of axles that have never had a problem, but you get a flat tire on the road and a trooper pulls up behind you to try to assist, you may end up with a ticket for the wheels, depending on his mood.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cumberlandatvriders.com
mudder

PostSubject: Re: ? About trailer wheels   Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:21 pm

yeah it was the wheels i was worried about. The tires that are on the wheels are also not hi way legal but, if i got to replace the wheels and hubs, ill have to replace the tires to.
Back to top Go down
Vamped450

PostSubject: Re: ? About trailer wheels   Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:27 am

I would replace the mobile home axles with a good set of torsion axles.You can then run standard trailer tires that you can get at any tire shop if you have a problem on the rode.
Back to top Go down
REPOMAN

PostSubject: Re: ? About trailer wheels   Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:39 am

Vamped450 wrote:
I would replace the mobile home axles with a good set of torsion axles.You can then run standard trailer tires that you can get at any tire shop if you have a problem on the rode.
Torsion axles are the way to go in my opinion Thumb
Back to top Go down
mudder

PostSubject: Re: ? About trailer wheels   Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:59 pm

what exactly is a torsion axle? The axles have springs and the front axle has brakes. I was told that the hubs off a 3/4 ton chevy will work. If it does this is probly what i will use. Does anybody know for sure if they will work?
Back to top Go down
Vamped450

PostSubject: Re: ? About trailer wheels   Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:28 pm

Torsion axles do not have springs. They have a piece of compressed rubber that lets the arm that the hub is on to pivot under a load. The axles mount to the frame. Alot better ride out of they instead of springs.
Back to top Go down
Smiley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ? About trailer wheels   Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:01 pm

mudder wrote:
what exactly is a torsion axle? The axles have springs and the front axle has brakes. I was told that the hubs off a 3/4 ton chevy will work. If it does this is probly what i will use. Does anybody know for sure if they will work?

Here is some info on Torsion Axles...they are made by many different brands.

Torsion Axles

I don't know anything about the 3/4 ton Chevy hubs working, it would depend on the spindle size and the mating bearings to fit in between the two. I wouldn't think the brake hubs from a truck would match up with a trailer axle set up.

I really like torsion axles too, but you have to consider the fender clearance when changing from a spring mounted axle to a torsion axle....the Torsion axles lower the height of the trailer and pushes the tires higher inside of the fender wells.

Being you are already wired for brakes I would suggest going ahead and replace both axles, weither it is standard axles or torsion axles is up to you, but get brakes on all 4 wheels, when loaded heavy you'll be glad to have electric brakes all around.

Also something to consider is the weight capacity of the axles. The smallest for a two axle trailer is 7000# (2 - 3500# axles). Depending on how heavy built the trailer is and the ball coupler size, you may want to go to a 10,000# (2 - 5000# axles), 12,000# (2 - 6,000# axles) or even higher. Anything 10,000# capacity and up requires a 2-5/16" ball coupler. So there is alot to consider when looking at changing alxes, brakes, etc.
Back to top Go down
Moose
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: ? About trailer wheels   Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:13 am

My Trailer is home made and it has a axle out of the Dodge Aries on it with 14" wheels.

Works very well.
Back to top Go down
mudder

PostSubject: Re: ? About trailer wheels   Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:09 pm

ive used several home built trailers, and they all pulled very good. ive got a 6x14 built by my dad and it pulls great. i can only get 3 4wheelers on it, thats why i got the one with the mobile home axles on it. its got dual axles and we are gonna extend it so we can put 5 4wheelers on it. its got brakes on one axle and is built solid. i just talked to the tag office and they said i could get a tag with the wheels that i have on it (mobile home wheels). tire store can get 12 ply tires for $67 a piece that are hi way legal. so that the route im going. it will save me alot of money. and the trailer pulls good just like it is. and if your wondering the tag office does inspect the trailer before they will issue a tag, so everything has to be legal. i appreciate all the info and comments. if i ever do change axles i will try the torsion axles
Back to top Go down
Tennessee

PostSubject: Re: ? About trailer wheels   Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:30 pm

Dont believe everything you hear should of been my moto on this. Since I saw your last post I did a bunch of searching and theres alot of talk about how it is illegal but none show where that info comes from. Just a myth it sounds like. Sorry I assumed and gave the wrong info!
Back to top Go down
mudder

PostSubject: Re: ? About trailer wheels   Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:07 pm

no problem man. I dont know why i didnt think to call them in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Smiley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ? About trailer wheels   Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:36 pm

I haven't been able to find anything specific on the use of mobile home axles either, but it was in my understanding that in TN the use of them on anything other than mobile homes was illegal....I may be wrong, heck I have been before. Of course the laws from state to state will vary, so all I can say is to be sure to cover all the bases and cover yourself because no one else will.

Sorry for jumping to any conclusion, if I find anything one way or the other I'll try to post it.
Back to top Go down
Tennessee

PostSubject: Re: ? About trailer wheels   Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:12 pm

I did find out we in TN need plates if we are going to pull a utility trailer out of state. $80 to register plus a $10.50 fee! Never have wont untill I get told to either! This is copied fron the link at the bottom.

Utility Trailers
Tennessee doesn't require you to title or register your utility trailer unless you plan to take it to another state.

If that's the case, you'll need to take the original title (if you have one), your driver's license, and the $10.50 fee to your local County Clerk's office.

The fee to register your utility trailer is $80. That may seem a bit steep, but the license plate you receive is permanent.

As with titling an ATV, you may have to pay additional clerk's fees. Call ahead.

Before you head out on the road, check out The Unofficial DMV Guide's article on How To Pull A Trailer.

Got that from here
http://www.dmv.org/tn-tennessee/other-types-of-vehicles.php#Utility_Trailers
Back to top Go down
MailMan

PostSubject: Re: ? About trailer wheels   Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:07 pm

What is the total width with the MH axles? That might be where they become illegal if over 102" wide. Question
Back to top Go down
mudder

PostSubject: Re: ? About trailer wheels   Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:51 pm

not sure of the total length of the axles, but spring to spring is 6'4". ive got a little work to do to get it like i want. its gonna be around 21 feet long. that way i can haul our 5 4wheelers.
Back to top Go down
Smiley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ? About trailer wheels   Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:24 pm

I found this on Dexter Axle's FAQ page....the way I read it, MH axles are not built to the same quality as true trailer axles.

Dexter Axle FAQ Website wrote:
AXLES - Can mobile home axles be reused?
The Dexter MH (mobile home) type axle is designed for limited usage in the delivery of manufactured homes and has a one-time limit use. The axle has steel forged spindles that are not precision ground. The brake assembly is welded onto the beam and not intended to be field replaced. Additionally, the bearing package is smaller than the more expensive service type axle. Most MH axles are also equipped with a single leaf spring suspension for very heavy loads. We do not have components that would convert MH axles to serviceable assemblies.

Dexter Axle FAQ page
Back to top Go down
mudder

PostSubject: Re: ? About trailer wheels   Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:55 pm

well if it will haul someones house around surely it will haul a few 4 wheelers around. lol seriously though i think it will be fine. ive talked to a few people that build trailers, utility and car haulers, and they said that when they have used them that they havent had any problems with them.
Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: ? About trailer wheels   Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:41 pm

I used a home brew trailer for several years on 2 HT axles solid mounted. The trailer would haul more than my tow vehicles would handle. I sold it to a friend 10 years ago and he's still using it to haul his tractor. AFAIK, he's not had any problems with it.

BTW, most are rated at 12K... each.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ? About trailer wheels   

Back to top Go down

? About trailer wheels
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1