Cumberland ATV Riders

ATV's & UTV's & Proud Supporters of our Troops!

HomeCalendarSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Mobile Two-Way Radio
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:27 pm by ranger tim

» Big Bottom Unit TWRA
Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:31 pm by tosha20

» Any one ever ride Franklin State Park or Natural area TN
Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm by tosha20

» Tackett Creek?
Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm by bigcat

» Skyline WMA
Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 pm by pwm

» 2010 Polaris Ranger 800XP $8000.00 SOLD
Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 pm by ranger tim

» New Machine!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 pm by dkoogler

» New Place in NC Found!!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 pm by dkoogler

» Hatfield McCoy Closing Some Trails
Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:51 pm by georgiagirl

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Links
Mud-Throwers

Atv Trail Tunes

Four Wheelin Expeditions

QSC

June 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Hit Counter
hit counters

Share | 

HElp PLEASE

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
wolf1

PostSubject: HElp PLEASE   Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:11 pm

I took my 2006 trx450er to Hoges powersports to replace the intake valves, and inspect the cylinder, piston and rings in case they needed to be replaced.

long story short, the battery was disconnected when i picked it up and i was told the battery was dead. meaning i couldn't start it before it left his shop.
( i checked it later and saw it was disconnected and hooked it back up and it was fine.. i use locktite 222 on my battery bolts and nuts to keep them from working loose on their own so it had to be purposely disconnected.)

the radiator hose was loose and leaking antifreeze when i got it home.
and the oil was very low meaning he didn't replace the oil he lost from the repair. ( i had given it an oil change about three weeks before it was taken to his shop and i checked it before i took it to him, the oil was full)
i tightened the radiator hose and went ahead and REchanged the oil before it was started up.

now it has a clanking noise while idling.

the day i picked it up i ended up going to the emergency room and was admitted to the hospital so i didn't get to even start the atv after picking it up for a little over a month.

even with showing him proof that i went to the hospital the day i picked it up and that i was bedridden for over a month
he wants to charge me $65.00 an hour for labor to take it apart and see what he did wrong.

anyone have any idea what it could be?
i spent 8.5 days in the hospital and homebound for weeks with pneumonia and with blood clots in my leg and lung due to pneumonia, i have tons of medical bills and can't afford to take it to another shop. iam still not able to work because iam on blood thinners trying to work out the blood clots.

any help figuring out what the problem could be, would be greatly appreciated.

any ideas? thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://www.quadclass.com
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:52 pm

Wolf1 I hope that it is not a rod or a bearing that has been toasted. What kind of bike is it? We have some pretty good mechanics on here that may be able to help. We have a few in your area as well.

You may want to ask the same question over on Soggy Bottom Boyz as well.

I hope your health gets well soon as well as your ride so you can come up and ride with us.

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup,  2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:41 pm

wolf1... I would recommend you take it to a competent mechanic... at this place, all you will probably get is more of the same.
Back to top Go down
wolf1

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:00 pm

i took it to a different shop, they got the valve cover off of it today and the timing chain was so loose you could basically take it off by hand.

Rusty Hoge broke the automatic cam chain tensioner and then disconnected the battery so i couldn't start it til i got it home.

and now since it wasn't started at his shop before i left with it he is trying to say i abused the atv and broke the tensioner myself.

but that just isn't possible when you are in the hospital and unable to physically ride an atv.

they tried to retighten the tensioner but it keeps going loose once you turn the engine over.

they are tearing the engine down further to see if the tensioner arm is broken too or if anything else is broken.

but i wont be able to afford to repair it for a while. still have blood clots in my left leg and right lung and the doctors haven't released me to go back to work.
so i'll have to bring it home when they are done and make a parts list and start trying to save the money to buy them.

gah, only takes the wrong person working on your atv a few seconds to do some costly damage.

and he was highly recommended by the local HOnda dealer too.

the other shop did say it looked like hoges powersports broke the automatic timing belt adjuster.
not sure what they saw that led them to believe that, but in all honesty i believe it.
it wasn't clanking or rattling like this before i took it to Hoges' powersports, and with the battery disconnected and the radiator hose left to leak i can believe almost anything about Hoges' powersports at this point.

it was a valve job that i was eager to see happen and worked hard and saved the money up to pay for it. now i have more repairs due to a shop doing horrible work and then not standing behind their work...

used to be that people were honest enough to stand behind their work, and if they broke something while working on your atv or dirtbike they were man enough to admit it and do what was necessary to make it right. what's this world coming to these days???

Last edited by wolf1 on Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wolf1

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:11 pm

thanks Pwm, but it looks like it'll be next summer before i can afford to buy the parts to fix mine. Sad
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:22 am

Check with these guys http://www.s3atvsalvage.com/ they may have something that you can use.

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup,  2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
wolf1

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:30 am

thanks i'll check em out
Back to top Go down
Gatech

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:18 pm

Wow, where is this Hoges powersports at? I don't want to go near there. Hope everything works out for you especially your health.
Back to top Go down
wydglide

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:51 pm

Wolf,
We will be saying a prayer for ya bud, as you said its HARD to find anybody that takes pride in their work anymore, and with really NO way to prove your side theirs not much can do other than Warn others!

being a person who is not in the best of health, I want to wish you a speedy recovery and hope you can get your Engine back together soon....as the freedom of riding is one of the best Cure All's their is!

My Gf Lisa got a clean Bill of Health 3 days ago from a Total Hip replacement and the last 2 days we have put on about 40 miles a day on some fairly Rough Trails and it has made both of us feel a LOT better!

Respects
Glide & Family
Back to top Go down
wolf1

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:59 pm

hey congrats on your GF's recovery!!!!

glad you guys can get out and ride!!! now go and ride some for me.

i went today and went over mine again. iam glad to say that mine is clanking alot less since tightening the automatic timing c`hain adjuster.
but it still does it intermittently.

looks like i'll replacing the timing chain and the chain adjuster.

now to save the money to purchase the parts....

thank you for the good wishes!!!

still taking my meds and doing the best i can

i'll be on blood thinners for 6-12 months and they are sadly talking about keeping me on them for the rest of my life.
apparently they are worried about the bacterial pneumonia causing a gene mutation of some sort, which could possibly cause me to clot abnormally.. (at least that's how i understood it). but you are right, getting out and riding is therapy in itself.

i can't wait til i can get mine back running right and get out there and put in a good days' ride.

i bought the trx450er this winter and still haven't had a decent ride on it.

i got it and had the intake valves replaced in feb, the same day i took it home after the valve install i went to the emergency room.

in the beginning it only made the clanking noise until it warmed up, i called the shop that installed the valves and the shop owner told me that the engine was a high compression engine and would make alot of engine noise... once warmed up it would stop clanking so i figured maybe that was true.
but then i took it for a ride on my property for about an hour and the clanking came back and i parked it.
I then took it back to the shop that installed the new valves and all the shop owner could do was become irate and scream that it wasn't his fault.

i thought it was odd that the battery was disconnected and the shop owner was telling me the battery was bad when i picked it up.. but i have seen stranger things happen, but i found later that the battery had been disconnected. and as well that when i got it home the radiator hose was loose and leaking antifreeze.
(it leaked antifreeze all over the carpet in my van without being started so i can only imagine how it leaked when the shop owner started it up at his shop after he installed the valves... it leaves me wondering.. how could he have possibly missed it?)

what bothers me most is that he could have easily called me and told me that the timing chain and adjuster were bad due to age and i would have believed him and paid him to replace them...

but he never called and the clanking was very obvious and definately not normal. and it did it from the first time i cranked the engine when i got it home from his shop and the hospital and was able to start it.

so i feel safe in assuming that it couldn't have been overlooked at his shop.

most shops will call you during a repair if they find other problems, so with the battery being disconnected and him telling me that he had to boost it off after the repair and that my battery was bad, it just seems like he heard the noise and realized that he had forgotten to tighten the timing chain adjuster, but the damage was already done so he disconnected the battery so i couldn't start it at his shop before i left and hear the noise.

(one glance when i was able to check it and it was easy to see the positive lead of the battery cable was disconnected from the battery so if he boosted it as he said he did would mean he would have to look at the battery to connect the jumper cables and certainly would have been able to see it.)

the shop owner tries to say i took it home and abused it and broke the chain adjuster and damaged the timing chain, but seriously, i spent 8.5 days in the hospital and weeks bedridden.
(anyone who has had blood clots in a leg and a lung will tell you that you are not physically able to abusively ride an atv..geeze most of the time i couldn't have sat on an atv let alone ride it.)

the hour i did ride it was basically putting around on my property. not fast and the temperature outside was around 74 degree's. if i had ridden it hard enough to abuse it i would have risked causing the blood clots to move to more undesireable places.

i understand that i can't prove it and i just know the shop owner is loving that fact... but i certainly in my mind and heart know that the shop owner caused the damage.

and you are right!!! iam doing all i can to warn others to not go to this guy.
i wouldn't want anyone to go through what iam going through now, needing to repair the shop owners mistakes and struggling to come up with the money to repair it due to medical bills...
but i'll get it back together eventually and then hopefully i'll be able to put in a good days'
riding on it!!!
Wheeler
Back to top Go down
wolf1

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:11 am

Gatech wrote:
Wow, where is this Hoges powersports at? I don't want to go near there. Hope everything works out for you especially your health.

he is in Ooltewah Tennessee, and in my opinion should be forced out of business and threatened with jail if he ever works on another atv.

he caused alot of costly damage to my 450er and if i could do it and not go to jail i would castrate him!!!!

i love to ride and it looks like i'll have to wait til next summer to ride while i save up the cash to buy new parts.

Last edited by wolf1 on Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wolf1

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:17 am

Dan wrote:
wolf1... I would recommend you take it to a competent mechanic... at this place, all you will probably get is more of the same.

i can guarantee my atv will never go back to his shop, and i will tell everyone i can not to take even a tinkertoy to his shop.
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:22 am

The best way to promote his shop is word of mouth. We can help you get the word out if you know what I mean.

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
wolf1

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:20 am

absolutely friend!! much appreciated
Back to top Go down
wolf1

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:15 pm

well scraped up enough money to order a new timing chain today...crossing fingers and hoping nothing else is broken!!!!

luckily with the trx450er you dont have to split the case or remove the cylinder to change the timing chain.

now to save the money for a new timing chain adjuster.
Back to top Go down
wolf1

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Sat May 08, 2010 11:23 pm

update:

got the new timing chain on now it runs like a bat out of ...well you know...

not rattling, no issues (knock on wood) so far.
runs strong and like it should.

looking at the chain there are four links that were stretched out due to Hogues powersports leaving the timing chain adjuster loose.
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Sun May 09, 2010 12:04 pm

Well im glad your bike is running , but also thank the lord none of those clots broke free and traveled up into your lungs or brain.
Stay on the thinners and take care of your self .
Ill never set foot in that shop.
Back to top Go down
http://www.absolutetreework.com
wolf1

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Sun May 09, 2010 2:28 pm

thanks, still on the blood thinners,

but going to ride some!!!!

still have the blood clots, but the blood thinners are working to dissolve them,
i was on lovenox for a while to dissolve them, now iam on coumadin.. bad thing is if i go off the thinners it's all over... sure wish the clots would friggin' go away!!!

but at least i can ride a little
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Sun May 09, 2010 4:25 pm

Be safe those clots aint nothing to mess with.

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
wolf1

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Sun May 09, 2010 9:58 pm

yeah i know, but it's so hard to sit still.....
especially when you have a good atv to ride!!

i'll take it easy though, iam on 5 mg of coumadin to keep the clots small and not form anymore.

the dr said i could ride some as long as there was no 25 foot jumps.

so iam stuck with little 5 footers, but at least i get to ride a little.

I have kids who love to ride, so no real choice i have to ride some to at least keep up with them. i just dont want them to suffer doing without getting to ride this summer.

so far the clots are taking their sweet time going away.

i am learning that clots can take a good while to go away.

i had another ct scan of my leg last week and they are all still there... i was hoping it would be a simple easy thing and the lovenox would dissolve them and the coumadin would finish getting rid of them... it's working but it is doing it at a snails pace.

i had clots from the top of my left leg to my ankle.
and then in my right lung after they had been reduced in size with the lovenox.

the ones in my lung are gone, but all the ones in my left leg are still there.
does this ever end??? geeze iam so ready for this to be over.

and then theres the pleurisy in my lungs that just wont friggin quit and they wont prescribe anything for.

i know iam lucky to be alive, but iam so ready to get on with the living part.
Back to top Go down
wolf1

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:25 pm

update!!
i still have clots in left leg and a clot in my spine.
but the 450er is running like a top. (cant ride much with the clot in my spine.... bonk )

back to work at a part time job, so things are looking a little up if you take the spine thing out of it.....

but doing well so far.

i didnt have the gene mutation thing, so hopefully in march the rest of the clots will be gone and i can go off the blood thinners. Pope

iam sooo ready to ride and next spring go camping and riding again.

Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:31 pm

Cool keep us updated.

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
wolf1

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:39 pm

thanks, i picked up a honda froutrax 300fw 4x4 for 150.00 got it running the other day, nice riding 4 wheel drive.

old school, but plenty of power.
only rode it for a few minutes in the woods by the house,
had to have something to work on around here....
got my daughter a trx250ex sportrax to ride and parting out her honda fourtrax 250.
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:40 am

Maybe some time soon all those clots will go away
you've been doing the best anyone could so my hat off to you sir
did the doc ever say why you got umm to start with
Ima gonna be prayin for ya
hang in there and keep us posted
where bouts are you ?
Jerr
Back to top Go down
http://www.absolutetreework.com
wolf1

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:00 am

just from bacterial pneumonia. i was managing for a discount chain and figure i got it from one of my customers at the time.
they thought i had a gene mutation of some sort and tests came back negative for that.

didnt know i had pneumonia until a blood clot hit my right lung.
and it just kept snowballing from there.
i had actually picked up my 450er from having the kibbelwhite black diamonds installed, felt great was planning on getting it home and riding it.
Drove home and got out of the van to unload and it hit instantly. like someone flipped a switch and i suddenly couldnt breathe or walk and was in excruciating pain. the wife drove me to the hospital and well you know the rest...

clot in right lung, off to the hospital for a few days then home on bedrest for a cpouple days, then back to the hospital again with clots in my left leg and left lung spent a little longer in the hospital. then
home, back with what they thought for 3 months was pleurisy, in and out of the emergency room, and they finally found out it wasnt pleurisy but a clot in my spine.
(it took them 3 months to realize that pleurisy doesnt stick around for three months it's usually gone in a few days..... of course i didnt have a clue) They want me to go to pain mgmt. at 200.00 a visit plus test expense. so iam just toughing it out without pain meds.
bonk

but doing better now. certainly alot better than before.
Iam in Ringgold Georgia/chattanooga tennessee area.
just barely across the ga line, maybe we should get together and do a ride sometime.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HElp PLEASE   

Back to top Go down

HElp PLEASE
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cumberland ATV Riders :: General :: Parts & Accessories-
Jump to:  
Create a forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com