Cumberland ATV Riders

ATV's & UTV's & Proud Supporters of our Troops!

HomeCalendarSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Bledsoe State Forest Riding--Anyone Been?
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:09 am by dkoogler

» Big Bottom Unit TWRA
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 pm by dkoogler

» Mobile Two-Way Radio
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:27 pm by ranger tim

» Any one ever ride Franklin State Park or Natural area TN
Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm by tosha20

» Tackett Creek?
Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm by bigcat

» Skyline WMA
Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 pm by pwm

» 2010 Polaris Ranger 800XP $8000.00 SOLD
Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 pm by ranger tim

» New Machine!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 pm by dkoogler

» New Place in NC Found!!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 pm by dkoogler

Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Links
Mud-Throwers

Atv Trail Tunes

Four Wheelin Expeditions

QSC

October 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Hit Counter
hit counters

Share | 

TN OHV Update - Action Alert

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:50 pm

TWRA has officially released the OHV Program! In the agreement, the North Cumberland OHV project will continue to be funded with RTP motorized funds. Legislation is currently in committee to finally move the OHV Program to TDEC after three long years of negotiations. Now if the legislators would just move it thru committee and onto the floor for a vote…we can all move on!

TOHVA has new leadership. Steve Melton, Damn Locals 4x4 Club, has stepped up to the plate as the new TOHVA President. Steve is a 25+ year OHV user, local organization past president and a veteran of several tours of duty for our country, so I think he is ready (and armed Smile for the task ahead. I will send on the entire list of Executive officers in the next email. Many thanks to David Bebout, outgoing President, for his start-up leadership role. David will remain a warrior for the cause and will share his OHV passion as a new national board member for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes organization. Congrats David!

Action Alerts:

****TOHVA will be looking for OHM, ATV, 4x4 and OHV Industry Leadership in each grand division of our state. Send me an email of intent if you are interested. Pass the word on.

****If you haven’t done so already, join OHV4TN on Facebook. Pass the word on.

****Send me a list of OHV Forums that you belong to. Pass the word on.

****Are you running for office yet? Pass the word on.

Last Word:

Congrats to West Tennessean Dr. Bruce Lewis on his appointment to TDEC’s Greenways and Trails Council. Dr. Lewis has been featured in many OHV magazines as both a user and event organizer. He will be a huge advocate for our sport/hobby on the Council.

Until next time…stay safe and tread lightly!

Iva Michelle Russell

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup,  2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
CE

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:53 pm

Thanks for posting Phil.
Back to top Go down
wydglide

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:59 pm

PWN,

Not to sound stupid about this, but being new to the politics of the OHV world.....what (in layman's terms) .....does this mean for us?
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:05 pm

TWRA never wanted the OHV task to start with. They were asked to setup a pilot/test program which is at Royal Blue. They have been closing trails up there on the West Side. It is apparent that TWRA never wanted to be in the Trail Business to start with.

I would hope that TDEC would do a better job. It can't be any worse then TWRA did which is not much. Currently there are only a few Public OHV areas in the state and they are on State Forestry Land. The Division of Forestry is a department under the Department of Agriculture and they do promote OHV use in some of their state lands (Prentice Cooper / Pickett State Forest) are two that I know of.

TDEC is concerned with the water quality. Basically they want you to stay out of the creeks. Crossing at a 90 degree angle is okay but, riding down/up stream is a no no in their eyes. If TDEC says clean up your act or we will shut you down you can believe it. They have the power to make that happen even at Royal Blue, Windrock, Brimstone
Back to top Go down
wydglide

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:34 pm

Dang..now that is a eye opener!
Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:59 pm

JYHO... TWRA doesn't really have the expertise to manage trails properly. For instance, on the East side, now Sundquist, TWRA has done more damage to the area rerouting trails in the three years of the pilot program than the OHVers did in all the years prior to the program.
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:26 am

wydglide wrote:
Dang..now that is a eye opener!

Here is something that will open your eyes.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=62173545752&topic=8563

I have listened to alot of people over the years bash TDEC. After doing some research I am starting to change my opinion.

TWRA was given a chance to start a program that could have been a wonderful thing. They have the Land available with all the WMA's that they could have done something good. In my opinion they have dropped the ball when they decided to stop moving forward after creating the Royal Blue Pilot project.

The Tennessee Division of Forestry eems to be able to manage what little OHV program they have. Looking at Prentice Cooper, hunters and OHV people can co-exist. Why can't other State Organizations pull it off.

Now give another organization a chance and see what happens. Can be no worse that I can see at this point. According to the aggreement, TWRA would still have their Royal Blue pilot program.

Even TWRA has to march to the drums of TDEC. It is evident up at Royal Blue East Side, several trails that you use to cross over and ride in the creeks now have hugh culverts that make it so you stay out of the water.
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:37 am

I am like all of you hoping this is a good thing but like most of you, I have to wonder.

Iva has been a great voice for us so far and I hope all of you will give her your support.

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup,  2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
g-man
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:45 am

I deal with TDEC daily regarding storm water issues. I don't always agree with their rules but they are willing to guide and work with the engineer to arrive at a solution that is mutually beneficial.
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:26 pm

That is stunning 300,000.
45 miles of trails that were alreayd there .
BS
Back to top Go down
http://www.absolutetreework.com
wydglide

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:54 pm

Dirt Dobber wrote:
That is stunning 300,000.
45 miles of trails that were alreayd there .
BS

I was kinda thinking the same thing!
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:53 pm

The numbers are wrong. I would guess that on the East Side (Sunquist) that probably several hundred miles exist. Not counting the West Side which probably has several hundred itself. 300-400 miles easy.....
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:14 pm

Heck yeah , i would think so , unless they are closing down the entire place .Llotta that going around , no doubt.
OHV is extremly sustainable , yhea the buzz word , but its the truth.
Back to top Go down
wydglide

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:43 pm

if they close it , it reverts back to Lee Asbury's family, (private land for OHV)

he was a member of my Masonic lodge & a dear friend!
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:40 am

Wydglide, You are correct in reverting back (Possible)...From what I have learned the Land for the North Cumberland WMA was donated with the stipulation that OHV riding continue.

They are not closing it down. What I was saying was there are indications that TWRA is closing trails over on the New River Unit which is on the West Side.

Now why are they closing trails? Could be alot of different reasons. TWRA could be making Foot Traffic Only Trails, TDEC may have come in and said control the erosion in a certain area. These are possibilites as to why the trails are being shut down or restricted.

TWRA has gone on the record that they did not want to expand their OHV program. They did the Pilot/Test project and that is about as far as they wanted to go. Sure they like the money that is available for OHV activity from the government agency and this is probably why if is taking so long for legislature to get passed. As was stated above by G-MAN, TDEC probably would not be unreasonable to work with. Everyone can compromise.

There have been many attempts to organize the OHV Community and let our voices be heard. I believe the attempts have failed because we didn't have the knowledge or information to become effective.

Up in Scott County, Tn (home to Brimstone), there was an attempt in August 08' to try and get the State Leaders to let them turn the whole County into an ATV friendly place. They even invited out the entire OHV community on a ride so that they could video tape it to show in Nashville. I went to the filming of this event.

I know alot of you don't care about any of this and that is fine. We all have our reason's for riding our ATV's. I for one would love to see the opportunities expand for OHV Vehicles and have more places to ride. The examples of this happening are all around us in Kentucky and West Virginia. But it is not going to get done by sitting behind your keyboard and whinning.
Back to top Go down
wydglide

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:36 am

I agree with you 1000%
(But it is not going to get done by sitting behind your keyboard and whinning)

I have been active in Motorcycle organizations most of my adult life, But LOATH politics & I am a terrible Public speaker Very Happy but at times if you don't stand up and basically say Hold it a Minute We are the People of State and we want this & the best way to do that is Voting the right people in office and a Really good Lawyer (Mouth piece) and lobbyist.

its just my 2ct's worth but if their worried about Erosion, they need to shut down this guy from Caryville here who has ruined the Mountains & other like him, I have some what education as I was raised in the Coal business on Caryville Mtn and beach grove, new river areas & Construction....its just stuff you pick up on!

I took this pic this past spring, on our way over to the Eternal Flame.
Back to top Go down
Vamped450

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:17 pm

Good points Rooster and Wydglide....As active OHV enthuisists...we have to portray our sport to the best of our ability. Everybody has to remember that when you are riding, you are not only representing the group that you are with, but the whole sport in the eyes of people that do not participate in it. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:47 pm

Rooster wrote:
Wydglide, You are correct in reverting back (Possible)...From what I have learned the Land for the North Cumberland WMA was donated with the stipulation that OHV riding continue.

They are not closing it down. What I was saying was there are indications that TWRA is closing trails over on the New River Unit which is on the West Side.

Now why are they closing trails?
The Asbury property would revert to the family should the OHV activities be stopped. The remainder was purchased during the reign of Don Sundquist.

The closed trails along the southern border of (what is now) Royal Blue Unit also encroach on the Emory River acquisition which is now controlled by the Nature Conservatory. This property was also purchased by Sundquist. Blame the Nature Conservatory for these closures.

The trails to the southwest of the washer plant site on the New River Unit severely encroaches on private property... which has posted/NT/NoATV signs along the gravel roads... but not along the property boundary adjacent the New River Unit. Prior to the North Cumberland acquisition and the New River Unit birth, Brimstone had closed Trail 40, but hadn't barricaded it. I suspect the private property owner has complained because several folks have ridden that area multiple times these past several months.

wydglide wrote:
its just my 2ct's worth but if their worried about Erosion, they need to shut down this guy from Caryville here who has ruined the Mountains & other like him, I have some what education as I was raised in the Coal business on Caryville Mtn and beach grove, new river areas & Construction....its just stuff you pick up on!

I took this pic this past spring, on our way over to the Eternal Flame.
Loggers come under their own set of laws. JMHO, but everyone should be under the same law... but logging operations get a break in the regs. Who knows, a good lawyer with a civil rights issue just might be able to get this changed.
Back to top Go down
Huntsman

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:08 pm

pwm wrote:
TWRA has officially released the OHV Program! In the agreement, the North Cumberland OHV project will continue to be funded with RTP motorized funds. Legislation is currently in committee to finally move the OHV Program to TDEC after three long years of negotiations. Now if the legislators would just move it thru committee and onto the floor for a vote…we can all move on!

TOHVA has new leadership. Steve Melton, Damn Locals 4x4 Club, has stepped up to the plate as the new TOHVA President. Steve is a 25+ year OHV user, local organization past president and a veteran of several tours of duty for our country, so I think he is ready (and armed Smile for the task ahead. I will send on the entire list of Executive officers in the next email. Many thanks to David Bebout, outgoing President, for his start-up leadership role. David will remain a warrior for the cause and will share his OHV passion as a new national board member for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes organization. Congrats David!

Action Alerts:

****TOHVA will be looking for OHM, ATV, 4x4 and OHV Industry Leadership in each grand division of our state. Send me an email of intent if you are interested. Pass the word on.

****If you haven’t done so already, join OHV4TN on Facebook. Pass the word on.

****Send me a list of OHV Forums that you belong to. Pass the word on.

****Are you running for office yet? Pass the word on.

Last Word:

Congrats to West Tennessean Dr. Bruce Lewis on his appointment to TDEC’s Greenways and Trails Council. Dr. Lewis has been featured in many OHV magazines as both a user and event organizer. He will be a huge advocate for our sport/hobby on the Council.

Until next time…stay safe and tread lightly!

Iva Michelle Russell
This is not true its just a ploy to make everyone think this has happened so TDEC won't have any oppostion with up coming Bills ! its totally a shenanigan.
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:25 pm

They logged in Pnentice cooper last year , that really helping the game huh.
Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:43 pm

Show us the facts, Huntsman!!!! Please don't demonize Iva Russell when you cannot support your allegations with irrefutable fact.

The upcoming bills are good for the OHV crowd, as anyone that can read them will understand. The bills remove the TWRA's prohibition of OHV operation on all state owned WMAs.
Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:48 pm

Dirt Dobber wrote:
They logged in Pnentice cooper last year , that really helping the game huh.
Actually, logging does help the game population by providing more food and protection.
Back to top Go down
powerbomb400

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:15 pm

You go Dan. cheers Logging also helps make new trails. Alot of the trails we ride were because of logging.
Back to top Go down
Huntsman

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:52 pm

Chief of Planning and Federal aid, Barry Sumners, Tenn. Gov.
Back to top Go down
wydglide

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:52 pm

now my comment was not intended to trash the logging per say it was more of a observation, just by looking at the photo I posted their is a LOT more trails because of Logging!

BUT if this same logging fills the creeks with sediment in a area where High OHV Area is ......guess who is going to get the hammer slammed down on their toes!

I Guess my point was more along the lines of.....I have never seen any silt fence or any type of restrictions to stop erosion since I been riding, as you would in a Construction/Coal mining area, BUT I have seen the Creeks flooded with Mud from the logging.

Matter a fact Lisa had to calm me down one day this past summer where we came off the Flatts down to Pee-Wee where they were actively Logging...Man I was Pi$$ed, the creeks where horrible! rant

But if the OHV people don't stand up for their self's, In some form AND stick together their will be no OHV riding!

For what its worth....my 2cts
Glide
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TN OHV Update - Action Alert   

Back to top Go down

TN OHV Update - Action Alert
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next