Cumberland ATV Riders

ATV's & UTV's & Proud Supporters of our Troops!

HomeCalendarSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Mobile Two-Way Radio
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:27 pm by ranger tim

» Big Bottom Unit TWRA
Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:31 pm by tosha20

» Any one ever ride Franklin State Park or Natural area TN
Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm by tosha20

» Tackett Creek?
Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm by bigcat

» Skyline WMA
Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 pm by pwm

» 2010 Polaris Ranger 800XP $8000.00 SOLD
Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 pm by ranger tim

» New Machine!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 pm by dkoogler

» New Place in NC Found!!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 pm by dkoogler

» Hatfield McCoy Closing Some Trails
Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:51 pm by georgiagirl

Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Links
Mud-Throwers

Atv Trail Tunes

Four Wheelin Expeditions

QSC

June 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Hit Counter
hit counters

Share | 

Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
commanderjjones
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:55 am

We took the girls for their first ride on their new bikes this past Saturday. Our friends Susan (aka Bama) and her daughter Brantley came up from AL to join us. We've had a LOT of rain over the past 2 weeks and to say that the trails were sloppy would be a huge understatement. With the trails in such poor condition and them having basically no experience, keeping the bikes upright was difficult for them and I spent a considerable amount of time getting in and out of the RZR to help them........but all things considered, they did fairly well. It will take time for them to get some experience and be comfortable. Since we now had 2 empty seats on the RZR, we decided to also take my niece Arissa and nephew Isaiha.

Saturday 12/29
Here we are loaded up and getting some fuel before we hit the road.

It was sprinkling rain when we left the house, but the radar looked like it would be gone within a few minutes. That turned into a mix of sleet and snow about the time that we reached the campground, and we could see that the top of the mountain was already white.

After going to the campground and getting Bama and Brantley settled in, we were ready to ride. Leaving the trail from the campground, we soon discovered how muddy things were. I think that they wrecked (simple layovers) about 3 or 4 times each before we even got down to the trail that leads to the main parking area. At the end of this video, you can see Olivia (in the lead on the red bike) go off the trail and over a small embankment. Luckily it was only a small drop. This was on the last big hill from the campground that leads down to the parking area. Click on the pic' to watch the video.

After seeing how much they struggled with the campground trail, we decided to take an "easy" trail T2 to the top of the mountain.....not knowing that it was as even more sloppy than the previous trail. They laid it over a few more times, so we decided to take a break for a few minutes.

We finally made it up to G10 and decided to stick to gravel roads the rest of the day. The girls did considerably better after getting off of the slippery muck. I have to say in their defense that most of the places that they wrecked were so slick that it was difficult to even walk, much less keep a 2-wheeled vehicle upright with a novice pilot. Here's a couple of short videos with them riding on the "gravel" roads.

We finally made it up to G1, but Chloe's bike started acting up.....sporadically sputtering and dying, like a fuel starvation problem. I think it was just a piece of trash that finally worked itself through the carb and it straightened out after me riding it up and down the road a few times. Chloe was worn out from several spills and wrestling the bike, so she rode in the RZR with Carol driving, and I rode her bike for a while.....what a comical sight.

We took G1 to T33, down to G8.....our ultimate destination. I wanted to go there mainly because they have been logging and I knew there'd be plenty of easy firewood to warm us up. Although everything was thoroughly SOAKED, I still managed to get a fire going.....with the help of a fire starter log and a little foresite on my part. Laughing

After lunch and a warmup by the fire, it was about time to head back. With it still spitting snow and knowing that we had to go back up a muddy T33 to get back to gravel roads, I switched bikes with Olivia.....letting her ride the smaller one with auto clutch made things easier......and the larger bike with manual clutch felt much better under me.

It spit sleet and snow on us the entire way back. In all, we only logged 11 miles.....but I didn't expect to go VERY far on the girls' first outing on their bikes.

Sunday 12/30
Gary and Crystal came up from GA on Saturday evening and met Bama and Brantley at the cabin. Gary just traded in his Grizzly on a brand new RZR S and was itching to try it out. Cool

The girls were worn out from the previous day, and with trail conditions no better (worse, if anything), they decided to ride with us instead of their bikes. Carol and Hunter had to go to a birthday party, so they enjoyed taking turns riding in the front seat.....sometimes with me, sometimes with Bama or Crystal in the Rhinos.

From the campground trail down to the parking area, we took T1 over to T2......

.......then took T24 west toward the overlook.......

.........then by the old reservoir dam.

Once we hit G1 and went up the mountain, we decided to take G6 to T19, but got sidetracked by a couple of unmarked trails along the way and decided to explore. They both turned out to be dead ends, but they were secnic, and now I know that they lead nowhere. Although we started late because of the cold weather and the snow was already melting from the front side of mountain, there was still plenty on the north side where it never receives sun all day.

You could see frosty caps on the peaks of all the mountains and the one we were on was the same, so we headed up to see if we could get into the frost line.

I took us from T37 to T20, and hopefully into the frost line. We got there, but it was about 20' to 30' up in the trees.....so not quite as spectacular a pic' as I was hoping for.

So we started our way back down the trail, when all of the sudden, I spotted a guy crawling up the side of a steep ledge right on the edge of the trail and I immediately knew what that meant.......he'd driven over the edge Shocked . As I was getting out of the RZR to head toward him, his riding buddy came back down the trail to look for him. He had NO HELMET on, was in a daze, could barely stand (which I kept telling him to not do roll ), and my initial thought was that we were gonna have to speed him off of the mountain to the hospital. After a few minutes of evaluation, we confirmed that he was indeed okay (no life threatening injuries) and we started extracting his quad. His quad was 30' down and about 50 yards from the edge of the trail and in a spot that would make it nearly impossible for one of us to use our winch from the road. It had rolled over him going down the hill and came to rest straddling a large downed tree....luckily, still running and virtually unscratched Welcome to CATVR .

His buddy operated/drove the quad while Gary and I broke and sawed branches out of the way and connected the winch cable to multiple locations. The women stayed up on the trail and watched.....and evidently built minature snowmen Laughing . After about 30 minutes, we finally got him out.....making absolutely certain that we was okay to drive before we departed ways with them.

After doing the loop around T20, we headed back down to G6 where I did my second good deed for the day. One of the guys in a group of quads had a flat, and they had no plugs or air compressor, so I fixed it for them before continuing on. From there, we took G2 up toward the windmills to an overlook that's about a mile short of the windmills. The sun was setting and temp's were dropping quick, so that was our last stop of the day.

After a long, cold day on the trail, we thought that a hot meal (that we didn't have to COOK Laughing ) sounded nice. So I called Carol to have her and Hunter come meet us at the campground, and we went into Oliver Springs for dinner at Pizza Hut with everyone. Gary and Chloe had a big time playing some sort of game on the kids' menu. Laughing

We logged about 30 miles and it was a great day. Good riding with good friends......it doesn't get any better than that. Cool

Monday 12/31
Again, we started a little later than usual due to the cold weather. Olivia wanted to ride her bike but, as much as I wanted her to ride it, I talked her out of it.....promising that we'd go back soon to do some easier trails, and hopefully have slightly less muddy conditions. Olivia rode with me, Chloe rode with Crystal, and Hunter decided to break in the passenger's seat of Gary's new RZR. Unlike our usual habit of playing musical vehicles, that was pretty much the seating arrangement for the entire day. Hunter LOVED riding in the front......and in his "own" seat. Smile

We did one of my favorite loops........T2, T16, T18 (including the "extreme" section), T28, T29, and T30, over to G8. Because trail conditions were so bad, we decided to skip T31 and T32 (both are "extreme" trails).

We stopped for a break at the waterfall on T16.

Here are some pic's from the extreme section of T18.

And a couple of short videos from the same section of T18.

We stopped at the intersection of T18 and T28 for some lunch.

We didn't get many pic's after that. Bama had to get the Rhino (a rental) back to the campground before 5:00, so we took G8 to T33, then hit G1 and sped back toward camp. In all, we logged about the same as the day before......30 miles.

After a quick stop at the cabin for a group photo on the women......

.....along with the girls and Hunter.......

.......we drove into Oak Ridge for dinner at El Cantarito's with our friends Smile .

We had an awesome long weekend ride and it was great spending time with our friends. I hope they come back soon to ride with us again. Cool
Back to top Go down
http://boatmatetrailers.com
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:26 am

Great report and pix. I hate I missed most of it.

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup,  2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
georgiagirl
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:20 pm

Great ride report Jerry! We had a blast. Looking forward to the next one.
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:40 pm

Good Report and enjoyed seeing the pictures.

I just would like to mention one thing.......I noticed that you built that fire on a gravel rd. Hope you were not too near the gas wells. Those things put out gas fumes and as we all know methane gas has no smell. The rotten egg smell is not put into the gas at the well but at the compressor stations. Just a word of caution for the future.
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:31 pm

Rooster wrote:
Good Report and enjoyed seeing the pictures.

I just would like to mention one thing.......I noticed that you built that fire on a gravel rd. Hope you were not too near the gas wells. Those things put out gas fumes and as we all know methane gas has no smell. The rotten egg smell is not put into the gas at the well but at the compressor stations. Just a word of caution for the future.
How do you think he got the wet wood fired up Very Happy

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup,  2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
commanderjjones
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:57 pm

pwm wrote:
How do you think he got the wet wood fired up Very Happy
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Rooster,
Yes, I was cautious and a good distance from the well. Plus, it was very windy and we intentionally built the fire upwind.
Back to top Go down
Bamagirl
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:58 pm

Great ride report!

I had such a good time. Even though my sxs rental was flawed and wasnt what I had planned it all worked out and I had a good time. I have been shopping for a sxs today and Im trying to talk Boo into selling both the atvs and she can chauffeur us around in a new Rzr. Im not having any luck convincing her to go to the dark side. I keep thinking she will get tired of riding my wheelr down steep hills for me and agree to a sxs.

Looking forward to trying to ride in February in celebration of Brantlee's birthday... hopefully she will pass that permit test and get to try out that license to drive to Windrock. Folks might want to avoid Hwy 27 between Chattanooga and Harriman early that morning. LOL
Back to top Go down
http://dixiedrifters.12.forumer.com/
commanderjjones
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:43 am

Bamagirl wrote:
.......Folks might want to avoid Hwy 27 between Chattanooga and Harriman early that morning. LOL
LMAO Laughing
I think that I already warned a few about that.

I hope that everything works out with the SXS purchase and the February ride. Next weekend is the last youth hunt, so I'll be back in riding mode after that. Cool
Back to top Go down
georgiagirl
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:16 am

Good thing we take I-75! Laughing
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:55 pm

I should be back from Cali then and I will be ready to ride.

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
Bamagirl
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:11 pm

My dad brought up the point that her drivers permit may only be valid in AL and that she may not be legal to drive in TN. If thats the case that stinks! I been waiting 8 years for her to be able to drive us to and from Windrock... all those times I look over and she is sleeping while Im barely able to keep my eyes open. Its time for revenge! LOL
Back to top Go down
commanderjjones
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:25 pm

Bamagirl wrote:
........ all those times I look over and she is sleeping while Im barely able to keep my eyes open........
I can relate to that. I'm always the driver.........but come to think of it, that's probably best. Laughing

Good point about the permit validity. A quick call to the DMV should be able to clarify. Better yet, tell her DON'T GET PULLED OVER. lol!
Back to top Go down
Bamagirl
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:59 am

Sometimes I'm willing to chance the getting pulled over... I struggle the most going home. On the way Im so excited I dont want to sleep, but on the way home its all over but the cleaning up. YUCK!
Back to top Go down
Bamagirl
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:24 pm

Did some searches of the driving laws and Boo can drive in TN with an AL permit. As long as she abides by the driving laws. So she better not speed through Sale Creek, Dayton or Spring City!
Back to top Go down
commanderjjones
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:30 pm

Bamagirl wrote:
Did some searches of the driving laws and Boo can drive in TN with an AL permit. As long as she abides by the driving laws. So she better not speed through Sale Creek, Dayton or Spring City!
....or Harriman for that matter. Plenty of po-po around here. Shocked

So which weekend are we gonna do it again? My B-day is the 17th and hers is the 20th (which is a Wednesday).......so the following weeknd of 2/23 and 2/24?
Back to top Go down
Bamagirl
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:30 pm

Thats the plan Stan!
I reckon we are only riding on that Saturday, the 23rd... I think Gagirl and Gary is only coming up for the day to ride. I cant remember if she has said if they are in yet or not.

So I guess we need to keep the birthday candles away from the gas wells huh? Shoot I dont know if we could find a cake big enough to fit candles for you and Boo! We would have to have the fire dept on standby.

I can always tell her if she fails her permit test she has to stay home that weekend.... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
commanderjjones
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:32 pm

Bamagirl wrote:
......I can always tell her if she fails her permit test she has to stay home that weekend.... Twisted Evil
The great motivator. Wheeler
Back to top Go down
georgiagirl
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:39 pm

We plan to come up on the 23rd if all goes well. Smile
Back to top Go down
commanderjjones
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:43 pm

georgiagirl wrote:
Excellent. I was afraid that I was gonna have to get Hunter on Facetime with Gary and give him the guilt trip. Laughing

Looking forward to riding with y'all again. Maybe we'll have a little warmer (and drier) weather this time. Cool
Back to top Go down
Bamagirl
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:54 pm

The girls going to ride their dirt bikes that day? They talking about wanting to ride more on the bikes?
Back to top Go down
georgiagirl
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:02 pm

commanderjjones wrote:
georgiagirl wrote:
Excellent. I was afraid that I was gonna have to get Hunter on Facetime with Gary and give him the guilt trip. Laughing

Looking forward to riding with y'all again. Maybe we'll have a little warmer (and drier) weather this time. Cool

Good idea! Now I know what to do if Gary starts going into no-ride mode again! LOL ! Laughing

It wouldn't bother me if it snows that weekend! I'd love to ride in the snow again!
Back to top Go down
commanderjjones
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:24 pm

Bamagirl wrote:
The girls going to ride their dirt bikes that day? They talking about wanting to ride more on the bikes?
We'll see what the weather holds......and how much practice they get in before then. We've got the youth deer hunt coming up this weekend, but after that, we're riding every chance that we get. SO maybe they'll be ready for something other than the gravel roads by then.
Back to top Go down
commanderjjones
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:25 pm

georgiagirl wrote:
......It wouldn't bother me if it snows that weekend! I'd love to ride in the snow again!
Same here. It's cold, but better than sloppy mud. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bamagirl
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:24 am

But the mud is so much fun to throw on Brantlee if she is parked behind you too close! I have noticed you usually cover her with mud pretty good when its nice and muddy. Perfect 10
Back to top Go down
commanderjjones
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:08 pm

Bamagirl wrote:
......if she is parked behind you too close!.......
You think that she would learn after a while! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31   

Back to top Go down

Windrock New Years' eve ride 12/29, 30, and 31
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next