Cumberland ATV Riders

ATV's & UTV's & Proud Supporters of our Troops!

HomeCalendarSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Mobile Two-Way Radio
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:27 pm by ranger tim

» Big Bottom Unit TWRA
Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:31 pm by tosha20

» Any one ever ride Franklin State Park or Natural area TN
Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm by tosha20

» Tackett Creek?
Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm by bigcat

» Skyline WMA
Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 pm by pwm

» 2010 Polaris Ranger 800XP $8000.00 SOLD
Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 pm by ranger tim

» New Machine!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 pm by dkoogler

» New Place in NC Found!!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 pm by dkoogler

» Hatfield McCoy Closing Some Trails
Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:51 pm by georgiagirl

Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Links
Mud-Throwers

Atv Trail Tunes

Four Wheelin Expeditions

QSC

June 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Hit Counter
hit counters

Share | 

Pickett 11/12 and 11/13 any new things to note ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Pickett 11/12 and 11/13 any new things to note ?   Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:05 pm

Hey we are about to hit the trails tomorrow , just hiking around BSF today .

What all should i be aware of ?
Jody had mentioned some small trees cut over one of my favorite trails ....

I didnt know how much of any is closed etc etc due to logging .

Any comments really appreciated .

Jerry

Back to top Go down
http://www.absolutetreework.com
oldmustangjunkie

PostSubject: Re: Pickett 11/12 and 11/13 any new things to note ?   Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:34 pm

I was there about a month ago and everything seem ok. Trees were down at Horse Rock but could be cleared by a chainsaw in an hour or so. Gate behind Dry Valley Church is likely shut.
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Pickett 11/12 and 11/13 any new things to note ?   Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:20 pm

Well dang i don t have a chain saw but i do have a had saw - dumb butt me -

Pickett is top riding area in my opinion - it cannot be beat .

Hey Guy i was in BSF today and yall will not believe this - there are some atv trails .
Back to top Go down
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Pickett 11/12 and 11/13 any new things to note ?   Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:14 pm

If you like proper grammar and spelling do not read further ---- Dead Horse

The dry hollow  gate is open during the day - ive been around that gate anyhow you go off to the right and its a bit but if i remember you come out down the road a ways - I think there are many ways -- all are a bit much ..... then theres another way,,, way way around ... you come out at the old school house but i havent done that in years that crosses hunting lease land - If i remeber right - now coreect me please cause ill need to know sooner or later ...

The trail up Edwards mountain is getting challanging for a SXS with a decent driver should not have any problem with it , i made it but i dont think many atvs will drive that , never know .
The way around - which is down the road to the right seems to be closed now . I thought that was a road - now theres a new house up there and its like a driveway - whats up with that ?

There was alot of logging off the side of Black House mountain road and then on back in there toward trail 56 - its basicially un passable .I spoke with the loogers for a good while and they assured me they were going to clean the trails up and make them rideable again but some of the looging i saw was some of the worst ive ever seen - I know its steep but i used to log and we never left perfect snags - they are just raping it taking all the easy and leaving snags everywhere .
They are nice though - they didnt seem like logers much but i was loggin in 1985- 1989 90 91 and so much has changed - now days they leave so so so much wood and nobody does their stumpage . Its pretty sickening to me . Thats bad coming from a ex logger and tree service owner .

Everything else was great - the trails all seem really really used compared to 2010 . Some of them have washed out and all the holes are full - the main trails are fun theres so many ways to get down them i didnt even recognize trails i had ridden befor .
For the very first time in all my trip to Pickett i did not ride the car hauler or twin logs brideg trail so i dont know its condition - Last time i rode it even the side by sides were getting stuck and flipping over and i felt pretty terrified but it was raining to so that added to the entire effect .
I noticed the sand mine trails were all really worn in to , amd 2 years ago they were bringing logging trucks in there and you were not supposed to be there was the word i got --- well all that is very very open now
GOOD ole trail 51 is still absolutly perfect and the hill looks real steep but if you ride it on the right you can stop a bike at the absolute steepest part and still keep riding - you can crawl it obviously .
Not the little tiny hill off the sand mine asphalt road that starts 51 has gotton steeper - i think ?
Anyhow if im not mistaken there is away around that off the ridge .

Seems to be if anything the place is much more heavily used than it was in 2010 and id say all the hills are more technical - due to erosion and alot of use .We like to ride at high speed as we can and all the meens is about 25 sometimes ill hit 35 but that rare - so im always using the sport quad tracks and or making my own .

There were little orange yellow triangle signs everywhere - i meen on dang near every dang tree .
And there were several big white and black signs saying" Turn around here or now - i forget .
The little signs on every damn tree all say no atvs and no hunting without a lease .

To that how ever i met and spoke with one logger for a good time and he was way cool and nice - he told me "go on ride on through , the skidder is just there ' I asked him if he wanted a ride back to any of the landings  or anything and he said no he was going back a station - I dunno what he meant - a station - i guess thats like where little trucks are for tools etc etc - But its not a landing .
Landings are where you skid the wood to and load it ... for any who dont know .

So all in all i met him - talked w him twice - then i met his crew and the crew boss and we all made jokes about me offering him a ride - i said he looked like he needed one LOL he was red .
They laughed hard and told me they were gonna clean it up really good and they seemed sincere to , good grief i think our deffination of cleaned up is different .
Now i also met one of the Picket State Park rangers who seemed to be on patrol and was really nice to - he just wanted to know how much i had ridden there and where the heck were my seats LOL - i always stow my seats of course in case one magically flys off in the wind .
I have heard that alot but has not happend to me that i can rememeber .
Soon as that ranger knew i had my seats stowed away he chilled out huge ,,, He said oh good so youve ridden here befor - cause i just really really dont want to have to come and pull you out of there and he smiled - i told him i had others for that if my cell phone would work but all i really had was a rope and a very good tool selection and parts bag all kept way under 15 pounds .
We bring gas to middle of tril one then ditch it so we dont have much weight at all on our bikes .
Kim was trying out her first ever set of real race shocks and a completely rebuilt suspension .
Custom Axis Shocks built by Josh at Dirt Works - Ive never seen here grinning so much and we traded bikes for 2 days As i dialed them in - which as most of you know is a very hard thing to do unti you have the spring rates and valving  exactly right for the rider etc ...

Anyhow bla bla bla on and on ---- Sorry - just so stoked on this place i cant shut up --- its just so good ......

PICKETT REALLY DELIVERS AS ONE OF THE BEST RIDING AREAS ON THE PLANET
Deff my favorite area - its got it all - therre is another area that rivals it but i dont think i can talk about it so much ........
East Coast OHV is the Bomb- i like Moab sure but east coast is better All the mega tracks are east coast like Unidilla and Lorreta's We got it    Wheeler Wheeler Wheeler Oh Yeah Oh Yeah Oh Yeah
Back to top Go down
commanderjjones
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Pickett 11/12 and 11/13 any new things to note ?   Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:57 am

I love Pickett to and that's some good info'.

We went there this past Labor Day, but only got to ride on Saturday because it came a torrential downpour that night, so we packed up to leave Sunday morning......instead of staying to ride Sunday and Monday as we had originally intended. We saw a few "no trespassing" signs that were mainly posted near newly erected gates, but none of them were closed......and there were a ton of people blowing past them, so we did the same.

So the ranger guy didn't offer any insight on the future of trail riding up there?
Back to top Go down
http://boatmatetrailers.com
darkstar
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Pickett 11/12 and 11/13 any new things to note ?   Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:54 pm

No that ranger was really nice but we just didnt go there ....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pickett 11/12 and 11/13 any new things to note ?   

Back to top Go down

Pickett 11/12 and 11/13 any new things to note ?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1