Cumberland ATV Riders

ATV's & UTV's & Proud Supporters of our Troops!

HomeCalendarSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Bledsoe State Forest Riding--Anyone Been?
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:09 am by dkoogler

» Big Bottom Unit TWRA
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 pm by dkoogler

» Mobile Two-Way Radio
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:27 pm by ranger tim

» Any one ever ride Franklin State Park or Natural area TN
Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm by tosha20

» Tackett Creek?
Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm by bigcat

» Skyline WMA
Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 pm by pwm

» 2010 Polaris Ranger 800XP $8000.00 SOLD
Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 pm by ranger tim

» New Machine!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 pm by dkoogler

» New Place in NC Found!!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 pm by dkoogler

Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Links
Mud-Throwers

Atv Trail Tunes

Four Wheelin Expeditions

QSC

October 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Hit Counter
hit counters

Share | 

Pickett versus Brimstone

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Pickett versus Brimstone   Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:44 pm

Weve been up here at Pickett riding alot and finding new stuff to - well stuff not on any maps weve seen .Anyhow this place is super hard to leave because its just so good .
WE keep saying we are gonna drive over to Brimstone and ride - ive only done 2 days in there and im proably up to about 10 total days pr more here at Pickett but i have never been disapointed - no where near .
We keep found some new to us stuff out past dry hollow . Harder riding as well .

So if i was to drive from Pickett state park to the closest brimstone entrance i could unload at i figure that would be about one hour right ???

What we had in mind was parking down near little bull bridge where that trail 27 goes down the new river - im pretty sure i rode that along time ago and it was good . But mostly the idea is we would be right in the middle of Brimstone and could ride the south end and the north side and use the roads to get back to our truck if needed .Also another big reason fer parking down there would be to go east on into the windrock territory past the eternal flame which i have never seen , i know its just a novelty but i want to see it . I also have the idea of riding - on a seperate day -from there as far east as we can.

Was wanting you guys to comment on trail quality in brimstone versus trail quality in Pickett .
We have been doing well in this heat , i just soak my shirt at every stream crossing and its been pretty good .Pickett -- this is an Edit --- has alot of good creek crossings and alot of cool dark caves to get in .

I remember getting pretty sun burned at Brimstone and i remember some long woodsy areas but i remember alot of clear cut stuff to and alot of wide sunny trails .We got in some of the woodsy area and rode real steep stuff - I proably missed most of the good stuff ....
We need long shady trails since its 90 F Pickett has alot of those -

Any advice fellows ???
Back to top Go down
http://www.absolutetreework.com
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:21 pm

Im kinda ditching the east to west trip - can anyone just reccomend good shady trails - some of yall know what level i ride - Kim is with me so we can ride almost red trails or shall i say easy red trails . We haveent had any trouble with the harder trails at Pickett but ive been getting alot of excersise riding both bike through the tough spots - i kinda like it .
Gets my heart pumping and since i ride in motercycle boots it gives me a good leg work out cause them alpinstars are heavy.
So any ideas - other than what im about to do - just go keep turning left LOL
Back to top Go down
Bootlegger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:25 pm

I like Pickett the best....Brimstone is my next favorite place though. There are a LOT of trails at pickett....some of the best riding you can't get on anymore. Some of it you can, I don't know the numbers since I don't have a GPS and I haven't been since they numbered them. There is one place I'm going to go to the next I'm out there with a small 3-4 person group and see if its still gated off. It only about 15 miles of trails but very fun ones with an overlook you can ride your atv out on.

Cumberland ATV Riders

Back to top Go down
http://bootleggerperformance.weebly.com/
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:37 pm

Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Rooster thats my old thread man -
Hey Boot i have found several areas that the trails are so covered over in vines and ivy you need a chainsaw to get through - then they will often open up and you only have to cut the trees out of the way . Its super awesome area -
Hey fellows a ranger told me that they are gonna open a real atv trail through BSF thats nothing to do with hunting . Can you imagine that ? Oh ,man then we could ride straight through -
He made it a point to let me know it would be a real atv trail open year round .

I need just the normal plain Brimstone reccomendation trails - its raining like crazy here at Pickett so we will rife Pickett tomorrow - so we will take advantage of that and ride Pickett tomorrow i love that placeafater a hard rain
But yall hook me up with the shady trail at Brimstone please i can barely remember what we rode there as its been 2 years or 2009 .
Im sure its changed a ton ....
Need advice .
Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:12 pm

These are mostly wooded, but you will have to contend with some some clear cutting...

98, 48, 83, 104, 2, 87, 89, 107, 108, 113 (best one there), 112, 93, 91, 90, 30, 1, 49,
52, 50, rest of 49, 5

P-anerman worked 2 Saturdays with a shovel getting 113 to cross the rock bridge.
Back to top Go down
Bootlegger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:50 am

darkstar wrote:
Rooster thats my old thread man -
Hey Boot i have found several areas that the trails are so covered over in vines and ivy you need a chainsaw to get through - then they will often open up and you only have to cut the trees out of the way . Its super awesome area -
Hey fellows a ranger told me that they are gonna open a real atv trail through BSF thats nothing to do with hunting . Can you imagine that ? Oh ,man then we could ride straight through -
He made it a point to let me know it would be a real atv trail open year round .

I need just the normal plain Brimstone reccomendation trails - its raining like crazy here at Pickett so we will rife Pickett tomorrow - so we will take advantage of that and ride Pickett tomorrow i love that placeafater a hard rain
But yall hook me up with the shady trail at Brimstone please i can barely remember what we rode there as its been 2 years or 2009 .
Im sure its changed a ton ....
Need advice .

Some of the areas at Pickett were not allowed to ride anymore. Actually all the local people from around Jamestown & Clarkrange call it Blackhouse. I had never heard but a few folks call it Pickett until I seen a few folks on the Windrock forum talking about it a few years back. Not saying I have rode every single trail, but I've been riding there for about 16 years. I'm sure I've missed a few trails and forgot where some are at...lol. The last 2-3 years not much as all due do racing. That loop we use to make when I would take folks to the store where we came out on the gravel/pavement and you ride towards the Bridge and then turn back...I can't remember it in my mind since its been about 3 years since I've ridden it... scratch but instead of heading back towards Dry Hollow Church...I thinks thats the name. Go up that highway at the Bridge and there use to be about 3-4 entrances on the right that took you to some great trail riding. They closed it off about 5-6 years ago. I haven't been back since they put gates up. It may be open again, not sure. That was some pretty stuff up that way. Sometime in the late Summer Early Fall I'm going to ride to some of the older places and see if they are still gated off or not. They guy that works for 102.5 here in Crossville...his last name is Sweeney. Can't remember his first name...maybe Steve. He knows that place better than anyone I have ridden with out there. I haven't rode with him in about 4 years...not sure if he even rides anymore or not.

Cumberland ATV Riders

Back to top Go down
CNC_guy

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:48 am

I'm pretty sure the area you are referring to is the area that Wayne Lumber and Cumberland Woodlands leased to the hunting outfitters. They gated off my favorite trail that allowed for a very nice loop with great scenery and good riding. In doing this, they also cut off a trail that lead to the Pisgah riding area and Coopersville coal mines.

There was local rumor that these trails were opening back up but I don't believe that's the case. I talked with a rep of Wayne Lumber and he stated they were making money off property that otherwise would just be sitting there and that ATVs and hunting outfits do not mix.
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:25 am

We have spend spending a good deal of time in and around the areas yall describe - there are two pig trails that go around the gates thats i know of - both go up pretty steep .
Now one of that gates yall are reffewring to im assiming is in the big field .
You can ride the river wash around that -
I might be thinking of different trails but reading this

"Go up that highway at the Bridge and then turn back...I can't remember it in my mind since its been about 3 years since I've ridden it... but instead of heading back towards Dry Hollow Church...I thinks thats the name. Go up that highway at the Bridge and there use to be about 3-4 entrances on the right that took you to some great trail riding"
from Bootlegger -

Thats sounds exactly what we were riding and it is open one of those trails is knarly and appears to never get ridden .Id like to meet up with yall and lets check it out .

Jerr
Back to top Go down
Bootlegger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:42 pm

CNC_guy wrote:
I'm pretty sure the area you are referring to is the area that Wayne Lumber and Cumberland Woodlands leased to the hunting outfitters. They gated off my favorite trail that allowed for a very nice loop with great scenery and good riding. In doing this, they also cut off a trail that lead to the Pisgah riding area and Coopersville coal mines.

There was local rumor that these trails were opening back up but I don't believe that's the case. I talked with a rep of Wayne Lumber and he stated they were making money off property that otherwise would just be sitting there and that ATVs and hunting outfits do not mix.

So you can't to the mines anymore at all? That stinks, that was some nice riding.

Cumberland ATV Riders

Back to top Go down
CNC_guy

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:45 pm

Well, you can come into the mines from a different direction. We come in from the north side of Wayne County. It has gotten smaller though...there are houses where some cool jumps/playground used to be. The wall (big hill climb) is still back there with some other jumps and hills. You just can't get there from the old trails that ran from Slickford/Edward's Mt. because of the lumber company.

darkstar, (and maybe bootlegger too...I may have been turned around when I was reading that post at first) I think you are talking about some land that is owned by the guy that used to own all that area that Wayne Lumber now owns. He has a cabin back there and his daughter said that he gated it off because of vandalism. She said he wasn't crazy about doing that but really had no choice. Coming out from dry hollow church, you turn right and go up the blacktop and go passed the old sandy valley school and onto a gravel road. You can turn right at the gravel or continue on and turn right a few miles down the creekbed. I haven't ridden there since I got back into riding in '06 because she had said he closed it off. We always used to go in that way instead of through Dry Hollow.
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:54 pm

Boot you can ride to the mines in four different ways - take trail 3 all the way to umm .
Take trail 51 which is awesome .
Take trail 53 which starts out as a road .
Or simply come up through the mines entrance - it has a massive gate with a big trail -very heavily used- going around it .
You wouda loved it last week the ponds were perfect for mudding .

There are alot of stuff out around dry hollow that may have been closed that is now open again and or there are altertnate trails leading to the same old places .

We rode 9 miles on pavement to get to Blackhouse mt road yesterday - went right past a Ranger - he just smiled .People are riding atv everywhere up here these days except in one place - in Big South Fork-You gotta be hunting for that .
The ranger said they were gonna open a year round recreational atv trail in BSF.
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:56 pm

Also CMC guy we rode right past the cabin and the only no trespassing sign we saw was on the actual cabin
Back to top Go down
CNC_guy

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:14 pm

I was talking about the Coopersville coal mines, not the sand mines....different part of Wayne County that used to be all connected to the current riding area.

I'm just going by what the daughter said as far as the cabin. This is a different cabin than the cabin on trail 1 (I think that's trail 1)....that one is owned by someone else.
Back to top Go down
Bootlegger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:22 pm

CNC_guy wrote:
Well, you can come into the mines from a different direction. We come in from the north side of Wayne County. It has gotten smaller though...there are houses where some cool jumps/playground used to be. The wall (big hill climb) is still back there with some other jumps and hills. You just can't get there from the old trails that ran from Slickford/Edward's Mt. because of the lumber company.

darkstar, (and maybe bootlegger too...I may have been turned around when I was reading that post at first) I think you are talking about some land that is owned by the guy that used to own all that area that Wayne Lumber now owns. He has a cabin back there and his daughter said that he gated it off because of vandalism. She said he wasn't crazy about doing that but really had no choice. Coming out from dry hollow church, you turn right and go up the blacktop and go passed the old sandy valley school and onto a gravel road. You can turn right at the gravel or continue on and turn right a few miles down the creekbed. I haven't ridden there since I got back into riding in '06 because she had said he closed it off. We always used to go in that way instead of through Dry Hollow.

Quote :
You can turn right at the gravel or continue on and turn right a few miles down the creekbed. I haven't ridden there since I got back into riding in '06 because she had said he closed it off. We always used to go in that way instead of through Dry Hollow.

Yep...thats some of them that I'm talking about as well. I haven't been up that way since I had my Grizzly 600...lol. That was some fun riding. If something is gated off I won't ride it usually unless I know we can for sure. Now I have been past the Cabin a lot in the last 4 years or so. Once place was where you turn off the blacktop and cross the creek and go up that way. I can't remember what its called. You know how it is, there is 5 names for everything out there...lol. The only place I think I haven't been too but once was with a guy who lives in Jamestown, He took some of us to a few places about 7-8 years ago that I can't remember how to get back to save my life. I don't even know what you call it. I remember riding the creek bed for a distance and then turning up hill to a trail that was on the left. I know thats not much info but you may know what I mean?

Cumberland ATV Riders

Back to top Go down
Bootlegger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:24 pm

CNC_guy wrote:
I was talking about the Coopersville coal mines, not the sand mines....different part of Wayne County that used to be all connected to the current riding area.

I'm just going by what the daughter said as far as the cabin. This is a different cabin than the cabin on trail 1 (I think that's trail 1)....that one is owned by someone else.

Yeah, I was talking about the Coal mines as well. I think I know where that other cabin is your talking about though.

Cumberland ATV Riders

Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:45 pm

darkstar wrote:
Boot you can ride to the mines in four different ways - take trail 3 all the way to umm .
Take trail 51 which is awesome .
Take trail 53 which starts out as a road .

Correction- Trail 53 does not have any paved road evidence on it. It is the Tral that goes to Granny's Crack.
Back to top Go down
JodyT

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:50 am

Rooster, if you go past Granny's crack the trail does urn into a gravel road. From there it winds up on Hippie Mountain. You can go a # of ways on hippie mountain, that is the route those quads took to get to Forbus...
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/jodytompkins
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:22 pm

Bootlegger

"The only place I think I haven't been too but once was with a guy who lives in Jamestown, He took some of us to a few places about 7-8 years ago that I can't remember how to get back to save my life. I don't even know what you call it. I remember riding the creek bed for a distance and then turning up hill to a trail that was on the left. I know thats not much info but you may know what I mean?""""

Heck yeah ....

Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:36 pm

Rooster - man there are roadas leading up to dang near everytrail in that vicinity now Bro .
Its a changing to fast ...

Ok we went to Brimstone today and it was awesome .Its great and it bigger than Pickett of course it connects to so much .

When they make the through recreational trail in BSF we might can connect umm all .
Dont look doable unless the state gets involved .

I just hate to thnk of Wayne Lumber clear cutting Pickett - IMO Pickett the best riding area in the world - its got everything and more ....
Seems like Wayne could profit way way more using it as a atv area or OHV area
iTS bigger than we think to - Kim and i have 11 -12 days now there and we look at out tracks - since we have been going north west its getting bigger .
This year we found more open stuff than closed stuff ....
One of our trails i never mentioned is now very very hidden at the start but its wide open after you go 80 feet - this is the trail off to the right leading off trail one and ending in a big Clifff - but if you lookaround the end on the big cliff the old old trail keeps a going ...

Dan what do you think ? Ride to Monticello ?
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:39 pm

JodyT wrote:
Rooster, if you go past Granny's crack the trail does urn into a gravel road. From there it winds up on Hippie Mountain. You can go a # of ways on hippie mountain, that is the route those quads took to get to Forbus...

Very Happy

Last edited by Rooster on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:43 pm

Rooster - dide there is a road out thar --- when was last time you reallt probed the area ...

Probed man - probed --- LOL
We love ya Rooster
Now that JodyT HMMMMMMM Hair Pull
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:50 pm

JodyT wrote:

Never made it past Granny's Crack because I was always told it was Private Property down there and the trail came out on someone's farm. As far as riding Pickett and the last time I probed out there I am always probing out there. Right now I am spending my time probing up at Windrock
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:55 pm

Well anyways, Pickett is boring....Now if you really want to toke it up....I got some good crap for you.
Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:44 pm

Hey guys, Pickett outside of the State Forest, is ALL private property.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pickett versus Brimstone   

Back to top Go down

Pickett versus Brimstone
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next