Cumberland ATV Riders

ATV's & UTV's & Proud Supporters of our Troops!

HomeCalendarSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Bledsoe State Forest Riding--Anyone Been?
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:09 am by dkoogler

» Big Bottom Unit TWRA
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 pm by dkoogler

» Mobile Two-Way Radio
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:27 pm by ranger tim

» Any one ever ride Franklin State Park or Natural area TN
Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm by tosha20

» Tackett Creek?
Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm by bigcat

» Skyline WMA
Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 pm by pwm

» 2010 Polaris Ranger 800XP $8000.00 SOLD
Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 pm by ranger tim

» New Machine!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 pm by dkoogler

» New Place in NC Found!!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 pm by dkoogler

Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Links
Mud-Throwers

Atv Trail Tunes

Four Wheelin Expeditions

QSC

December 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Hit Counter
hit counters

Share | 

Windshield ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mikeh

PostSubject: Windshield ?   Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:17 pm

We got our first sxs a few months ago and have never ridden one on a good ride. I want to get a windshield, but am clueless about the best type. I've noticed many have 1/2 windshields, but do they do much good? I sat in a Maverick like mine with one and was looking over the top. Are they even worth having? A full would be nice, but no wipers. Opinions please.
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Windshield ?   Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:56 am

Don't waste your money on a half windshield. No one that I know that ever had one liked it. Go all out and get a full windshield. Something that flips up so you can open it when you need extra ventilation is a good choice. Polaris has a Flip Up that works well but probably does not fit your CanAm. Look at what Kolpin has to offer for the Maverick. Here is a link to a Kolpin.

Kolpin Can Am Maverick Full Tilt Windshield

http://www.utvpartsandaccessories.com/Can_Am_maverick_windshields_front_rear_page.htm
(4th Windshield Down on the Page)

Don't use Windex on any windshield you buy. Get some Microfiber Cloths that you can wash and a good plastic cleaner. I use Maquires Plastix from Walmart. Works good.
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Windshield ?   Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:01 am

Like Rooster said, don't get the half although they are nice sometimes, a full flip with half option is the way to go.

http://extrememetalproducts.com/search.html?q=windshield&go=Search

This one is the one I would buy.

http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/browse-products/can-am-commander-accessories/can-am-commander-full-tilting-windshield.html

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup,  2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
Bamagirl
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Windshield ?   Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:31 am

And just another 2 cents is dont waste your time or money with the plexiglass stuff either, seems like everybody that has those end up replacing them and going to the good windows. They make them with a really good material that is harder to scratch. Most of those materials when the water hits it bead up almost like it has rainex on the windows. I have the Polaris full windshield and have been extremely happy with it but I am looking to get one of the flip out windows to give a little more air flow in the cab. When I bought mine they said I would want to get a back glass to help keep the dust from swirling around and getting in the back of the cab. They make all kinds of shields other than the hard glass and found them on Rocky Mtn atv website.

As far as cleaning goes, I saw a lady have a squeegy at Windrock one time and when I got back to camp that evening I went to town and got a handheld squigy from ACE hardware in Oliver Springs. I first started out with a spray bottle of water but ended up changing to a squirt water bottle that gives a little more force to clean the dirt off the window. I usually try to fill the bottle up at home before I leave and keep it in the cab of the Rzr and then refill at creek crossings once on the trail.

Take some pictures of your ride when you get a chance and lets see the goodys you add on as you go. Cool
Back to top Go down
http://dixiedrifters.12.forumer.com/
mikeh

PostSubject: Re: Windshield ?   Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:27 pm

Great info! Thanks! Bama, the goodies will be minimal. Starting with a winch, windshield and bottom protection. What is the best winch for the $? Will rarely be used. I'm not a mudder.
Back to top Go down
Bamagirl
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Windshield ?   Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:24 pm

Ive wondered about a winch too... I dont have one and never thought I would need it. I can only see a few instances where I might need one and just dont want to spend the $ on one that I may or may not ever use.
I know I will use the skidplates... Just havent let go of the money for them yet. I plan to get the Trail Armor skids to go with the rock sliders I bought a few weeks ago. I get busy getting things ordered and installed once a ride gets planned and gets close to the date on the calendar. LOL I hate that I always do that but its done so often that it seems normal.

What kind of skids are you looking at?
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Windshield ?   Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:23 pm

As far as winch's, I am a Warn guy but they are very pricey and plastic gearing like everyone else.  For my Arctic Cat, I put on a Viper Elite which is 1/2 the cost and so far, I am very happy with it.

https://motoalliance.com/Site.Store.go?action=showCategoryContents&catId=217

For skids, make sure they are UHMW and NOT ALUMINUM.  The best ones I have seen is Factory UTV but Trail Armor is right up there as well.

http://www.factoryutv.net/uhmw.htm

http://www.trailarmor.com/

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup,  2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
bigcat
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Windshield ?   Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:50 pm

I have a Viper winch on my ranger. Has been a good one so far.
Back to top Go down
georgiagirl
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Windshield ?   Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:07 pm

I used to have a half windshield on my Rhino when I had it, and up until recently had one on my Rzr. I liked that it allowed a lot of air flow in the summer, but when it was dusty, I caught myself trying to look over it (which was hard since I'm short). Recently I bought a second-hand Polaris full windshield. This weekend will be my first ride with it on. I used Plexus to clean it. I also bought a second-hand Polaris 3500 lb synthetic rope winch from the same guy. Haven't had an occasion to use it yet.
Back to top Go down
georgiagirl
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Windshield ?   Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:30 am

The polaris windshield worked great this weekend. I really like that it's scratch resistant & how easy it is to pop on/off. I did have a problem with it fogging up Sunday morning when it was cold first thing in the morning. Is there a trick to prevent fogging?
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Windshield ?   Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:57 am

Get one of those 12v clip on fans and point it towards the windshield.

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
georgiagirl
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Windshield ?   Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:17 am

pwm wrote:
Get one of those 12v clip on fans and point it towards the windshield.

Cool, thanks!
Back to top Go down
mikeh

PostSubject: Re: Windshield ?   Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:02 pm

Back to top Go down
Bamagirl
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Windshield ?   Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:01 am

Sweet!
Back to top Go down
mikeh

PostSubject: Re: Windshield ?   Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:35 pm

My avatar shows the windshield that I built. I had laminated glass cut to fit the frame.  Installed glass with this.  http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Glass-Windshield-Urethane-Adhesives/_/R-MMM08693_0006438186  Installed 1/4 plexiglass for back window.  They work great.  I am working on the top. I have $150 in the windshield and $35 in the back window.
Back to top Go down
Bamagirl
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Windshield ?   Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:16 pm

Nice creek in your picture!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windshield ?   

Back to top Go down

Windshield ?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top