Cumberland ATV Riders

ATV's & UTV's & Proud Supporters of our Troops!

HomeCalendarSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Bledsoe State Forest Riding--Anyone Been?
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:09 am by dkoogler

» Big Bottom Unit TWRA
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 pm by dkoogler

» Mobile Two-Way Radio
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:27 pm by ranger tim

» Any one ever ride Franklin State Park or Natural area TN
Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm by tosha20

» Tackett Creek?
Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm by bigcat

» Skyline WMA
Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 pm by pwm

» 2010 Polaris Ranger 800XP $8000.00 SOLD
Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 pm by ranger tim

» New Machine!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 pm by dkoogler

» New Place in NC Found!!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 pm by dkoogler

Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Links
Mud-Throwers

Atv Trail Tunes

Four Wheelin Expeditions

QSC

December 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Hit Counter
hit counters

Share | 

Hatfield - McCoy Trail Predicaments

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Hatfield - McCoy Trail Predicaments   Tue May 27, 2008 10:20 pm

By: Claude Taylor
Of all the pictures we have taken there, none show the severity of some of the places on the trails. I should say challenges, or better yet, predicaments, that my so-called friends get us into. I just finished my sixth trip to the Hatfield-McCoyTrail Systems, and I was asked by my wife, “Aren’t you tired of riding up there?” Well, no! It is different every time we ride the trail systems. This year, for the first time, we rode the Pinnacle Creek Trail System. This was a very different ride, very scenic, and we saw the most deer there. We found the trails easy, even the blacks. As usual the, “Come on you can do it” came into play and I had to ride my 250 Suzuki Ozark on the black trails and not with the greatest of ease but, with much bouncing around, holding on for dear life, and holding my breath. I also ride a Yamaha 350 Warrior. So, I’m not a total wimp. I made it, but I don’t know how; and L4 & L5 from the bottom of my back is now at the bottom of my neck. I am the only one without 4-wheel drive, and they have shamed me so bad this year I have to get a new ATV. I just have to find the right time to tell my wife.
We left Pinnacle Creek and headed to the Browning Fork Trail System we call “Rockhouse” in Gilbert, WV. This is still our all-time-favorite trail system. It has such a variety of trails and degrees of difficulties or predicaments. You can easily, well not easily, ride for two or three days on this system. The best is at the top trailhead, Rockhouse, and into the town of Man for lunch at the “Hillbilly Fire Pit” restaurant.
Gilbert, West Virginia seems to be the center point of the trail system, and we like it there; it is comfortable and friendly, and we like the accommodations there. There is something special about riding your ATV in town, going to a restaurant or store, or just riding around. I just hope some idiot doesn’t mess this up.
At the end of the day’s ride, we had our usual fire-side meeting at the “Mountain Breeze Motel” to review our day’s predicaments. We met a great bunch of guys from New Jersey on their first trip to the Hatfield-McCoy trails. Just when I thought nobody read my articles, they tell me they had read one of my articles and planned their trip from it. That made my day! It is great to share your experiences and then find someone who has enjoyed it as much as you did. During that fireside gathering, we were told a story by someone, and you know who you are, Kendell, about a cow and a wooden stick used to prop-up a clothesline to keep the clothes off the ground. I can’t tell the story; you have to hear it from the source. It is one of the funniest stories I’ve heard. So, you have to ride the Hatfield-McCoy trails and go to a fireside gathering at the Mountain Breeze Motel to hear the story. This whole thing is about getting away, enjoying riding ATVs with your friends, and meeting great people along the way.
The third day we went to Matewan, WV at the Kentucky border, to ride the Buffalo Mountain Trail System, our second favorite. Believe me when I say that all of the trails are blue and dark blue, but they are fun; we really like them. On this mountain is an underground coal fire that you can see the smoke coming out of the ground and smell it and feel the heat from it. There are lots of beautiful rock formations and there were lots of, “come on, you can do it, we will help you” predicaments on this system. Kids, don’t try this, this is only done by professional idiots, like my friends.
We had lunch in the town of Pikeville, Kentucky on the other side of the river from Williamson, West Virginia. How cool is that!
Day four was spent in Gilbert riding in town and at the IROC, Indian Ridge Off-Road and Custom Shop, getting an oil change, minor repairs, buying parts and accessories. Later on when we went back to the Browning Fork trails trying to find predicaments we had been in a few years ago, we found them. What a rush, why do I keep listening to them, “Come on ,you can do it”!
The last day, day five, we rode Dingess Rum Trail System. We had a fun full day even though half the trails were closed because of logging. As you would have it, we rode mostly dark blue trails, you guessed it, and “Come on, you can do it”!
The Hatfield-McCoy Trail Systems are the best in the nation! You’ve got to do it! Just remember, “The more the merrier is not always true.” My friends will know what I mean.

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup,  2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
bubbanewf

PostSubject: Re: Hatfield - McCoy Trail Predicaments   Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:14 am

That was a very interesting story. Sounds like a great place to take an ATV trip to.
Back to top Go down
REPOMAN

PostSubject: Re: Hatfield - McCoy Trail Predicaments   Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:56 pm

I would like to get a group together and go there next summer
Back to top Go down
ollie
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Hatfield - McCoy Trail Predicaments   Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:59 pm

I'm in too. Read lots of stories and blogs about the system there. never heard a bad thing about riding there. ALSO! there is a couple of places that rent ATV's so you could drive,rent and ride!
Back to top Go down
bigcat
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Hatfield - McCoy Trail Predicaments   Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:33 pm

I have been there twice, nice place and nice people
Back to top Go down
powerbomb400

PostSubject: Re: Hatfield - McCoy Trail Predicaments   Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:01 am

Yoshi,Tyler and me love riding there. We are getting ready to go again in a week and half. Third time this year. We go for our family vacation there every year for the last three years. Wonderful riding and wonderful people. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Airborne LT

PostSubject: Re: Hatfield - McCoy Trail Predicaments   Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:06 am

If you fellers are down for June and we can line up the dates with when I am going home on leave for my family reunion, you can count me in!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hatfield - McCoy Trail Predicaments   

Back to top Go down

Hatfield - McCoy Trail Predicaments
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1