Cumberland ATV Riders

ATV's & UTV's & Proud Supporters of our Troops!

HomeCalendarSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Bledsoe State Forest Riding--Anyone Been?
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:09 am by dkoogler

» Big Bottom Unit TWRA
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 pm by dkoogler

» Mobile Two-Way Radio
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:27 pm by ranger tim

» Any one ever ride Franklin State Park or Natural area TN
Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm by tosha20

» Tackett Creek?
Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm by bigcat

» Skyline WMA
Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 pm by pwm

» 2010 Polaris Ranger 800XP $8000.00 SOLD
Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 pm by ranger tim

» New Machine!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 pm by dkoogler

» New Place in NC Found!!
Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 pm by dkoogler

Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Links
Mud-Throwers

Atv Trail Tunes

Four Wheelin Expeditions

QSC

December 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Hit Counter
hit counters

Share | 

Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:46 pm

I'll tell you the Garmin Manual leaves alot to be desired. I am slowly finding out how these units work.

One of the first things I did was buy a Memory Card for mine. I got a 1gb Card cheap at Walmart. This allows me to store more information than the Internal Memory. Especially more Tracks.

If you are going to capture a track for a whole days ride then you should make some adjustments to the default settings.

Here is what I have mine set for and find that it works well for me.

#1 From the Main Menu select TRACKS. From the TRACKS screen select SETUP. Uncheck the box WRAP WHEN FULL. This keeps the unit from overwriting the Track when the memory fills up.

#2 From the TRACKS, SETUP Screen set the Record Method to AUTO, Interval to LESS OFTEN. I have found that on a full day ride this setting works pretty good. As an Alternate you can try setting the Record Method to TIME and the Interval to 15 seconds. This will create a smaller track file and keep you from
filling up memory. Either way should be find.

If you have a Memory Card install then try Option #3

#3 From the TRACKS, SETUP Screen you should see a box that says DATA CARD SETUP. Scroll down and select that. Make sure the box LOG TRACK TO DATA CARD is checked. This allows the unit to store the Track File on the Data Card instead of the internal memory.

#4 If you have a memory card installed one other thing you should change. You will find this from the Main Menu, SETTINGS, MAP. Scroll across the top of the screen to Map Setup - Tracks. Change the Saved Tracks option to AUTO. Track Log to AUTO. Track Points to 10000. This will let the unit hold more track points. I think the Factory Default for Track Points is 3000.

Hope this helps someone.
Back to top Go down
pwm
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:59 am

Great info Thanks

PP Windshield F&B, EMP EXT Bumper, Warn 40XT, Kobalt Box, Backwoods Armor 2" Lift/Arched Forward A-Arms, ProArmor Doors, DJ Fab Heat Shield, KFI Front Hitch, UTV Tech Mud Guard & Grill Insert, Crow 4-point Harness, Hi Lift Jack, 27" Horns, SS108's, Garmin 76csx, IPOD 80GB w/Otter Box, ATV Trail Tunes Sounds, Dual Battery Setup,  2-way Radio, PWM Built Spare Tire/Gas Carrier, Diamond Back Top & Floor Mats, HID's, FlexSteel Seats

PWM's Pix

Back to top Go down
ollie
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:06 am

Did it to my Rino 530 yesterday, any other cool things i can do? used it to for a little bit and down loaded it to my computer. Is there a way to earse trachs, how bout saving them. thanks for the help everyone! hail
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:43 pm

ollie wrote:
Did it to my Rino 530 yesterday, any other cool things i can do? used it to for a little bit and down loaded it to my computer. Is there a way to earse trachs, how bout saving them. thanks for the help everyone! hail

You want to erase them in the GPSr or on your computer?
Back to top Go down
ollie
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:04 pm

on the gps, i used it to go to the store and took a detour home to see how it worked.
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:19 pm

You can erase the Active Track this way. Go to the Menu. Go to the Tracks page. Press the MENU/FIND key. A little Pop Up menu will appear. Select Delete All Saved.

Saved Tracks are handled differently. What I told you here is for the Active Track.
Back to top Go down
ollie
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:25 pm

i will give it a try! thanks, appearantly no one around here has or knows alot about GPS's thanks again rooster!
Back to top Go down
bigcat
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:46 pm

I know my GPS gets erased everytime I drink to many. Takes a day or two to reset.
Oh, wait, you guys are talking about something different. bonk

Maybe someday I will have a real GPS. For now I just try to memorize trails.
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:49 pm

bigcat wrote:
I know my GPS gets erased everytime I drink to many. Takes a day or two to reset.
Oh, wait, you guys are talking about something different. bonk

Maybe someday I will have a real GPS. For now I just try to memorize trails.

Yea Bigcat cracked a joke, what kind of GPS are you talking about. I think I need one of those. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:50 pm

ollie wrote:
i will give it a try! thanks, appearantly no one around here has or knows alot about GPS's thanks again rooster!

Anytime Ollie, don't mind helping you out. Just ask.
Back to top Go down
Venture420

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:01 pm

feel free to go to guidedgps.com or visit our forum for gps questions I try to keep an eye out to help out here but i missed it in all the things i read i completely read over the question and missed what was being asked sry.
Back to top Go down
http://www.guidedgps.com
Dan

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:27 pm

Rooster wrote:

#3 From the TRACKS, SETUP Screen you should see a box that says DATA CARD SETUP. Scroll down and select that. Make sure the box LOG TRACK TO DATA CARD is checked. This allows the unit to store the Track File on the Data Card instead of the internal memory.

#4 If you have a memory card installed one other thing you should change. You will find this from the Main Menu, SETTINGS, MAP. Scroll across the top of the screen to Map Setup - Tracks. Change the Saved Tracks option to AUTO. Track Log to AUTO. Track Points to 10000. This will let the unit hold more track points. I think the Factory Default for Track Points is 3000.
In #3 there are several caveats to this. I don't understand it at all. I haven't determined what triggers the data to be saved to the card. This last weekend, I collected data on Saturday and again on Sunday without clearing the Track Log. I checked my card tonight and it had files for each of the last five days I had collected data... each file name was the date data was recorded, eg., 20080906.gpx, note the gpx file type. When I read out the current Track Log, it had both the last two days recordings. The data in the card files are separated according to date... yet only five files are present. Why only five? I have never cleared the card and it's set this way for many months. I got to investigate this more and try to figure out what triggers the save. I also cannot find a way to read the card data back into the unit directly.

In #4, when I save a track in the Garmin, it always reduces large tracks data to 500 points. My unit can only hold 20 saved tracks, 500 points each.

Here's a tip...

At the start of a trail, turn ON the TRACK LOG, then at the end of that trail, turn OFF the TRACK LOG. This separates the track log so that the track start and end can be properly identified. I found that it was impossible to identify trails when the TRACK LOG runs continuously. Turning it OFF, then right back to ON, will break the recording into identifible segments.
Back to top Go down
ollie
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:39 am

Rockbottom went to your site and regestered yesterday, should be fun. This is all new to me so it might take alittle bit. I have the memory card installes and all the software installed on my computer. its slowly coming along. thanks for everyones help. going to play with it more when i get home tonight.
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:46 pm

Dan wrote:

In #4, when I save a track in the Garmin, it always reduces large tracks data to 500 points. My unit can only hold 20 saved tracks, 500 points each.

Here's a tip...

At the start of a trail, turn ON the TRACK LOG, then at the end of that trail, turn OFF the TRACK LOG. This separates the track log so that the track start and end can be properly identified. I found that it was impossible to identify trails when the TRACK LOG runs continuously. Turning it OFF, then right back to ON, will break the recording into identifible segments.

Dan,

I could have a lengthy discussion on all this but It would be a ton of typing and I don't think I would make sense.

Sometime when we get together to ride again you and I can talk about what we have learned about this little devils.

What is perplexing is the lack of detailed information from Garmin on how their software and GPRs really work. I don;t understand the reasoning behind the 20 Tracks Maximum and the 500 Points issue. These restrictions I am sure are for a good reason but they should strive to eliminate these issues in my opinion.

It sure would solve alot of issues that POWER USERS have with the units.
Back to top Go down
ollie
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:20 pm

Thanks again Rooster. i got them erased. going to turn it on when i got to work and back. want to see how well i map it. Saturday me and my brother are going to map a little trail by the house. just testing myself with it. Guess when i get up there i'll owe you a beer or some hot wings. Thumb
Back to top Go down
Rooster
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:14 pm

ollie wrote:
Thanks again Rooster. i got them erased. going to turn it on when i got to work and back. want to see how well i map it. Saturday me and my brother are going to map a little trail by the house. just testing myself with it. Guess when i get up there i'll owe you a beer or some hot wings. Thumb

Love those Hooter's Hot Wings. Eye Candy ain't bad either. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ollie
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:24 pm

you got it! i Love Hooters! the resturant too.

I signed up at geocoaching.com. got me a couple easy caches to try on my way home tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
ollie
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:43 pm

ok, how do i get the caches off my screen and get it back on tracking?
Back to top Go down
Venture420

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:52 pm

if i understand the question correctly, you are wanting to make the geocaches not appear when in normal map mode or in tracking mode.
alittle background -
geocaches are stored like any waypoint. this means that they will appear on screen when within the set zoom like any other waypoint will.

as far as i know the only way to make the caches disappear is go into the map set up page. to do this hit "menu" while on the map page then scroll to "setup map". then go into the points settings. go down to user waypoints and set it to 20ft. this will make user waypoints such as geocaches or any other user created waypoint disappear unless you are zoomed in within 20 ft.
now unless you turned tracking off it should still be on. if you turned it off you will have to go back to the tracking page and turn it back on.

I am sorry if the directions seem extremely simple I do not know anything about your experience level so I made the directions as detailed as possible.
Back to top Go down
Venture420

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:54 pm

p.s. good luck hope you love it. remember think like you were the person who hid it. it should be hard to stumble upon unless looking for it. look for places with easy coverage. if you are in an industrial area they may have used a magnet to hide it. hint hint.
Back to top Go down
ollie
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:58 pm

expirence, very very little! but your instructions worked perfect! thanks rock bottom!
Back to top Go down
ollie
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:59 pm

yea, this unit put me right on it, i mean RIGHT ON IT!
Back to top Go down
ollie
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:02 am

all right i did it before, can't get it to work now! conected to computer, cannot get it to down load from geocoaching to my gps, what am i missing??
Back to top Go down
Tennessee Tornado
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:24 am

Ollie, I had to go thru Garmin's website to download from geocaching.com. I cant get it to download from geocaching.com
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/TennesseeTornado
ollie
CATVR Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:43 pm

Is there a way i can load tracks (caches) and not have them appear on my screen, may me save them on my card?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx   

Back to top Go down

Garmin Tracking Setup Vista HCx
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next