Cumberland ATV Riders

ATV's & UTV's & Proud Supporters of our Troops!

HomeCalendarSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Bledsoe State Forest Riding--Anyone Been?
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:09 am by dkoogler

» Big Bottom Unit TWRA
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 pm by dkoogler

» Mobile Two-Way Radio
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:27 pm by ranger tim

» Any one ever ride Franklin State Park or Natural area TN
Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm by tosha20

» Tackett Creek?
Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm by bigcat

» Skyline WMA
Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 pm by pwm

» 2010 Polaris Ranger 800XP $8000.00 SOLD
Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 pm by ranger tim

» New Machine!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 pm by dkoogler

» New Place in NC Found!!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 pm by dkoogler

Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Links
Mud-Throwers

Atv Trail Tunes

Four Wheelin Expeditions

QSC

October 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Hit Counter
hit counters

Share | 

Need help dealing with Polaris

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Big Al

PostSubject: Need help dealing with Polaris   Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:42 am

Does anyone know the names of the people at Polaris corporate that have the authority to make things happen?  I hope to avoid the “Polaris Shuffle” or at least try.

I have a 2013 RZR that I purchased toward the end of last summer.  A month or so ago the right rear axil broke while it was still in the 6 month warranty.  I took it to my dealer to fix the axil under warranty and also replace a rubber boot in the front which had a hole in it that I figured was caused by a stick.  They replaced both but didn’t charge for the axil, although it took 3 weeks or more and I too missed a vacation because of it.

Well, since then every tap they touched has either fell out or I noticed it was loose and tightened it myself, with the exception of the rear wheel which has not yet fell off.  Screws falling out of the skid plate, an arms left loose, and the final straw, they didn’t even tighten or put the cotter key back in the right front wheel which fell off while over 10 miles back in the mountain.  The nut and cotter key were nowhere to be found.  When this happened other things were damaged as well, and just before this happened, the other rear axle had broken.
Having to walk over 10 miles in the mountains in 20 degree weather was bad enough, but we ride where the trail is within 1 foot of bluffs that fall 200 feet plus.  These vehicles are built to go up to 60 mph easily, and even the more conservative people I have rode with here hit 30 plus in places where if you run off the road you will never be seen again.  What if the wheel had fallen off earlier in the day in one of these places?  What if my kid had been with me, or a friend that just can’t walk that far?  I was alone and checking out a trail that I had not been to before with the intention of taking our Boy Scout leader there the following week to check the place out for a camp out.  How many other RZRs are there in my area with the same problems, and someone’s kid riding in it?

I have not contacted the dealer yet, I plan to do that this morning.  I don’t think they will do anything at all because of the attitude they had the last time I tried to work with them.  I would appreciate any advice offered.

Thanks,

Alan D. Cash
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Need help dealing with Polaris   Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:09 am

Contacting Polaris probably will not do any good as this seems to be a dealer issue. I would contact the dealer to discuss and if I did not get a satisfying answer, I would shop dealers.

A good dealer would make it right.

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup,  2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
Big Al

PostSubject: Re: Need help dealing with Polaris   Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:27 am

I just called the dealer and asked if they had an axle nut in stock before I told them what was going on. They did not even have an axle nut in stock for a 2013 RZR 800 S. Then I told them what had happened and basically beg for help and was told by the owner of the store that she didn’t know that it was their fault and that it was not her responsibility to help me anyway. I just honestly don’t know how to respond to that! I am talking to a lawyer though.

Thanks,

Alan D. Cash
Back to top Go down
JodyT

PostSubject: Re: Need help dealing with Polaris   Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:13 pm

Who is your Dealer?
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/jodytompkins
Big Al

PostSubject: Re: Need help dealing with Polaris   Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:43 pm

I suppose I should go ahead and name names just in case someone else out there is riding around on the same problem. At first I did not want to do that in case they had a moment of sanity and tried to help me, but that is not going to happen. It is Rex’s in Columbia, KY. The lady who told me “it was not her responsibility” is Tammy Coffee. I have talked to a garage today that used to be a Polaris dealer who I bought a Ranger 400 from, and they think they can get someone to take back to the RZR and help fix it tomorrow. Thank god for these guys.

Thanks,

Alan
Back to top Go down
g-man
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Need help dealing with Polaris   Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:12 am

I would suggest you change you avatar before contacting an attorney, this is a public forum.
Back to top Go down
Big Al

PostSubject: Re: Need help dealing with Polaris   Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:41 pm

Well, I am finally out of the woods, literally. As for the photo in the avatar, that was a photo on my MX track from some time ago. I am not going to try to hide anything, everyone who knows me is aware of my track. This track did not break an axle or leave the cotter pin out of the hub nut. There is a down ramp on the other side of this photo and the landing at least as smooth as if you topped a hill fast on smooth groomed, dirt. I have not rode this part of the tack for a good while because the weather has been such that I can’t do much with the grader blade, and it is not a good idea to try this if the ramp is rutted. Rocks in the mountain are much harder on any machine than a well calculated smooth track. I have had 2 axles break, and neither of them was jumping. Both occurred in extremely cold weather while spinning up a hill on a trail.

Anyway, if anyone cares to know, McClain Motor Sports in Monticello KY did help me out, Erick their mechanic took me up there on a 4 wheeler and fixed it. I had to pay him of coarse but that is why they call it a business. I am very grateful that McClain was willing to do that when the person who sold it to me and left the cotter pin out, smarted off to me and refused to help. Between paying McClain, paying Norris for the parts that Rex did not have, paying for parking for the wonderful people who tried to help but would not take any pay, makeshift parts from a machine shop because Rex was the only one open on Monday, and did not stock an axle nut, and gas, I am out a little over $1,000 and still have a bunch of stuff to replace that was bent or chafed by the spinning front axle after the wheel came loose.

Am I wrong in thinking that this is inexcusable poor serves from Rex’s?

Thanks,

Alan
Back to top Go down
Big Al

PostSubject: Re: Need help dealing with Polaris   Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:27 pm

Back to top Go down
Big Al

PostSubject: Re: Need help dealing with Polaris   Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:29 pm

Oops, I don't know how to use these little smiley things. I meant to say is this better? The smiley thing goes here. Just use your imagination.

Alan
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Need help dealing with Polaris   Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:41 pm

Glad you got it fixed. I would find me a new dealer. Took me 3 to find the one I liked.

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup,  2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
bigcat
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Need help dealing with Polaris   Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:11 pm

Phil is right. I have had some bad issues with several dealers. Good ones are few and far between.
I would be pissed if it had happened to me too.
Back to top Go down
Bamagirl
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Need help dealing with Polaris   Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:14 am

After I had some work done on my brand new Rzr I received emails to fill out a survey. Most people don't want to take the time but I ALWAYS take the time to fill out a survey on the service that was done and any other time they send me one to give my opinion on how to improve things sxs and atv related.
The surveys I completed were maybe sent on the behalf of the local dealer instead of corporate but like the others suggested, if the one you have been going to doesn't meet your needs, sometimes its worth the drive to take it to someone else.

Good luck to you and glad no one was seriously hurt by the mishap.
Back to top Go down
http://dixiedrifters.12.forumer.com/
GIP
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Need help dealing with Polaris   Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:58 pm

Not trying to be mean but any work I get done on anything I always check the quality of work performed before I use it. Nuts bolts alignment, etc... I have found missing lugs loose lugs, loose nuts and bolts, missing hardware think about it its worth rechecking work its your machine in the end, I do agree customer service in this instance sucked
Back to top Go down
Big Al

PostSubject: Re: Need help dealing with Polaris   Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:24 pm

Ok, just to give closure to this drama. I have acquired all additional needed parts from e-bay, and repaired the RZR myself. I have a few new words of wisdom to live by as a result of this experience; “If you can’t fix it yourself, you shouldn’t own it!” I will always do my own repairs from this point forward. It’s not that difficult with the exception of something like an engine rebuild, and look at it like this, you are making $60/hr while you are doing it because that is what you would be paying the dealer. And because it’s your machine, you will do a better job.

I have come to the conclusion after hours of research that there is not a machine like a RZR built that could be considered “dependable,” with the possible exception of Tomcar. I have no personal experience with these vehicles but from the information I get from others, unless the current marketer of the product has watered down the original product, these things should be very durable. They are Israeli defense vehicles that were declassified a few years back and are now marketed to the public by a company in Australia, or this is their origin in general. I may not be exact on all the facts here. There is one big problem with these vehicles that keep me from buying one. They are all 2 wheel drive. In development they seem to have decided that front wheel drive was too much of a technical liability that from a safety/dependability point of view the opted not to use it. I suspect that this vehicle has been retired for a 4 wheel drive version, and that may be why it was declassified. I have seen promotional videos where about six dudes rolled one end over end down a hill with car sized boulders, got back in at the bottom, drove it to the top, and done it again. These things were designed to be dropped out of helicopters. I think when you got somebody shooting at you, it tends to motivate you to get things rite when it comes to your escape vehicle.

Anyway, again I have not tried one but if you can make your piece with 2 wheel drive, these are worth a look. I would have already sold my RZR and bought one if they were 4 wheel drives. Because my RZR is paid for and I don’t have payments, for now I will keep it and just look at the parts and reinforcements I have to make as a monthly payment. I have found a machine shop that can reinforce the frame for me for a reasonable price and they do a great job. In case you may need them the name is Monticello Machine Shop and their phone number is 606-348-5791. They are located in Monticello, KY. They do stay busy, but even though get to you relatively quickly, and have a very courteous and professional business attitude.

As for my Polaris dealer, I went to visit them and show them the parts I replaced, mainly in an attempt to learn from the experience and I hoped they would learn something too. Well, I learned a lot, and though they did make a decent attempt at a piece offering, I am sure they learned nothing from the whole ordeal! After I left the dealership and had time to think about it I came to the conclusion that they simply had a different philosophy than me and we would never agree on much. At one point when I mentioned that as an RPh, had I done something like that I would not be able to live with myself, the return argument was “Well we are not giving people pills that could kill them, we are just selling toys.” My thought, though I didn’t say anything, was “Yea, toys that go faster off road around bluffs than you can legally drive on most blacktop roads!”

Now, the rest of the story. They main reason I even own a RZR is to use it as an experiment to see if it is feasible to promote them to the public as a replacement for MX bikes to old, fat, out of shape, broken up dudes like myself. I was considering becoming a dealer. Well, this case is now closed, and the answer is a resounding NO! This experiment was a complete and miserable failure. All of these and similar machines available are relatively junk and will never hold up to racing or even weekend hot-rodding. The majority of people I have found that have good luck with them are the ones that occasionally ride them in the yard or on a farm. I know such a vehicle can be built it is just not being done. The answer is motivation! KTM’s motto is “Ready to race!” and that is their attitude in manufacturing. It’s ambition and a positive belief system that results in an incredible product. This belief system extends all the way down to the dealers. KTM seeks out people who race themselves to represent their product as dealers. Polaris on the other hand is trying to buy the cheapest Chinese parts they can find and their philosophy is to maximize current profits at the expense of future profits and most definitely the public. Tomcar’s motto is “There and back.” The Polaris motto seems to be, as so eloquently stated by my dealer “We will get your out there, it’s not our responsibility to get you back!”

The end, I will shut up now and get off my soap box, glean from this what you will.

Alan D. Cash RPh
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Need help dealing with Polaris   Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:35 pm

I will say that I agree 100% that no manufacturer makes a product that will withstand our style and terrain of riding. One of the reasons I am without a sxs today although I will eventually get another, it will be after a lot of research and feedback from fellow riders like yourself.

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
OutlanderDan
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Need help dealing with Polaris   Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:45 am

I agree. What folks like Jody and others put their machines through, Polaris definitely does not have that level of quality built in. I know Jody spends a lot of time and money staying ahead of those mechanical failures, it goes back to the old saying...Gotta pay to play...nothing about off roading is cheap.

I keep my XP in great shape by just looking at it parked in the garage every time I walk through there...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help dealing with Polaris   

Back to top Go down

Need help dealing with Polaris
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1